Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2024-25 Season: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll just come out and say it. Dauda was poorly coached at Arkansas. She's got something that Coach Dawn Staley believes can be beneficial to the squad (something that the returnees may lack altogether or not have enough of), so why not see if she's interested in reaching her potential in this system?
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. She was well coached to fit Neighbor's system but unfortunately that won't prepare her for the next level.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'll just come out and say it. Dauda was poorly coached at Arkansas. She's got something that Coach Dawn Staley believes can be beneficial to the squad (something that the returnees may lack altogether or not have enough of), so why not see if she's interested in reaching her potential in this system?
Agreed. She may not be the traditional low post banger that SC has seemed to corner the market on, but I think Dauda fits in very well with the style of play that SC currently runs. You can put Dauda on the floor with Pao, Fulwiley, Johnson and Watkins and essentially run a 4 man perimeter offense attack with Watkins using her athleticism for rebounds and Dauda at the high post seeing over smaller 4’s. I think it’s a unique look. We’ll see what happens.

I think Tac becomes that next great low post banger with Joyce to complement working the high post (similar to Coates/Wilson). But the added depth of a Dauda (plus Walker) to go along with Watkins/Feagin/Kitts gives Tac and Edwards more time to acclimate/get healthy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agreed. She may not be the traditional low post banger that SC has seemed to corner the market on, but I think Dauda fits in very well with the style of play that SC currently runs. You can put Dauda on the floor with Pao, Fulwiley, Johnson and Watkins and essentially run a 4 man perimeter offense attack with Watkins using her athleticism for rebounds and Dauda at the high post seeing over smaller 4’s. I think it’s a unique look. We’ll see what happens.

20240527_200504.jpg

Come on now

Reaction Score
Janiah Barker to UCLA
She wanted to play closer to home. :p

Dawn saying we got a birdie in the nest - or should we say, a little piggy? Would prefer it be a top ‘25 recruit but it’s still too early on the calendar for us to hope for that.

Reaction Score
View attachment 101081

Explain to me why she is needed for your roster
Top 5 reasons Dauda transferred to SC

1/ she wanted to come
2/ we have schollys to give
3/ Dawn loves her game
4/ added size & depth for roster in case of injury
5/ possibility Ashlyn Watkins leaves for WNBA after her junior year (she will be 22 & eligible) . Dauda is nice 25 post roster insurance if that happens

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, I guess the rich keep getting richer. Somebody on SC’s deep roster just lost 20+ minutes per game of PT.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Assuming starters are:
C-Ashlyn Watkins
F-Chloe Kitts
G/F-Bree Hall
G-Tehina Pao Pao
G-Raven Johnson

Their 2nd set of 5:
C-Maryam Dauda
F/C-Sania Feagin
F-Joyce Edwards
G-Milaysia Fulwiley
G-Tessa Johnson

Plus Tac/McDaniel as options off the bench.

I don't know if we've ever seen a roster so deep and stacked. I mean that second group of 5 would be a top 10 starting lineup and has 5 players who are all likely future WNBA players (including a couple of likely lottery picks).

The biggest challenge for Dawn is playing time and making sure team chemistry is strong. If this team reaches its potential, they'll be even better than their undefeated squad from this past season.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess the rich keep getting richer. Somebody on SC’s deep roster just lost 20+ minutes per game of PT.
Well considering freshman center Adhel Tac, who Dauda we’ll be ‘competing’ against for PT, came back to campus from out of state to host her visit (with Raven), it seems the team is again intent on keeping the ‘main thing the main thing’

Reaction Score
The biggest challenge for Dawn is playing time and making sure team chemistry is strong. If this team reaches its potential, they'll be even better than their undefeated squad from this past season.
Before last season, a lot of Carolina fans felt like 23-24 had a chance to be better than the SR Freshies team by year's end, but 24-25 would be the real WHOA! roster. Definitely would have been the one we'd bet on as more likely to go unbeaten.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well considering freshman center Adhel Tac, who Dauda we’ll be ‘competing’ against for PT, came back to campus from out of state to host her visit (with Raven), it seems the team is again intent on keeping the ‘main thing the main thing’
Plus, Tac and McDaniel are both coming off injuries, neither will be getting 15+ minutes per game out the gate. That’s the beauty of SC. We are usually not super reliant on players coming off of injuries that we have a need to speed up their recovery.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Before last season, a lot of Carolina fans felt like 23-24 had a chance to be better than the SR Freshies team by year's end, but 24-25 would be the real WHOA! roster. Definitely would have been the one we'd bet on as more likely to go unbeaten.
Yeah, I didn’t know what to expect of the past season’s team, I just knew we had talent. This upcoming season was the one I expected them to pull it all together. I had 24-25 penciled in to seriously compete for the natty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That’s great. Dawn has done a terrific job of keeping everyone reasonably happy. Winning certainly helps. But I see Dauda as a starter for the next 2 seasons, essentially as the replacement for Cardoso. The 20+ minutes of PT she will get, will come from some combination of Tac, Watkins, Edwards, Walker (if she returns for a 5th season), Feagin and/or Kitts.

Reaction Score
That’s great. Dawn has done a terrific job of keeping everyone reasonably happy. Winning certainly helps. But I see Dauda as a starter for the next 2 seasons, essentially as the replacement for Cardoso. The 20+ minutes of PT she will get, will come from some combination of Tac, Watkins, Edwards, Walker (if she returns for a 5th season), Feagin and/or Kitts.
I dont see her getting 20 minutes this year. Kitt's (a starter), Fulwiley, Feagin and Tessa did not get 20 minutes this year. The only reason Ashlyn got barely over 20 minutes is because she got minutes from Cardoso's absences.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I dont see her getting 20 minutes this year. Kitt's (a starter), Fulwiley, Feagin and Tessa did not get 20 minutes this year. The only reason Ashlyn got barely over 20 minutes is because she got minutes from Cardoso's absences.

I guess we’ll see.

Reaction Score
I think we just need to have two groups of 5 and call them the garnet and black teams. Let's get rid of this first team and backup nonsense. :)

The black team plays Q1 and Q3. The garnet team plays Q2 and Q4

Garnet Team:
5: Dauda
4: Edwards
3: T. Johnson
2: Fulwiley
1: R. Johnson

Black Team:
5: Watkin
4: Kitts
3: Feagin
2: Hall
1: Paopao

Bench:
Tac
McDaniel

Reaction Score
I think we just need to have two groups of 5 and call them the garnet and black teams. Let's get rid of this first team and backup nonsense. :)

The black team plays Q1 and Q3. The garnet team plays Q2 and Q4

Garnet Team:
5: Dauda
4: Edwards
3: T. Johnson
2: Fulwiley
1: R. Johnson

Black Team:
5: Watkin
4: Kitts
3: Feagin
2: Hall