Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bree of the bench to lead all scorers!

7/13 fgs
4/& 3 pointers18 points
4rbs.

Go bench!
Love it! Great to see her take advantage of the opportunity.

Something about road games at Alabama that has resulted with some closer than comfort victories over the last few years.

If Stanford is a school that is attractive to Edwards, I would have to imagine Duke could be a threat given the added benefit of being close to home along with the success on the court they’re putting together. She has already visited Durham.

Reaction Score
I probably asked this question before, but what schools are this young lady considering?
I don't think she has narrowed down her list yet but she's been on a lot visits. She came to SC wearing a Yale shirt if that means anything.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Love it! Great to see her take advantage of the opportunity.

Something about road games at Alabama that has resulted with some closer than comfort victories over the last few years.

If Stanford is a school that is attractive to Edwards, I would have to imagine Duke could be a threat given the added benefit of being close to home along with the success on the court they’re putting together. She has already visited Durham.

I like the way you are thinking, I like the way you are thinking. She can stay close (but not too close) to home, help us restore order, and get away from that trash mustard based bbq :p:D:eek:;)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like the way you are thinking, I like the way you are thinking. She can stay close (but not too close) to home, help us restore order, and get away from that trash mustard based bbq :p:D:eek:;)
I don't think Camden is in the mustard belt.

Reaction Score
Tessa went off against nationally ranked Hopkins. Scored 19 points first half and finished with 27 for the game. Hopkins has nationally ranked players down the roster from top 50 Stanford Signee NuNu Agara and Michigan Signee Taylor Woodson to Top 15 ‘24 recruit Alivia McGill (who SC is recruiting).

Reaction Score
February should be an exciting month for us Gamecock fans. This season seems to be bookended with challenging games. We had a challenging November followed by an easier Dec and Jan. Now we enter the final stretch in Feb with top 10 matchups against UConn and LSU. Plus, we have games against some of the top teams in the SEC in Tennessee, Ole Miss and Georgia. It should be a fun month of games!

Reaction Score
Tessa went off against nationally ranked Hopkins. Scored 19 points first half and finished with 27 for the game. Hopkins has nationally ranked players down the roster from top 50 Stanford Signee NuNu Agara and Michigan Signee Taylor Woodson to Top 15 ‘24 recruit Alivia McGill (who SC is recruiting).

her control & that pull-up J ✅

the more i see, read, & hear about Tessa, the more I come away impressed with her game & abilities . Even though she’s a 5⭐️ & HS AA, she still seems a tad bit under the radar but I kind of like it . so glad she is Gamecock

Reaction Score
I watched the Alabama game last night, and a couple of things struck me.

1) SC's defense is superb. No one on Ala was capable of getting past a one-on-one defender for the entire first quarter. Ala's points required either a perimeter shot or some serious screening. By serious, I mean on the verge of getting whistled for moving. SC is just too big and quick.

2) even with that amazing defensive effort, the team looked... what's the right word?... uninspired, especially on offense. It seemed like they were mailing it in at some moments. That changed in the second half, when Ala didn't simply fold. Their engagement level went way up then.

I think they are hungry for a challenge like the one they got from Stanford. This bodes really well for the later rounds of the tournament, when they'll finally get to play some real competition. Of course, the games against LSU and Tennessee should also help a bit. They need to be tested to keep their minds in it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

1) SC's defense is superb. No one on Ala was capable of getting past a one-on-one defender for the entire first quarter. Ala's points required either a perimeter shot or some serious screening. By serious, I mean on the verge of getting whistled for moving. SC is just too big and quick.

2) even with that amazing defensive effort, the team looked... what's the right word?... uninspired, especially on offense. It seemed like they were mailing it in at some moments. That changed in the second half, when Ala didn't simply fold. Their engagement level went way up then.

I think they are hungry for a challenge like the one they got from Stanford. This bodes really well for the later rounds of the tournament, when they'll finally get to play some real competition. Of course, the games against LSU and Tennessee should also help a bit. They need to be tested to keep their minds in it.
And it didn’t help that the team was coming off a break. Kentucky will be a good test before going on the road for UConn.

Great game from Hall, who is already showing that she’s going to be a valuable two-way player going forward. And Raven Johnson is just a star. And she’s just getting started. I remember seeing some folks question her ranking, but she’s showing flashes of brilliance. Very cerebral on the court.

Reaction Score
Raven is my favorite up and coming player. An absolute start. When she and Breezy are on the court the speed is game changing.

Reaction Score
Raven is my favorite up and coming player. An absolute start. When she and Breezy are on the court the speed is game changing.
with the players that remain & the new ones coming in, I expect Dawn to run more transition game next year - more akin to the 2019/2020 team’s style of play. excluding Cardoso (if she returns), the other returning bigs (Feagin & Watkins) run the floor like big guards . Add Fulwiley to that mix, that speed will be tough to match.

Reaction Score
with the players that remain & the new ones coming in, I expect Dawn to run more transition game next year - more akin to the 2019/2020 team’s style of play. excluding Cardoso (if she returns), the other returning bigs (Feagin & Watkins) run the floor like big guards . Add Fulwiley to that mix, that speed will be tough to match.
you forget the possibility that Latecia and Brea could return. Not gonna bump Brea's defense off the court.

Reaction Score

good insight. definitely felt the same about the play. kind of a ‘get in, get out, & doesn’t matter who’ mentality. and even though after the 1st quarter SC never ‘shook‘ Bama, I never got a feeling of worry or doubt that they would win. also, as the game winded down, I thought Bama was just happy to keep it ‘respectable’ as they never pressed the issue,tried to speed up SC, even foul once in the 4th despite being down 10 or 12 pts for the majority of it - still sat in that saggy zone and let clock run. Maybe for good reason- similar type game against Kentucky earlier & when they came out their zone, SC blitzed them in the 4th & won by 30

Reaction Score
you forget the possibility that Latecia and Brea could return. Not gonna bump Brea's defense off the court.
never say never & would love them to come back, but I don’t know, I just get the feeling that class/group is gone after this year. ‘came in together, won together, going out together’ kind of thing. could be wrong though…

Reaction Score
I brought this up on another board which I think most of you Gamecock fans comment on, but who could you see Dawn going after in the transfer portal if all seniors leave and God forbid any others leave. Not just positions but players you could see looking for greener pastures. Here are a few that I wonder about (not saying they will be a fit ... just could see them look elsewhere for more playing time or a chance at a championship).... Jersey Wolfenbarger, Aneesah Morrow, Amari Deberry, Taniya Latson (hs teammate of Raven), Janiah Barker, Lauren Betts. Someone on another site mentioned Jewell Speir. Just curious to see what others think. Some of these are long shots to transfer I'm sure!
I was looking for Jewel Spear in the transfer portal the last couple of years. She must like it at Wake Forest. She is a lethal shooter/ scorer.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I brought this up on another board which I think most of you Gamecock fans comment on, but who could you see Dawn going after in the transfer portal if all seniors leave and God forbid any others leave. Not just positions but players you could see looking for greener pastures. Here are a few that I wonder about (not saying they will be a fit ... just could see them look elsewhere for more playing time or a chance at a championship).... Jersey Wolfenbarger, Aneesah Morrow, Amari Deberry, Taniya Latson (hs teammate of Raven), Janiah Barker, Lauren Betts. Someone on another site mentioned Jewell Speir. Just curious to see what others think. Some of these are long shots to transfer I'm sure!
Transfer speculation is typically frowned upon on tBY so I won't mention names, but if SC loses the entire 2019 class I do think SC hits the portal hard. Cardoso has two years of eligibility and I think she'll stay for at least one of those years.

I think SC needs to get a 5 in the 6'4+ range. We are going after a few in the '24 class but they'd still be pretty young and we'd be very thin by then.

Reaction Score
never say never & would love them to come back, but I don’t know, I just get the feeling that class/group is gone after this year. ‘came in together, won together, going out together’ kind of thing. could be wrong though…
There’s an irony, I suppose, if they win a second NC and lose all the seniors. But they might very well think they’ve accomplished everything so why stick around in college and risk injury when they could so easily turn pro.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was looking for Jewel Spear in the transfer portal the last couple of years. She must like it at Wake Forest. She is a lethal shooter/ scorer.
Aint no way she would leave Wake Forest for South Carolina. Keep yall grubby paws talonsoutta the Triad :p In all seriousness... I get the feeling that she loves it in Winston Salem, she had a chance to go into the portal after the season, but she stayed. Plus she is just one year away from getting her Wake Forest degree... I don't see why anyone would transfer after their junior year. As either an athlete, or a regular student.

Transfer speculation is typically frowned upon on tBY so I won't mention names, but if SC loses the entire 2019 class I do think SC hits the portal hard. Cardoso has two years of eligibility and I think she'll stay for at least one of those years.

I think SC needs to get a 5 in the 6'4+ range. We are going after a few in the '24 class but they'd still be pretty young and we'd be very thin by then.

Transfer speculation is banned when it comes to UConn players... never got the idea that it was frowned upon for players of other schools. That being said, we will be dipping into the portal again.... maybe just for two players. We need an athletic post, and a wing defender would be nice ... .... fyi to any perspective players. aint no mustard bbq in Durham or in the Triad.

Reaction Score
Aint no way she would leave Wake Forest for South Carolina. Keep yall grubby paws talonsoutta the Triad :p In all seriousness... I get the feeling that she loves it in Winston Salem, she had a chance to go into the portal after the season, but she stayed. Plus she is just one year away from getting her Wake Forest degree... I don't see why anyone would transfer after their junior year. As either an athlete, or a regular student.

Transfer speculation is banned when it comes to UConn players... never got the idea that it was frowned upon for players of other schools. That being said, we will be dipping into the portal again.... maybe just for two players. We need an athletic post, and a wing defender would be nice ... .... fyi to any perspective players. aint no mustard bbq in Durham or in the Triad.
Read between the lines. They were speculating about a UConn player.

Reaction Score

Is it vinegar or ketchup in that part of NC?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Aneesah Morrow would be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99