Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aneesah Morrow would be a good fit.
I think if so-we would target a post like DeBerry from UConn. Weird but true on Latson. Her 2020 AAU team was FBC United based here in Atlanta. At the start of the Summer-she was the starter on that team. Until a skinny rising sophomore from Columbia, SC came in and replaced her. That person was none other than Milaysia Fulwiley. Pretty impressive when you consider that Latson is odds on favorite to win Natl. Freshman of the year.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree they just got hot on Edwards trail after this summer and honestly I don’t blame her as she’s trying to takeover the SEC, why not recruit #2 player in the country that’s possibly going to play in the conference? Dawn recruited Mikaylah Williams so Kim is going to recruit Edwards especially with Reese leaving after next season. I think when it comes down to it, it’s going to be a tough decision for Joyce not to stay home and play with her friends and some former AAU teammates.
I don't think its 'personal' or what the other poster is referring to. To compete and win a national title, you need elite players. All the coaching in the world won't make up for the clear physical talent differentials when you face the upper level teams (SC, UCONN, Stanford etc). There are truly a select number of elite prospects in America every recruiting class and your top programs are all clawing to land those 'impact' players to elevate their programs. For someone like Edwards, every program in America is gunning for her because she is that talented and can be a program changer.

I suspect Joyce will go through the process and evaluate each school carefully as from an outside view, she seems like a talented young lady who comes from a great supporting family. She will more than likely stay home. Its hard to not say no to an elite power in your home state where she can play with many of her AAU teammates and in close proximity to family. And obviously playing under one of the best HC's in WBB in Dawn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree they just got hot on Edwards trail after this summer and honestly I don’t blame her as she’s trying to takeover the SEC, why not recruit #2 player in the country that’s possibly going to play in the conference? Dawn recruited Mikaylah Williams so Kim is going to recruit Edwards especially with Reese leaving after next season. I think when it comes down to it, it’s going to be a tough decision for Joyce not to stay home and play with her friends and some former AAU teammates.
I think Joyce’s decision will come down to two things… proximity to home and/or academic prowess. Not a terrible academic school by any means, but LSU offers neither at a high level. The schools that do intimidate me with Joyce are Duke and UNC because they offer both at a reasonably high level, especially Duke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're really excited about this game.
Well, it's been on my calendar since April 2022.

The excitement has lost a bit of its luster with UConn's injuries but it's still Net 1 vs NET 2.

Of course, it doesn't matter that much in that it's just a regular season game and the tournament looms. But still . . .

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
According to Creme, UConn needs this game more than SC who will be #1 overall regardless. UConn is jockeying LSU for that last #1 seed.

I’m just hoping SC doesn’t play like we don’t need this game.

Reaction Score
According to Creme, UConn needs this game more than SC who will be #1 overall regardless. UConn is jockeying LSU for that last #1 seed.

I don't think UConn wins this game. However, if they did, I'm pretty sure UConn would be the overall #1 seed if they win out the rest of their season, especially if even one of Carolyn or Azzi cameback in March. I also don't think their is chance the SEC gets two number 1 seeds with how week the conference is. It's February and LSU still hasn't even played a ranked team.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn wins this game. However, if they did, I'm pretty sure UConn would be the overall #1 seed if they win out the rest of their season, especially if even one of Carolyn or Azzi cameback in March. I also don't think their is chance the SEC gets two number 1 seeds with how week the conference is. It's February and LSU still hasn't even played a ranked team.
I highly doubt that would be the case. SC can still afford 1 loss, especially to a highly ranked team like UConn and still keep the overall number 1 seed. Also if LSU beats SC or keeps it relatively close, they will definitely try to put LSU as a #1 seed.

Reaction Score

SC isn't going to play that way. Why would you even think that? They are undefeated and the #1 team in the country. They may not play well in this game but it's not going to be because of lack of motivation. SMH

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that would be the case. SC can still afford 1 loss, especially to a highly ranked team like UConn and still keep the overall number 1 seed. Also if LSU beats SC or keeps it relatively close, they will definitely try to put LSU as a #1 seed.
Yea but when you look at resumes, UConn's would be stronger. They'll have more quad 1 wins, and will have won the head to head and have had similar record with harder strength of schedule. And their only losses will have happened with 2-3 starters out of the game. I'd be shocked if UConn won, but if they did they would have the inside track to the overall number 1 seed. Right now they are #2 in NET but a win could change that.

And LSU- maybe, but they just got taken to overtime at home by Georgia so seems unlikely. With their SOS, two losses could put them on the three seed line imo.

Reaction Score

I know what you/Creme are saying. However, UConn is Net#2 and the needle barely moves

Reaction Score
Yea but when you look at resumes, UConn's would be stronger. They'll have more quad 1 wins, and will have won the head to head and have had similar record with harder strength of schedule. And their only losses will have happened with 2-3 starters out of the game. I'd be shocked if UConn won, but if they did they would have the inside track to the overall number 1 seed. Right now they are #2 in NET but a win could change that.

And LSU- maybe, but they just got taken to overtime at home by Georgia so seems unlikely. With their SOS, two losses could put them on the three seed line imo.
I don't disagree about the resume but the dominant way SC has played this year would still give them edge even with a head to head loss. SC would need a 2nd loss or to lose in a blowout for them be dropped from that spot right now.

As for LSU if they lose twice this season and only at the hands of SC they will likely be a 2 seed, 3 seed if they are pure blowouts. If they can keep it really close in those matchups they could still find themselves as a 1 seed depending on who loses amongst the top teams to end the season.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree about the resume but the dominant way SC has played this year would still give them edge even with a head to head loss. SC would need a 2nd loss or to lose in a blowout for them be dropped from that spot right now.

As for LSU if they lose twice this season and only at the hands of SC they will likely be a 2 seed, 3 seed if they are pure blowouts. If they can keep it really close in those matchups they could still find themselves as a 1 seed depending on who loses amongst the top teams to end the season.
The dominant way SC has played this year? They have played three ranked teams, two of them single digit wins, one of them in over time and the one that wasn't close, Maryland, was playing without their best player. If they were to lose to an undermanned and depleted UConn team I don't think they have a strong case for the number 1 overall seed objectively.

Now, I do think South Carolina is better than UConn and will win out over the weekend by a large margin. So I do think they WILL be the overall number one seed. BUT I think if things don't go as we all expect them to over the weekend UConn would actually have a stronger resume going into the tournament than maybe you realize.

Reaction Score
The dominant way SC has played this year? They have played three ranked teams, two of them single digit wins, one of them in over time and the one that wasn't close, Maryland, was playing without their best player. If they were to lose to an undermanned and depleted UConn team I don't think they have a strong case for the number 1 overall seed objectively.

Now, I do think South Carolina is better than UConn and will win out over the weekend by a large margin. So I do think they WILL be the overall number one seed. BUT I think if things don't go as we all expect them to over the weekend UConn would actually have a stronger resume going into the tournament than maybe you realize.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. SC plays a projected top 10 SOS and leads the country in margin of victory. I'm not doubting UConn's resume at all and believe that UConn is likely a #1 seed regardless what happens this weekend. Even undermanned UConn is still a top 5 team in the country.

In a season where there has been no consistency across the board with top teams, I believe that SC has been steady enough to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Even if they lose a close one, to a undermanned Top 5 UConn in Storrs, I still believe that the committee would still give SC the #1 overall seed.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. SC plays a projected top 10 SOS and leads the country in margin of victory. I'm not doubting UConn's resume at all and believe that UConn is likely a #1 seed regardless what happens this weekend. Even undermanned UConn is still a top 5 team in the country.

In a season where there has been no consistency across the board with top teams, I believe that SC has been steady enough to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Even if they lose a close one, to a undermanned Top 5 UConn in Storrs, I still believe that the committee would still give SC the #1 overall seed.
My point is a hypothetical one and take Uconn and South Carolina out of it: a one loss team with a top ten SOS isn't going to be put above a 2 loss team with the #1 SOS in the country (as currently predicted) that they lost a head to head battle to, imo at least. Especially when you factor in the two loss team only lost games with two or more starters out, who would be back in the line up by time the tournament starts.

Sunday will make this conversation moot anyways - I don't think South Carolina will even be UConn's last loss before the NCAA tournament so this is completely hypothetical.

Reaction Score
UConn has actuall lost to Maryland and Notre Dame and their best win is over 3 loss Duke or 4 loss Iowa.

I don't even know what you should do with that. Just saying.

I don't really care if SCar is the overall #1 seed or not but it seems right what Crème said that it won't change if SCar loses on the road to UConn.

Reaction Score
Last time SC/UConn played (NC game): SC led by 14 after 1 and wins game by 15.

SC/UConn regular season 23: on the road in a very hostile environment (sellout/whiteout/championship throwbacks) SC trailed by 11 after 1, then out scores UConn by 15 over the last 3 quarters to win by 4.

despite poor shooting Zia (great D on her by A-Griffin) the entire game and spotty FT shooting at the end making score a little closer/comfortable, another impressive & important victory for the program.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Last time SC/UConn played (NC game): SC led by 14 after 1 and wins game by 15.

SC/UConn regular season 23: on the road in a very hostile environment (sellout/whiteout/championship throwbacks) SC trailed by 11 after 1, then out scores UConn by 15 over the last 3 quarters to win by 4.

despite poor shooting Zia (great D on her by A-Griffin) the entire game and spotty FT shooting at the end making score a little closer/comfortable, another impressive & important victory for the program.
Yep. I’m letting whoever needs the moral victory have it. It’s not easy to win at Connecticut, especially in a game of this magnitude. Ask any opposing fan if it’s an easy win no matter the Connecticut team and they’ll say no.

It wasn’t an A game from SC, but proud of our team no less. Fought through it.

Reaction Score
Can we talk about Raven Johnson for a second? A Star in the making! She had 14 points and 7 assists with 0 turnovers and held Muhl in check! Love it! Next year she’s going to be special!

If 2-3 of those rim outs drop.... that's what you're looking at going forward.

I'm not sure how elite next year's team will be but she's going to be fun.

Reaction Score
If 2-3 of those rim outs drop.... that's what you're looking at going forward.

I'm not sure how elite next year's team will be but she's going to be fun.
Her and Cardoso are a good duo to start with that’s for sure! I said it in April Saxton should’ve moved on and I still stand by that statement. Feagin and Watkins really could’ve been getting those minutes and possibly could’ve been thriving in them.

Reaction Score
Her and Cardoso are a good duo to start with that’s for sure! I said it in April Saxton should’ve moved on and I still stand by that statement. Feagin and Watkins really could’ve been getting those minutes and possibly could’ve been thriving in them.
I would've loved to see Watkins defend Griffin and Feagin on Edwards. They both would've lost their respective matchups due to their lack of experience but I really think those two are the most comparable athletes and body types to make it as unenjoyable of an experience as possible while UConn was on offense.

Reaction Score
I would've loved to see Watkins defend Griffin and Feagin on Edwards. They both would've lost their respective matchups due to their lack of experience but I really think those two are the most comparable athletes and body types to make it as unenjoyable of an experience as possible while UConn was on offense.
The caveat on Feagin from Dawn is that she has to learn to play consistent defense but I definitely think she would’ve been a positive in this game as she was in the Stanford game imo. They’ll definitely get their chance against them either to end this season or in the CLA next year. Definitely will be some fun interesting matchups.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really solid win for SC despite not playing their best game. Started slow in the first but just wore out UCONN by the end, despite the Huskies making a final push.

In terms of players:

Boston-started slow, absolutely dominated the second half. I think Clark is the clear cut POY but I’m not sure any other player’s impact on both ends is as significant as Boston. She just draws so much attention and makes the most of her opportunities.

Cooke-poor shooting night and had some really bad choice of shots in the early second half. Once SC went away from her they thrived. I thought she played really solid defense on LLS.

Raven Johnson-brilliant game for her and I think she’s cemented herself as the top point guard. 14 points, 7 assists, 0 TO in 36 minutes and played great defense. I thought she was baited into too many perimeter shots in the second but overall this was the best game I’ve seen from her all year.

Cardoso-played well, got the brunt of make up fouls at the end of the game and had the tech. Really good game aside from the T. She’s really coming into her own, and the combo of her and Boston is darn near unstoppable with how good both are on the glass and finishing around the rim.

I was surprised with how short SC’s bench was. Probably a good sign for them though since they still have a multitude of weapons and depth available if there’s foul trouble or if a star has an off game. The team needs to close out games better—too many fouls down the stretch, a bad T by Cardoso and they created a window for UCONN to fight back.

For UCONN I thought they really battled and came out swinging. Aaliyah Edwards was stellar offensively, Aubrey Griffin was terrific on both ends and I thought Lopez-Senechal also battled and proved to be a really capable scorer despite getting hounded all night. Foul trouble and Geno’s technical were costly. Lots of things to feel good about for UCONN fans. I think they’re probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in basketball right now with Indiana being comparable. Adding Fudd undoubtedly impacts chemistry so the sooner she returns the better for UCONN.

Overall I thought the reffing was not consistent on either end. Some bad calls followed by bad make up calls. Not sure how Zia Cooke getting bashed in the face is a foul on her, or how the refs missed the handoff late in the game. Hope it improves, but overall a really solid game and atmosphere for a marquee matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom