Gamecocks 2022 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strange but true-This GC WBB squad has two Olympians (Cardoso & Amihere) that may not start on this 2021 team
It's kind of crazy to think the Gamecocks will have four representatives in this Olympics: Cardoso, Amihere, Wilson, and Gray. I know it doesn't compare to UConn, but they've been elite for like 25-30 years, whereas we have only been elite for 5+. Pretty impressive numbers in comparison!

Reaction Score
It's kind of crazy to think the Gamecocks will have four representatives in this Olympics: Cardoso, Amihere, Wilson, and Gray. I know it doesn't compare to UConn, but they've been elite for like 25-30 years, whereas we have only been elite for 5+. Pretty impressive numbers in comparison!
Actually we’ll have 5 (not counting the U.S. HC), as Sarah Imovbioh should be on Nigeria, unless the possible presence of one or both of the Ogwumikes gets her left off. I believe Chiney was deemed eligible. We’ll see if she will still want to participate w/o her sister, or if she’s even healthy enough, given she’s only played 3 games in the W this season.

Reaction Score
Strange but true-This GC WBB squad has two Olympians (Cardoso & Amihere) that may not start on this 2021 team
Brazil did not make it into the Olympics this year.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

That could be a top 25 team by itself....maybe even higher, and none of those were players from last year on a Final 4 team....geez....they should be scary good.

Reaction Score
GamecockFam, congrats to you and your team’s Olympic representatives. I am, and will always be a UCONN fan, but I’m also willing to extend congrats to other teams’ success.

Reaction Score
34c43c5ea87b54134d95c40ea5277da0.jpg

Excellent pick up IMO
Its not Cooper and its not Baker. How many slots are open?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Its not Cooper and its not Baker. How many slots are open?
For next year? Depends how many people return for that extra year. Right now we know that Grissett will for sure be gone.

Definite:
Grissett

Maybe:
Henderson
Saxton
Littleton
Wesolek

Everybody in the maybe column could theoretically come back for the extra COVID year granted by the NCAA. Grissett is currently using hers. I’m not expecting any of them to come back but you never know. Henny will likely be a first rounder in the draft = gone. Saxton, a potential 2nd rounder but even if she doesn’t make a WNBA roster I could see international pro ball in her future. Littleton would be coming back for her SIXTH year in 22-23, what exactly is she proving at this point.. especially with our youth at guard. Wesolek would be coming back for her 5th year and I still don’t see her making a significant contribution to the roster either with Amihere and Feagin still being there. Hence, all are likely gone.

TL;DR - There could be anywhere from 1-4 open slots for ‘22-‘23. The reason it’s not 5 is because we’re currently 1 over the scholarship limit (Grissett), but that’s only allowed this year due to the COVID exemption.

Reaction Score
For next year? Depends how many people return for that extra year. Right now we know that Grissett will for sure be gone.

Definite:
Grissett

Maybe:
Henderson
Saxton
Littleton
Wesolek

Everybody in the maybe column could theoretically come back for the extra COVID year granted by the NCAA. Grissett is currently using hers. I’m not expecting any of them to come back but you never know. Henny will likely be a first rounder in the draft = gone. Saxton, a potential 2nd rounder but even if she doesn’t make a WNBA roster I could see international pro ball in her future. Littleton would be coming back for her SIXTH year in 22-23, what exactly is she proving at this point.. especially with our youth at guard. Wesolek would be coming back for her 5th year and I still don’t see her making a significant contribution to the roster either with Amihere and Feagin still being there. Hence, all are likely gone.

TL;DR - There could be anywhere from 1-4 open slots for ‘22-‘23. The reason it’s not 5 is because we’re currently 1 over the scholarship limit (Grissett), but that’s only allowed this year due to the COVID exemption.
Players who took the Covid 5th year, like Lele, don't count against scholly cap at least for this year.

Every player on the roster for 20120/2021 gets an extra year. Are you sure the exemption from the 15 cap won't be carried forward to accomodate any player who chooses to take a fifth year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Definite:
Grissett

Maybe:
Henderson
Saxton
Littleton
Wesolek

If this season goes as expected I think 1-2 will stick around for their Covid year. I agree that Henderson and Saxton are more than likely gone. The only hypothetical reason I could think that they would want to stay would be to win a championship (if we get close to winning it all again...).

Depending on their degrees/masters efforts I could see Wesolek and Littleton staying to finish their degrees while on scholarship. I personally feel that Littleton will end up transferring to another program to get play time during her Covid year of exemption and trying to get drafted.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Players who took the Covid 5th year, like Lele, don't count against scholly cap at least for this year.
I mentioned that in my TL;DR.

Every player on the roster for 20120/2021 gets an extra year. Are you sure the exemption from the 15 cap won't be carried forward to accomodate any player who chooses to take a fifth year?
I am aware of that. The reason I only mentioned the seniors is because they asked specifically about available slots for next year. Without mentioning transfers, only the seniors play into that number of available slots.

As of now, that’s the plan. I can see it being extended though. Allowing players to stay an extra year puts programs in a precarious scholarship position. Too much uncertainty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mentioned that in my TL;DR.

I am aware of that. The reason I only mentioned the seniors is because they asked specifically about available slots for next year. Without mentioning transfers, only the seniors play into that number of available slots.

As of now, that’s the plan. I can see it being extended though. Allowing players to stay an extra year puts programs in a precarious scholarship position. Too much uncertainty.
Yeah, I just read a football-focused article that seems to support what you are saying, and the SEC doesn't like it. Good article and I like the baseball discussion.

The SEC, NCAA and a Fight to Change College Sports

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yeah, I just read a football-focused article that seems to support what you are saying, and the SEC doesn't like it. Good article and I like the baseball discussion.

The SEC, NCAA and a Fight to Change College Sports
Yeah, I understand why the NCAA did it but it really puts schools in a tough spot without putting in scholarship limit clauses for the entire time “covid era” athletes are enrolled.

Reaction Score
Boston is benefiting from her first off-season conditioning program at SC. Her freshman year she was playing USA ball all summer and then last summer was a wash. She looks great.
I've been thinking a lot about this. Our upcoming juniors haven't had a consistent off-season. Freshman year is just grabbing the dragon by its tail and not letting go. Then in the off-season all those freshman flaws get some much needed attention. I wonder how much was lost due to Covid and how much will be gained this off-season now that we're back to "normal".

This is all to say that I think we notice changes much earlier in the season because the players had resources this off-season that were not available to them last off-season.

Reaction Score
Boston is benefiting from her first off-season conditioning program at SC. Her freshman year she was playing USA ball all summer and then last summer was a wash. She looks great.
Can't wait to see how much it pays off. You're right about that. I could see she needed this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom