Gampel Roof Renovation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gampel Roof Renovation

Reaction Score
http://today.uconn.edu/2017/05/summer-construction-ramps-uconn/

Uconnstruction back at it again. Talks about Gampel a bit and the work being done.

The $10 million in repairs involve dislodging each panel from the ceiling, lowering it to the ground, replacing the covering and insulation, and then raising it again for reinstallation. On the exterior, the roof will have a new and safer access system for workers to reach it when needed, and will be resealed to prevent leaks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just imagine the care needed to lower all of those ceramic tiles knowing that each one is irreplaceable. That is pressure, folks.

What about the sh_t colored ones?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just imagine the care needed to lower all of those ceramic tiles knowing that each one is irreplaceable. That is pressure, folks.

This is the part I don't get. I was always lead to understand that these are Patoni ceramic "tiles". Yet when I watch the close-up videos of the proposed fixes, all I see is an aluminum outer skeleton, with fabric over insulating material on the interior. They are basically just covering them up, right?

Reaction Score
This is the part I don't get. I was always lead to understand that these are Patoni ceramic "tiles". Yet when I watch the close-up videos of the proposed fixes, all I see is an aluminum outer skeleton, with fabric over insulating material on the interior. They are basically just covering them up, right?
huh.gif

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Somewhat correct. The Patoni tiles are insulated by the material that's falling off. Don't think of "tiles" in the traditional sense. This is a true Italian innovation.

Not only does it look bad, but it's opening up the elements to havoc on the craftsmanship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's Enzo's genius at work. The workstaff was tasked with covering the insulating material with fabric (which they did) yet Enzo was able to bill for providing specially constructed ceramic tiles. Beyond this, he convinced those in charge that repairs would be such an enormous undertaking that it would require a referendum and an eight figure budget before any repairs could begin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So if the vinyl is peeling off the metallic backing on the panel, why not just leave it as an aluminum colored interior roof, and eliminate repeating this project in 20 years?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The idea that humanity does not have the means or technology to replace a tile if one were to be irreparably broken seems incredibly false, is this part of the Patoni lore troll?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The idea that humanity does not have the means or technology to replace a tile if one were to be irreparably broken seems incredibly false, is this part of the Patoni lore troll?
The kiln explosion that killed the Maestro also took out the kiln and all his notes. He never had a chance to pass the secrets of the family legacy to his children. I suspect that that magic that was the Patoni tile is lost forever.

"The most gratifying thing about being in this career is knowing that the art and mastery of tile has been passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years."

RIP Enzo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom