triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Top 5 reasons Dauda transferred to SC

1/ she wanted to come
2/ we have schollys to give
3/ Dawn loves her game
4/ added size & depth for roster in case of injury
5/ possibility Ashlyn Watkins leaves for WNBA after her junior year (she will be 22 & eligible) . Dauda is nice 25 post roster insurance if that happens

Eh ok.
Let's let Dawn explain it to you:

Good thing I love Coach Staley. I'll might let yall slide this time.

Reaction Score
I give a lot of credit for Lawson having the nerve to continue playing us.

And big respect always for Geno playing us when there was no reason to and not abandoning the series when it went bad.

I can see why some teams that have had to go back to the drawing board might have dropped us hopefully temporarily.
When it went bad? What? Have you kicked our ass a few times? Yes. Have we had crazy depleted rosters when you did it? Also yes. Geno doesn't duck anyone, never has. When Geno agreed to this series, we had a stocked roster that probably would've beaten SC a few of those times. This is almost laughable.

Reaction Score
Who? Sakima Walker? I kind of figured she moved on but I guess it is possible she is still with the team.
Curious as to why you thought she'd moved on. I haven't seen any rumors of a transfer.

Reaction Score
When it went bad? What? Have you kicked our ass a few times? Yes. Have we had crazy depleted rosters when you did it? Also yes. Geno doesn't duck anyone, never has. When Geno agreed to this series, we had a stocked roster that probably would've beaten SC a few of those times. This is almost laughable.

There are programs that used to schedule SCar that stopped doing it after SCar started kicking their ass. Geno isn't heading one of those programs. That's the kudos.

Reaction Score
Curious as to why you thought she'd moved on. I haven't seen any rumors of a transfer.
She was a senior with a Covid year. Usually there is a online announcement about returning for a Covid year and to my knowledge she never posted one so I assumed she just quietly left the program.

Reaction Score
There are programs that used to schedule SCar that stopped doing it after SCar started kicking their ass. Geno isn't heading one of those programs. That's the kudos.
Who is Lindsey Gotlieb for 200 Alex?lol

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Yes the last time we played you, your roster was depleted, but I know you are not insinuating that all of the 5 losses were attributed to that reason alone, are you?

Reaction Score
But South Carolina isn't "kicking our ass" because of UCONN falling back, it's because of 3 years of catastrophic injuries. It's laughable that South Carolina fans don't recognize this.

Reaction Score
But South Carolina isn't "kicking our ass" because of UCONN falling back, it's because of 3 years of catastrophic injuries. It's laughable that South Carolina fans don't recognize this.
I offer no opinions on the reason for the ass kickings.

Reaction Score
two season ago, SC beat UConn by 16 in the Bahamas at the start of the season & then again by 15 in the NC. Both teams played with predominantly full rosters for both games. and don’t give me the ‘Fudd wasn’t all the way back from her HS injury yet’ or she had a tummy ache, b/c Sc lost Raven Johnson to an ACL at the start of the season, so she was unable to play in either game.

as for ‘ass kicking’, i read it as just an enthusiastic figure of speech to illustrate a winning streak. All SC fans I know rightfully respect UConn as the women’s BB standard and all-time greatest program. However, I have noticed some fans of other teams can be a little thin-skinned at any comment they perceive as a crack, and at the same time, quick to downplay SC‘s rise, record, & accomplishments over the past decade due to their team’s shortcomings, bad breaks, or whatever.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know $CAR fans get tired of other fans coming into their thread starting mess. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
two season ago, SC beat UConn by 16 in the Bahamas at the start of the season & then again by 15 in the NC. Both teams played with predominantly full rosters for both games. and don’t give me the ‘Fudd wasn’t all the way back from her HS injury yet’ or she had a tummy ache, b/c Sc lost Raven Johnson to an ACL at the start of the season, so she was unable to play in either game.

as for ‘ass kicking’, i read it as just an enthusiastic figure of speech to illustrate a winning streak. All SC fans I know rightfully respect UConn as the women’s BB standard and all-time greatest program. However, I have noticed some fans of other teams can be a little thin-skinned at any comment they perceive as a crack, and at the same time, quick to downplay SC‘s rise, record, & accomplishments over the past decade due to their team’s shortcomings, bad breaks, or whatever.
What difference does Raven Johnson have to do with Fudd? Basketball is not a game of one--on-one. The fact you are comparing the two imo shows an incredible bias. Fudd averaged 27.9 mpg and 12.1 ppg in which she was the 3rd leading scorer and the other 2 Paige and Cwil were 1st and second while Raven’s 1st year in which she was a red shirt she only averaged 8 mpg and a whopping 4.2 ppg. UCONN built their offense around the perimeter - thus needed Fudd a lot more,

Secondly, Aubrey Griffin was out. The year prior when UCONN played South Carolina and beta them Aubrey paled half the game yet she was tied with Ododa for leading in rebounds. UOCNN was forced to play big. She was not available. In addition - Dorka was just new to the team - hand a huge bandage on her right hand. While that doesn't appear to be much it is a fact - and if you add up no Fudd, No Griffin and a new member in about 4th game playing for UCONN who is a finesse big had a huge bandage on her right hand to dismiss in the manner you are doing and as a comparison you are using an 8 minute 4.2 as a counter is pretty outrageous. Not saying UCONN was going to win or better just scorer saying South Carolian never had to face a full-blown UCONN team that was built around their perimeter and their ability to score from the outside.

Reaction Score
Now back to South Carolina. Hats-off to you SC fans – man what a great pickup Dauda is. Your Coach Dawn is amazing. Amazing. I think this pickup is enormous. It should solidify you as #1 if not already.

Can I ask any Scar fans though whey they think Tac might be better? I’ve gone on YT and hearing from some of the vids there is a question as to Tac might be better as if they are “even.” She is just one inch taller. Dauda has performed. I believe Dauda though just solidifies your front I think as the backup behind Watkins. Your team’s options now are off the charts in which you are also loaded with upperclassmen.

I believe though your frontcourt doesn’t have a superstar just all really really really really good frontcourt players. Which means Dawn is going to use her frontcourt bench again (I do believe Joyce is a superstar in the making whenever that may be whether it be this year or next etc). Your team is tremendous. What is going to bug me is that I often argue with my UCONN brethren that the bench isn’t as important at because UCONN has super players. So the thing is, South Carolina may not have super frontcourt players but what they do have are many that are about the same. Which mans of course you can use your bench a lot became you aren’t losing much from player to player unlike UCONN. It’s just that many UCONN fans love bench play the way your team is doing it – so I fear another super season from South Carolina (win title or not) – and I’m gonna have to hear again throughout this year and next UCONN fans want Geno to be more like Dawn. Haha – not good for me. Anyways, Good luck!

Reaction Score
What difference does Raven Johnson have to do with Fudd? Basketball is not a game of one--on-one. The fact you are comparing the two imo shows an incredible bias. Fudd averaged 27.9 mpg and 12.1 ppg in which she was the 3rd leading scorer and the other 2 Paige and Cwil were 1st and second while Raven’s 1st year in which she was a red shirt she only averaged 8 mpg and a whopping 4.2 ppg. UCONN built their offense around the perimeter - thus needed Fudd a lot more,

Secondly, Aubrey Griffin was out. The year prior when UCONN played South Carolina and beta them Aubrey paled half the game yet she was tied with Ododa for leading in rebounds. UOCNN was forced to play big. She was not available. In addition - Dorka was just new to the team - hand a huge bandage on her right hand. While that doesn't appear to be much it is a fact - and if you add up no Fudd, No Griffin and a new member in about 4th game playing for UCONN who is a finesse big had a huge bandage on her right hand to dismiss in the manner you are doing and as a comparison you are using an 8 minute 4.2 as a counter is pretty outrageous. Not saying UCONN was going to win or better just scorer saying South Carolian never had to face a full-blown UCONN team that was built around their perimeter and their ability to score from the outside.
just to clarify. Raven tore her ACL in the second game of her fresh season. Coming in as the second ranked player (to fudd) & the only other pg on team, she was slated to play significant minutes as Destiny’s backup. This carried over to her sophomore season (rs) where she was brought back slowly, sharing pg duties with Fletcher. Now back healthy, we all see the player she has become .

I also dream of a day when both teams are fully healthy & can truly matchup so no more ‘asterisks’ for SC wins in the game’s history.
When it was UConn doing the ass-kicking SCar fans had lots of reasons. :)
Yeah - you were better

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm begging us to move on from this debate of who had a full roster and who didn't. The record is what it is. No opinions are changing no matter how often the same information is repeated.

This thread is about the upcoming '24-'25 season.

Reaction Score
Now back to South Carolina. Hats-off to you SC fans – man what a great pickup Dauda is. Your Coach Dawn is amazing. Amazing. I think this pickup is enormous. It should solidify you as #1 if not already.

Can I ask any Scar fans though whey they think Tac might be better? I’ve gone on YT and hearing from some of the vids there is a question as to Tac might be better as if they are “even.” She is just one inch taller. Dauda has performed. I believe Dauda though just solidifies your front I think as the backup behind Watkins. Your team’s options now are off the charts in which you are also loaded with upperclassmen.

I believe though your frontcourt doesn’t have a superstar just all really really really really good frontcourt players. Which means Dawn is going to use her frontcourt bench again (I do believe Joyce is a superstar in the making whenever that may be whether it be this year or next etc). Your team is tremendous. What is going to bug me is that I often argue with my UCONN brethren that the bench isn’t as important at because UCONN has super players. So the thing is, South Carolina may not have super frontcourt players but what they do have are many that are about the same. Which mans of course you can use your bench a lot became you aren’t losing much from player to player unlike UCONN. It’s just that many UCONN fans love bench play the way your team is doing it – so I fear another super season from South Carolina (win title or not) – and I’m gonna have to hear again throughout this year and next UCONN fans want Geno to be more like Dawn. Haha – not good for me. Anyways, Good luck!
Some around the program suggest Tac is actually closer to 6’6 - she has good hands that can catch the ball & has nice touch around the basketball. Dawn has compared Tac’s level of understanding of the game (at least from the defensive side of the ball) at this point in her career to Boston’s high BB IQ. She is very high on her potential to be the next great big at SC . Dauda is a very nice player. Glad to have her - an unexpected but welcome addition for more depth and post options . She ensures Tac can be brought along slowly from her knee injury last year (she is expected to fully participate in offseason workouts) . However, she (Dauda) seems a little thin so I worry about her getting moved around by bulkier 5s & 4s down low. I still expect Feagin & Watson to play the majority of minutes at the 5 for SC next season

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I think all coaches have their individual coaching style and should stick to what has always worked for them. I can't recall Geno ever being a coach that went very deep, even when he had a bench of very talented players. In contrast, bench depth has always been a part of Dawn's program. She's always played her bench, even when she didn't have the same talent on her bench as her starters (Go back to the early Wilson and Coates years for proof of this). The difference the last few years has been the depth of talent has improved, so she has a starting 5 and a next 5-7 that's also just as talented, so now you see games where the bench outscores the starters. And because of her coaching style of developing her bench in game, young players grow up quick.

Now, Dawn has a culture in place where players can expect to contribute regardless of how much talent is on the roster, and for the most part you will play as long as you can defend. That's why a player like Maryam Dauda decides to join a roster with 5-6 already talented forwards, she knows she's going to get better as a player AND get playing time.

For '24-'25, I won't even begin to speculate who the starters are going to be. What I do know is that Dawn has a bevy of very talented forwards, regardless of whether they are considered superstars or not, they can all hoop and will give anybody buckets. I also know that our backcourt is scrappy and equally talented, and Fulwiley and Johnson will push Pao and Raven for playing time.. but they will all play and create one of the best backcourts in the country.

Developing your bench in real games during the season (and not just in practice) is how you can lose 5 starters on a Final Four team and come back to win the championship the following year with 5 new starters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
just to clarify. Raven tore her ACL in the second game of her fresh season. Coming in as the second ranked player (to fudd) & the only other pg on team, she was slated to play significant minutes as Destiny’s backup. This carried over to her sophomore season (rs) where she was brought back slowly, sharing pg duties with Fletcher. Now back healthy, we all see the player she has become .

I also dream of a day when both teams are fully healthy & can truly matchup so no more ‘asterisks’ for SC wins in the game’s history.

Yeah - you were better

To me the past is the past. Last year's game is just as much a memory as the first 8 games. I'm looking forward to next season's regular season game. Of course I felt the same in June of 22 & 23.
UConn hasn't lost this much to a team since Diggins played for NDame. But all nightmares end and I think UConn's long nightmare is over. ;)

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Elite post prospect and family: Why should we strongly consider South Carolina?

Coach Dawn Staley (while showing them film of today's Sky-Fever game):

shannon-sharpe.gif

Reaction Score
To me the past is the past. Last year's game is just as much a memory as the first 8 games. I'm looking forward to next season's regular season game. Of course I felt the same in June of 22 & 23.
UConn hasn't lost this much to a team since Diggins played for NDame. But all nightmares end and I think UConn's long nightmare is over. ;)
Best wishes for a great game .

Reaction Score
When it was UConn doing the ass-kicking SCar fans had lots of reasons. :)
Ha, UConn was just better.

Had All Americans at every position.

Carolina just did not quite have it yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom