Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One

Reaction Score
I'll take ten supporting non-stars who average ten points apiece (and play tough defense)
That's an illusion. You aren't going to get 10 players in big games that are tight/close that all score 10 each in which you can rely on. You don't see that success type in pros - so why do you think that it best in college? Basketball is mostly a game of fundamentals. And your team has terrific guards, wings and posts and under Dawn's tutelage are always undeniably fundamentally sound.

On the flipside you are going against other super all-Americans in big games at times. And one of the things super player's do is that they make other players better. They have the capability of beating very good defenses.

And your SoCar team can certainly do that this year too. You have Raven, Paopao, Fulwiley, Watson, and while you may not believe but Joyce Edwards is a candidate to be a super player in year 1 just like some of the frosh superstars this past year only she would have better support than they did too.:)

If any of these players explode, there is no way you are going to want to keep them on the bench. You’re going to want to challenge the other team to stop them.

Reaction Score
That's an illusion. You aren't going to get 10 players in big games that are tight/close that all score 10 each in which you can rely on. You don't see that success type in pros - so why do you think that it best in college? Basketball is mostly a game of fundamentals. And your team has terrific guards, wings and posts and under Dawn's tutelage are always undeniably fundamentally sound.

On the flipside you are going against other super all-Americans in big games at times. And one of the things super player's do is that they make other players better. They have the capability of beating very good defenses.

And your SoCar team can certainly do that this year too. You have Raven, Paopao, Fulwiley, Watson, and while you may not believe but Joyce Edwards is a candidate to be a super player in year 1 just like some of the frosh superstars this past year only she would have better support than they did too.:)

If any of these players explode, there is no way you are going to want to keep them on the bench. You’re going to want to challenge the other team to stop them.
No. That ideal won’t happen. But ach player is capable of double digit points against solid teams.

Every player in our team started at least one game. No player started every game. Players 6-9 ( Fulwiley, Tessa, Ashlyn and Feagan ) were all top scorers in at least one game. The first half of the season Fulwiley and Ashlynn both played significant first half minutes against quality opponents. Tessa and Feagin joined them in the second half of the season. Our comeback in the championship game was spearheaded by Fulwiley and Tessa

All nine of our rotation played significant roles. Okay, that rotation is down by one but add Edwards or Dauda and it’s right back - potentially.

Reaction Score
No. That ideal won’t happen. But ach player is capable of double digit points against solid teams.

Every player in our team started at least one game. No player started every game. Players 6-9 ( Fulwiley, Tessa, Ashlyn and Feagan ) were all top scorers in at least one game. The first half of the season Fulwiley and Ashlynn both played significant first half minutes against quality opponents. Tessa and Feagin joined them in the second half of the season. Our comeback in the championship game was spearheaded by Fulwiley and Tessa

All nine of our rotation played significant roles. Okay, that rotation is down by one but add Edwards or Dauda and it’s right back - potentially.
And yet as I pointed out earlier, during the reg season of your tight games Papao and Raven playing 33 and 34 minutes each. Then in NCAA's the biggest game you are threatened vs Indiana, Cardoso and Raven are playing 32 minutes each and Cardoso is scoring 22 points on 10-12 shooting.

Then in the Finals -- the same two players mentioned above play 30.5 minutes and 36 minutes 50 seconds. The same two . Per the link below you had Cardoso the superstar and as they say "You can win in different ways" but both Ogwumike and Carter highlight the significant players;--> That tremendous un-guardable post that's also a rebounding machine (Cardoso) and the major catalyst excellent guard (Raven).

Where was the bench to give Raven a break?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet as I pointed out earlier, during the reg season of your tight games Papao and Raven playing 33 and 34 minutes each. Then in NCAA's the biggest game you are threatened vs Indiana, Cardoso and Raven are playing 32 minutes each and Cardoso is scoring 22 points on 10-12 shooting.

Then in the Finals -- the same two players mentioned above play 30.5 minutes and 36 minutes 50 seconds. The same two . Per the link below you had Cardoso the superstar and as they say "You can win in different ways" but both Ogwumike and Carter highlight the significant players;--> That tremendous un-guardable post that's also a rebounding machine (Cardoso) and the major catalyst excellent guard (Raven).

One could argue that the closeness of the Indiana game indicates that the subs should have played more. But let's pass on that.

Let;s look at the championship gameFulwiley played 18 minutes and Tessa played 25. They outscored Raven by 28-3. Raven was "hot" on defense but was not an offensive catalyst. There are other guards who got rest. Indeed, Fulwiley and Tessa came in during the first half and were keys in us catching up after Iowa jumped out to the early lead.

"That tremendous un-guardable post that's also a rebounding machine" did not play at all in a number of games - including UConn.

IDGI "but both Ogwumike and Carter highlight the significant players;-->" . . . ????????????????? I don't have a clue what this means.

Reaction Score
One could argue that the closeness of the Indiana game indicates that the subs should have played more. But let's pass on that.

Let;s look at the championship gameFulwiley played 18 minutes and Tessa played 25. They outscored Raven by 28-3. Raven was "hot" on defense but was not an offensive catalyst. There are other guards who got rest. Indeed, Fulwiley and Tessa came in during the first half and were keys in us catching up after Iowa jumped out to the early lead.

"That tremendous un-guardable post that's also a rebounding machine" did not play at all in a number of games - including UConn.

IDGI "but both Ogwumike and Carter highlight the significant players;-->" . . . ????????????????? I don't have a clue what this means.
I responded to a poster that stated to have just a few play over 20 minutes but overall play many players so they can give 110%. I said responded by saying it would be bets to have a few stars emerge. You then replied to me saying you would take 10 non-stars that average 10 points. I took this as a counter – a somewhat disagreement to my comment. Did I misinterpret your post in which I felt you were both agreeing with the other poster to play overall about 10-12 players 17 minutes to just over 20 minutes say a few in the 20’s vs. having stars play bigger minutes in big games that are close?

Otherwise I’m not sure of your point about Fulwliey and Tess vs what I have said. My reply initially to the other poster said “a few stars emerge.” That doesn’t mean 5/6 players as stars emerge so you only play with just 5/6. SO yes play Tess and Fulwiley minutes but in big games during both reg season you saw Paopao and Raven play 34/33 on average and you saw in tight games Raven and Cardoso’s play 30+ minutes in NCAA’s. Then that doesn’t reflect what my initial reply was the subject of.

Wen you said the following –

“I'll take ten supporting non-stars who average ten points apiece (and play tough defense).”

- if you are playing a few over 30 minutes in some NCAA games (as I suggested/implied when I stated have a few stars emerge), how is it that they aren’t interpreted as “stars?” Unless you are suggesting that for example Dawn made a mistake by playing Raven near 37 and should have had Fuilwiley play more? Also that Dawn made a mistake by playing Cardoso too much and should have the combo of Feagin and Watkins play more? I just don't see how your comment in bold or the comment I replide to by the other poster of 17 minutes for 12 players (with a few over 20) comes close to matching what Dawn has done vs Iowa and other close games I've referenced.

Unless you are not referncing close, tight, big games? Its just that in tight, bg games its best to have your stars that have emerged play ,more rather than "share the wealth" in order to give 110%.

Reaction Score
South Carolina doesn't need to play anyone big minutes to blow 90% of the teams it faces out. When it is challenged it somewhat is more likely to play the starters more.

That's not a secret weakness.

Also the minutes distribution doesn't really support the argument much. Different players had big games in the tight ones and it wasn't unusual for it to be a reserve.

The National Championship sort of turned on the play of reserves Fulwiley and Tessa in the first half.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Ain't that some crap. I was looking forward to being in Columbia to witness some Chicken getting fried on a Sunday..... A Thursday evening makes it really hard for Duke fans to be in attendance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom