Gamecocks 2022 | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This SC team is exceptionally talented, but the problem is they have they are up against a UCONN team who beat them last year and now have improved significantly with another generational player in Azzi Fudd and then among others to compliment Bueckers. SC is the John Stockton/ Utah Jazz while Uconn is the Magic Johnson and the Lakers. This is the era of the guard, the perimeter shooter and with the three point line moved back to 22 feet the only players who can consistently shoot there are Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd. Respect Dawn and her Gamecocks but sorry, the era of Paige and Azzi is about to begin.

1626919458022.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t wait to see mouths hit the floor when spectators actually see how good this SC class is! I was shopping downtown at Publix and I ran across Coach Law in an aisle and I had to ask her thoughts on this years team. She stopped and looked and said “the sky’s the limit and maybe even beyond that”… I think people are severely sleeping on Sania Feagin and Saniya Rivers. Feagin will wake a lot of people up when she plays for the U19 squad and Rivers personally has said she wants to win NFOY and I definitely think she can. She’s seen the hype around all these other players but no one is talking about her coming into college. She’s going to be the next her and I can’t wait to see it!

Reaction Score
This SC team is exceptionally talented, but the problem is they have they are up against a UCONN team who beat them last year and now have improved significantly with another generational player in Azzi Fudd and then among others to compliment Bueckers. SC is the John Stockton/ Utah Jazz while Uconn is the Magic Johnson and the Lakers. This is the era of the guard, the perimeter shooter and with the three point line moved back to 22 feet the only players who can consistently shoot there are Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd. Respect Dawn and her Gamecocks but sorry, the era of Paige and Azzi is about to begin.

View attachment 68685
I would be cautious with this kind of projection. UConn will be better than last year and likely the best shooting team in the nation, but USC was a buzzer bucket away from a likely national title and added five players good enough to comprise a top-15 team on their own.

These two look like the clear-cut best teams in the country, with NC State and Stanford knocking right at the door, but I’m not so sure UConn can match USC’s physicality and athleticism—just as I’m not sure USC can match UConn’s shooting or movement schemes.

Reaction Score
I would be cautious with this kind of projection. UConn will be better than last year and likely the best shooting team in the nation, but USC was a buzzer bucket away from a likely national title and added five players good enough to comprise a top-15 team on their own.

These two look like the clear-cut best teams in the country, with NC State and Stanford knocking right at the door, but I’m not so sure UConn can match USC’s physicality and athleticism—just as I’m not sure USC can match UConn’s shooting or movement schemes.
I will say I’m excited for the chess match next season between Dawn and Geno it’s going to be a classic!

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

View attachment 68685
I think you doth protest too much. These teams are too close in talent to even make that statement. UCONN was at home last year...this is a road game for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I think people are severely sleeping on Sania Feagin and Saniya Rivers. Feagin will wake a lot of people up when she plays for the U19 squad and Rivers personally has said she wants to win NFOY and I definitely think she can.
It's funny, at the beginning of this recruiting cycle I was all about Raven and her ball skills. Then in the middle I was all about Rivers and her athleticism and defensive skills. Then Feagin started to get some notice with her offensive skills from the 4. Then Hall started to get some notice when I realized how tall she was and how good she was at shooting the 3. Every time I research these players, they always impress. I can't wait to see them on gameday!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

View attachment 68685
A made layup and you’d be singing a different tune, Sinatra.

Reaction Score
It's funny, at the beginning of this recruiting cycle I was all about Raven and her ball skills. Then in the middle I was all about Rivers and her athleticism and defensive skills. Then Feagin started to get some notice with her offensive skills from the 4. Then Hall started to get some notice when I realized how tall she was and how good she was at shooting the 3. Every time I research these players, they always impress. I can't wait to see them on gameday!

Same lol I held my thoughts about each of them until I could see them play in person and I was wowed by each of them. They all an intangible about them that will greatly help the team this year!

Reaction Score
A made layup and you’d be singing a different tune, Sinatra.
Yeah, Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda BUT DIDN'T! SC Lost.

Hey, but al least you have that Phantom National Championship in 2020 when there wasn't an actual NCAA Tournament.

You'all always have that. I hope that Banner is hangin' front and center.

Reaction Score

View attachment 68685
The time for honoring yourself will come to an end soon.

Reaction Score

View attachment 68685

UConn won by a point, in overtime, in Stoors, when Carolina missed a put back that would have won the game.

I have the slightest edge towards UConn, based on offensive balance, but I'm not sure that's right.

the last two times out UConn has barely broken 50 in regulation so I'm not sure South Carolina adding scoring isn't a more impactful improvement.

* the Magic Johnson Lakers vs Utah Jazz reference is an odd one, but I guess technically valid and pertinent if you didn't watch the NBA in the 90s. Though Showtime vs Jazz is just awkward. That wasn't really a thing?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda BUT DIDN'T! SC Lost.

Hey, but al least you have that Phantom National Championship in 2020 when there wasn't an actual NCAA Tournament.

You'all always have that. I hope that Banner is hangin' front and center.

we've got the actual national title too. you remember how those felt?

: )

Reaction Score

not sure Hall is a particularly good three point shooter, but the class is great and it is tough to pick a favorite from the other three.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

View attachment 68685
The term generational means someone who comes along once a generation.

Reaction Score
Oh lord, not the generational thing again.

For me, Fudd played two years above her age for a loaded US national team and was arguably the featured player so I'm not gonna cast any doubts.

Reaction Score
I really think this SC team might surprise some people (even though they shouldn’t, the talent is obvious)..I’ve been so impressed with the class they just brought in. Azzi is definitely an elite talent but no one should be overlooking the newest gamecocks. Should definitely be some great matches the next few years.

Reaction Score
UConn won by a point, in overtime, in Stoors, when Carolina missed a put back that would have won the game.

I have the slightest edge towards UConn, based on offensive balance, but I'm not sure that's right.

the last two times out UConn has barely broken 50 in regulation so I'm not sure South Carolina adding scoring isn't a more impactful improvement.

* the Magic Johnson Lakers vs Utah Jazz reference is an odd one, but I guess technically valid and pertinent if you didn't watch the NBA in the 90s. Though Showtime vs Jazz is just awkward. That wasn't really a thing?

In both the UConn game and the Stanford game the missed shots were putbacks. Now both of those were hard fought games and either team could have won either. But lamenting that a second chance shot didn't go in forgets that if SC made either first shot they would have won. When you get 2 or more chances and none go in you have no reason to look at just the tip in.

I'm looking forward to watching the game this year. And maybe a second one in April?

Reaction Score
In both the UConn game and the Stanford game the missed shots were putbacks. Now both of those were hard fought games and either team could have won either. But lamenting that a second chance shot didn't go in forgets that if SC made either first shot they would have won. When you get 2 or more chances and none go in you have no reason to look at just the tip in.

I'm looking forward to watching the game this year. And maybe a second one in April?

Maybe when the game is played in Columbia, and the same thing unfolds, the officials won't let the opposing team foul whoever is laying up that 2nd shot, and say "aww, let 'em play it out". It's always great to simply say, "you need to make those shots" when the opponents get to lay their arms on the arms of your player that's taking the shot, as she takes it. Right, Baylor??

Reaction Score
not sure Hall is a particularly good three point shooter, but the class is great and it is tough to pick a favorite from the other three.
What makes you say that? I was told she was a 40% 3-point shooter in high school. That's pretty dang good. I haven't seen actual clips, so I'm just going off what I've heard.

Reaction Score
Maybe when the game is played in Columbia, and the same thing unfolds, the officials won't let the opposing team foul whoever is laying up that 2nd shot, and say "aww, let 'em play it out". It's always great to simply say, "you need to make those shots" when the opponents get to lay their arms on the arms of your player that's taking the shot, as she takes it. Right, Baylor??

Baylor & S Car. Easily the two most physical teams in the country and both are complaining about too-physical? And non-calls. Of course only non-calls in the last 2 seconds. Those earlier non-calls are OK.

Both those teams should be ashamed. :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What makes you say that? I was told she was a 40% 3-point shooter in high school. That's pretty dang good. I haven't seen actual clips, so I'm just going off what I've heard.
I believe you were misinformed.

Reaction Score
She shot 38.8% from 3 in articles reporting her commitment so I assume that was during her junior year. Don’t know the frequency she took shots from the arc in high school. So the potential may be there as a shooter in college. We’ll see how that part of her game manifests at the next level.

Reaction Score

I think UCONN has the higher ceiling this year while I think SC has the better balance. Both teams have crazy ceilings and balance - both teams are completely stacked. No question barring injuries both team are FF bound. My preseason number 1 would be SC and UCONN 2. Though in the 1st month if UCONN can get 2 or 3 questions answered I'd flip them. They are both incredible. It might even be too hard for one team to sweep the other if they were to play twice; so the one that wins in reg. season might be in more trouble if they were to meet again in the same season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom