Generational Players-when can you tell? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Generational Players-when can you tell?

Reaction Score
Boston dominating tonight once again. Effortless double-double. Super efficient. No one has dominated in their Freshman year like she has done. Better numbers & impact than Aja in her Freshman year. That is generational.

Not having an awareness and appreciation of prior generations of players severely undermines your “generational” arguments for Boston.

Reaction Score
Are you sure Baylor was the overall favorite to win in Griner's sophomore year? That was year Texas A&M won the national championship and Maya Moore's senior season.

They were the 1 seed and lost to the 2 seed. UCONN was probably number 1 overall- I didn't know that but that was probably the case. I forgot UCONN beat Baylor that year.

Reaction Score
I'm going to try and pin you down by separating facts from opinions.
Facts: EDD played at Delaware and did not win a NCAA championship. I was there, EDD definitely made her Delaware teammates better.
Opinion: Is EDD not to be considered a generational talent because she did not win a championship?
EDD was a generational player at Delaware, just not in the bigger scheme.

Reaction Score
They were the 1 seed and lost to the 2 seed. UCONN was probably number 1 overall- I didn't know that but that was probably the case. I forgot UCONN beat Baylor that year.
That was the season
Stanford broke UConn's 90 game winning streak
UConn beat Notre Dame three times only to lose to them in the Final 4
Baylor beat Texas A&M three times only to lose to them in the Elite 8
This was the last season that Tennessee was 1 seed and they lost to Notre Dame in the Elite 8

I agree with you about Griner and her senior season and her underachieving that season. Did you know that she's never averaged a double-double in any of her college or WNBA seasons?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I truly enjoy engaging in a spirited disagreement with one of the many knowledgeable posters here on the BY, when you call someone "totally idiotic" your argument loses its credibility. Unfortunately, I recognize that our society has increasingly replaced respectful disagreement with name-calling and divisive rhetoric. It is my sincere hope that here on the BY, we can disagree without being disagreeable.
Buzzy didn't actually call anyone "totaly idiotic", he said "using National championships to determine who might be a generational player is totally idiotic". Which I'd probably agree with. The argument was idiotic, not necessarily the one making the argument. Posters here on the BY make really dumb arguments all the time, doesn't necessary mean they themselves are dumb. (although, I suppose if someone makes enough dumb arguments :rolleyes:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Buzzy didn't actually call anyone "totaly idiotic", he said "using National championships to determine who might be a generational player is totally idiotic". Which I'd probably agree with. The argument was idiotic, not necessarily the one making the argument. Posters here on the BY make really dumb arguments all the time, doesn't necessary mean they themselves are dumb. (although, I suppose if someone makes enough dumb arguments :rolleyes:)
To be clear, the remark was made directly in response to my post contending that a generational player should in fact lead their team to a national championship. So yes, it was in fact directed at me. Buzzy has subsequently indicated his regret for his word choice, so I think it’s time we all move on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To be clear, the remark was made directly in response to my post contending that a generational player should in fact lead their team to a national championship. So yes, it was in fact directed at me. Buzzy has subsequently indicated his regret for his word choice, so I think it’s time we all move on.
I can only go by what's actually written.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That was the season
This was the last season that Tennessee was 1 seed and they lost to Notre Dame in the Elite 8

I agree with you about Griner and her senior season and her underachieving that season. Did you know that she's never averaged a double-double in any of her college or WNBA seasons?

Minor correction, but Tennessee was a 1 seed again in 2014. And not surprised about Griner. She's always been a very poor rebounder IMO.

Reaction Score
I just read this thread and a particular incident came to mind in men's college basketball:

By the fall of 1965, UCLA had won two consecutive national championships (1964, 1965). Freshmen couldn't play varsity basketball in those years, but the freshman team could play an exhibition game against the #1 ranked UCLA varsity. Lew Alcindor had 31 points and 21 rebounds to lead the freshman team of Lynn Shackleford, Kenny Heitz, Lucius Allen, and Kent Taylor to defeat the varsity 75-60. UCLA would not win the championship in 1966, but would win the next seven.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar comes to mind when I think of a generational college basketball player.

Reaction Score
I just read this thread and a particular incident came to mind in men's college basketball:

By the fall of 1965, UCLA had won two consecutive national championships (1964, 1965). Freshmen couldn't play varsity basketball in those years, but the freshman team could play an exhibition game against the #1 ranked UCLA varsity. Lew Alcindor had 31 points and 21 rebounds to lead the freshman team of Lynn Shackleford, Kenny Heitz, Lucius Allen, and Kent Taylor to defeat the varsity 75-60. UCLA would not win the championship in 1966, but would win the next seven.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar comes to mind when I think of a generational college basketball player.

Or as Bill Walton said to me, the greatest college basketball player of all time.

Reaction Score
That was the season

Never knew that. Wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom