Gamecocks 2022 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For 20 pages this was a really quiet and peaceful thread where Gamecock fans and the occasional Dookie held court with glee...

... and then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

SMH.

You're not in Kansas anymore.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN has the higher ceiling this year while I think SC has the better balance. Both teams have crazy ceilings and balance - both teams are completely stacked. No question barring injuries both team are FF bound. My preseason number 1 would be SC and UCONN 2. Though in the 1st month if UCONN can get 2 or 3 questions answered I'd flip them. They are both incredible. It might even be too hard for one team to sweep the other if they were to play twice; so the one that wins in reg. season might be in more trouble if they were to meet again in the same season.
Stanford will be and should be Preseason #1

Reaction Score
This SC team is exceptionally talented, but the problem is they have they are up against a UCONN team who beat them last year and now have improved significantly with another generational player in Azzi Fudd and then among others to compliment Bueckers. SC is the John Stockton/ Utah Jazz while Uconn is the Magic Johnson and the Lakers. This is the era of the guard, the perimeter shooter and with the three point line moved back to 22 feet the only players who can consistently shoot there are Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd. Respect Dawn and her Gamecocks but sorry, the era of Paige and Azzi is about to begin.

View attachment 68685
Thanks for stirring the pot. This thread was getting some dust on it.

Reaction Score
Stanford will be and should be Preseason #1

I don't know about "will be" but they definitely "should not be." Not unless Williams is coming back. I am in an agreement with Charlie's philosophy (and nearly all of any other sport) that you just can't ignore other teams improvements along with the prior number number 1 team's losses. This is done in all of sports and as a result there is no reason why it shouldn't be done in wcbb.

Let-s talk SC vs Stanford. SC picked up the ACC FOY who was co-DPOY in the conference who was also 1st team ALL-ACC. Along with an insane recruiting class - and what did they lose? Basically - Nothing. While Stanford lost their number 1 scorer and number 1 player in assists in which she had 2nd highest assist-to-turnover ratio for any player with 10 minutes or more. Along with she had 2nd highest 3pt% for any player with 10 minutes or more.

SC lost by one point - so why should we disregard plusses and minuses for each team when in fact a top 20 for any other spot isn't etched in stone from the prior year either? And what other big sport doesn't take into account additions and subtractions when projecting results for the next year? That was the intent of my post. So-- why Stanford number 1 vs SC?

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
So Funny.
1 title.
Cute.
SC will never get beyond sniffing UCONN's jock.
You might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...but let me help you out. There was a time when UCONN had 1 title. That is the way this works. You can look at every team that has multiple titles and they ALL started with 1.....now...do you get it ? I am guessing not because of the less than classless way of making your point...which is not even a point.

Reaction Score
She shot 38.8% from 3 in articles reporting her commitment so I assume that was during her junior year. Don’t know the frequency she took shots from the arc in high school. So the potential may be there as a shooter in college. We’ll see how that part of her game manifests at the next level.

I think she was in the 20s as a sophomore and right around 30% as a senior.

I hope the junior year is what she does at next level. Promising.

Reaction Score
In both the UConn game and the Stanford game the missed shots were putbacks. Now both of those were hard fought games and either team could have won either. But lamenting that a second chance shot didn't go in forgets that if SC made either first shot they would have won. When you get 2 or more chances and none go in you have no reason to look at just the tip in.

I'm looking forward to watching the game this year. And maybe a second one in April?

I was focused on the fact it was a 1 pt OT game on UConn's home court rather than disputing the result.

Bueckers deserved to win that meeting.

Reaction Score
Baylor & S Car. Easily the two most physical teams in the country and both are complaining about too-physical? And non-calls. Of course only non-calls in the last 2 seconds. Those earlier non-calls are OK.

Both those teams should be ashamed. :rolleyes: :)

Those earlier non-calls were not impactful to the game's outcome. That kind of argument is similar to the argument that whoever scores first at the start of a game, decides the outcome of that game.

It's a little bit different when the foul occurs at the end of the game as the game clock goes to "0:00", and the final shot that's fouled decides whether a game is won or lost. All those earlier non-calls have been balanced out by that time. Both teams have had ample time to respond to those earlier non-calls. But you foul a player who's taking the final shot of a game where the regulation time ends, and there's zero chance to respond then. The game is decided.

A basketball game can be as physical as it wants to be. There are rules that exist almost as long as the sport has existed, to take care of that. But those rules also have stated since their inception that you do not make contact with a shooter who is in the act of shooting the ball at the basket. Especially contact with their upper body, shoulders, and arms, since those are directly involved in shooting accuracy.

For a player to make that kind of contact against an opposing shooter who's making a game-impacting shot, and NOT have the foul called is a corruption of the intent and spirit of the game. I don't place blame on the CT players as they don't really have any other choice at those points - if the Baylor and South Carolina players make those high-percentage shots, CT loses those games. It is up to the officials to enforce the rules and maintain game integrity, and they were the ones who failed. But for YOU to criticize players for not making shots, or that initial missed shots are "forgets" while conveniently "forgetting" about the CT non-called fouling is too disingenuous......

Reaction Score
we've got the actual national title too. you remember how those felt?

: )

South Carolina looks loaded, as does UConn, and who knows who will rise to the top. I don’t subscribe to the mocking post about SC. But just one thought. Not a good look to mock a program with 11 titles about championships when you have 1.

Good luck this season.

Reaction Score
Those earlier non-calls were not impactful to the game's outcome. That kind of argument is similar to the argument that whoever scores first at the start of a game, decides the outcome of that game.

It's a little bit different when the foul occurs at the end of the game as the game clock goes to "0:00", and the final shot that's fouled decides whether a game is won or lost. All those earlier non-calls have been balanced out by that time. Both teams have had ample time to respond to those earlier non-calls. But you foul a player who's taking the final shot of a game where the regulation time ends, and there's zero chance to respond then. The game is decided.

A basketball game can be as physical as it wants to be. There are rules that exist almost as long as the sport has existed, to take care of that. But those rules also have stated since their inception that you do not make contact with a shooter who is in the act of shooting the ball at the basket. Especially contact with their upper body, shoulders, and arms, since those are directly involved in shooting accuracy.

For a player to make that kind of contact against an opposing shooter who's making a game-impacting shot, and NOT have the foul called is a corruption of the intent and spirit of the game. I don't place blame on the CT players as they don't really have any other choice at those points - if the Baylor and South Carolina players make those high-percentage shots, CT loses those games. It is up to the officials to enforce the rules and maintain game integrity, and they were the ones who failed. But for YOU to criticize players for not making shots, or that initial missed shots are "forgets" while conveniently "forgetting" about the CT non-called fouling is too disingenuous......

Your comment was that the game should be called the same at the end as during proves my point. I've gone through the game film and saw many non-calls during the game, so in effect the refs did call it consistently. If you think all the fouls were called then we are done talking. I hate officials in any sport who allow things all game and then call a foul/penalty with 30 seconds left after ignoring it all game. It stinks.
Your team had 3 attempts to score and win. You missed all 3.

I guess I got jaded over late whistles after the "Clockwork Orange" game (Rutgers at Tenn) when the timekeeper stopped the clock enough to give Tenn a third shot where a foul was called and Tenn won. The foul was real but it came more than a second after the game should have been over. I don't mind fouls away from the paint late but players who bulldoze over and through opponents to get an offensive rebound shouldn't complain because their arm was brushed.

I understand your POV though.

Reaction Score
South Carolina looks loaded, as does UConn, and who knows who will rise to the top. I don’t subscribe to the mocking post about SC. But just one thought. Not a good look to mock a program with 11 titles about championships when you have 1.

Good luck this season.

also not good to tell fans of the team with the more recent national title that they'll never know what a national title feels like.

I got no rage in this fight though. I think it's exciting myself to have this conversation about next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4906A9D9-5E0C-4DC3-8AFD-11CC5A56190F.jpeg

Jackie Young 30th out of 32 w/ 6 pts.

Reaction Score

Link should also take you to a replay the game.

USA vs Nigeria tomorrow night @ 12:40 am on the USA Network.

Reaction Score
NBCSN for the game against Italy, looks like USA Network for the China game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul