Game Week - UConn v. Purdue (Saturday 9/11/21 @ 3p on CBSSN) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Purdue (Saturday 9/11/21 @ 3p on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
If we can keep this game close and take a respectable loss or maybe just maybe pull off a upset that will rejuvenate the fan base and team. They cannot afford a 45-0 loss. This is the ideal trap game for Purdue. A 0-2 team coming off a cancelled season and coaching change Purdue might sleep on them and if we punch them in the mouth first play of the game maybe we can steal one
All the fans just want to see a team that's fighting hard out there vs just giving up in the second half like the Holy Cross game.

Fans want to see improvements from the first 2 games. It would be awesome if we can keep it close against Purdue.

Reaction Score
All the fans just want to see a team that's fighting hard out there vs just giving up in the second half like the Holy Cross game.

Fans want to see improvements from the first 2 games. It would be awesome if we can keep it close against Purdue.
I think the gave up on a coach. Not each other. I couldn’t imagine playing for a guy who puts a guy in a position that shouldn’t be there. Then when that player constantly makes mistakes he points the fingers at other players for that players short coming.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here (and these are the usual truncated last few sentences of the Outlook version):

-> The new man in charge is up for the challenge, so it seems. On Tuesday morning, he tweeted, ‘Day 1. Let’s Work and Have Fun.”

It may take quite a bit of work to salvage a season that is quickly racing off the rails. “We’re excited,” Spanos said. “We’re looking forward to the challenge ahead.” <-

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here (and these are the usual truncated last few sentences of the Outlook version):

-> The new man in charge is up for the challenge, so it seems. On Tuesday morning, he tweeted, ‘Day 1. Let’s Work and Have Fun.”

It may take quite a bit of work to salvage a season that is quickly racing off the rails. “We’re excited,” Spanos said. “We’re looking forward to the challenge ahead.” <-

Some folks were saying Edsall had to remain for the rest of the season because we had no one to replace Edsall, but Spanos seems very qualified at least on the defensive side. Worked for Dick LeBeau. I knew people read that video wrong so hopefully the players rally around him.

"A video went viral of athletes looking uninterested and unresponsive when Spanos raised his fist to break a defensive huddle.

" “That was awesome,” Spanos said. “We were talking, there’s a wide circle because of what’s going on with everything in the world and the view from afar. If you see there’s layers, layers, layers, because I don’t want tight. ‘Break it down, let’s go to work.’ The guys love it, we always break down. You see sometimes this and sometimes that, they all got the message, and you saw that we’re all in this together. You’ve got to laugh, it’s fun. It’s football, it’s entertainment.” "

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a feeling the first half of this game this week will be as hard as the team plays all season. We’ll see if that’s enough to keep the game in reach in the second half.

Team played hard for first quarter against Fresno.

Played hard for a half aginst HC.

Common theme is as soon as either team got momentum UConn folded like a cheap suit. Nothing from the players or the staff to slow down the opponents momentum train.

That's the biggest thing I am looking for from the players and staff on Saturday. Once momentum shifts, AKA they get punched in the mouth, do they fight or fold?

Reaction Score
Team played hard for first quarter against Fresno.

Played hard for a half aginst HC.

Common theme is as soon as either team got momentum UConn folded like a cheap suit. Nothing from the players or the staff to slow down the opponents momentum train.

That's the biggest thing I am looking for from the players and staff on Saturday. Once momentum shifts, AKA they get punched in the mouth, do they fight or fold?
Honest question - what makes you think they won’t fold when they are punched in the mouth? You don’t fold because you don’t like your coach - because if that is a reason we have even bigger issues than are already big issues. I said it in another thread - you play for your brothers on the field, you play for your school and you play for your family. I don’t care who the coach is.

that’s what has been the most dissapointing with this roster. We all (well most of us even if some didn’t want to admit) know this roster is not the most talented - we lost to an FCS school for many reasons including abysmal coaching. But many on the roster had similar offers to the players they were squaring up against.

regardless - I just want to see fight. If you get beat because someone is better than you, hey that’s life sometimes, but show some fight. Get back up again and go at it, show some emotion. My hope is that there are some emerging leaders on this roster who saw the things we saw and will call their teammates to task privately.

The culture needs to be changed.

Reaction Score
And one more thing to add - I actually think the defense has potential (insane, I know). They are not deep and constantly being on the field with a short field with little rest? Not a recipe for success.

I remain at a loss for the play of defensive backs, however.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honest question - what makes you think they won’t fold when they are punched in the mouth?

The culture needs to be changed.

Question and answered in your own post. You are correct the culture needs to change. The difference between folding and winning the play is one breath of effort. The time it takes for one breath is the difference between winning and losing your battle.

Now, do I believe it flips 180 degrees in one game? No. But I want to see improvements in it. Some of it may come from changes on the two deep. Nice to believe that every teenager and young adult is fully maturized into internalizing their motivations for success. Reality is sometimes you need to see your brother on the field take that extra bit of effort to motivate you to do the same. Seeing is believing- a batter in a slump finally sees a well struck ball go in the gap for a double instead of a diving outfielder making a catch, a golfer finally sees a good putt go in the hole instead of lipping out, a basketball shooter sees a jump shot go in...........................

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Seeing Spanos tweet multiple times about the team having fun leads me to believe one thing and one thing only: that they were miserable prior to the change.

Especially since some of the players, such as Morgan, are retweeting it. If nothing else, maybe we can at least boost morale within 6 days and let's see what effect that it might have on game time...

Reaction Score
Seeing Spanos tweet multiple times about the team having fun leads me to believe one thing and one thing only: that they were miserable prior to the change.

Especially since some of the players, such as Morgan, are retweeting it. If nothing else, maybe we can at least boost morale within 6 days and let's see what effect that it might have on game time...
Turnovers were just mo killers. The pick 6 was deflating.

Reaction Score
I hope the plan on D is to put as much pressure on the Purdue QB as possible. Blitz at least 70% of the time with various combinations of LBs, corners and safeties. Six or seven guys attacking like mad dogs from all directions. Hit him, rattle him, get in his head. Minimize the time our DBs have to cover. Balls out and let the chips fall where they may. What's to lose?

Reaction Score

And if they were miserable, having to practice for almost 2 years without a game could have been a contributing factor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom