Game Week - Cincinnati at UConn (Saturday 9/29 @ 3:30p on CBSSN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - Cincinnati at UConn (Saturday 9/29 @ 3:30p on CBSSN)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m having a hard time keeping up—sort of figuring we’re gonna be at 1-6 before it’s worth paying attention. I’m writing off Memphis and USF for sure, and am about 90% sure this one’s a loss. After that, we should have a chance in just about every game. Im conserving energy so I’m not too pissed at the team to show up to the winnable games down the stretch lol

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I’m having a hard time keeping up—sort of figuring we’re gonna be at 1-6 before it’s worth paying attention. I’m writing off Memphis and USF for sure, and am about 90% sure this one’s a loss. After that, we should have a chance in just about every game. Im conserving energy so I’m not too pissed at the team to show up to the winnable games down the stretch lol

Low expectations is the key to happiness - at least that's what I've heard...

Reaction Score
Cincy has upgraded their level of speed on offense. This won't be the same type of offensive effort we've seen from them recently. It will take 30 points plus to beat them.

Cincy averaging 36 pts/game and 250+ rushing/game. Against our D you have to figure they will exceed both numbers. We would need to score 50+ to win and absent at least 4 TOs I don't see where we would have enough possessions to do that even if we scored every series which isn't happening.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Darrien Beavers is a defensive tackle on our updated depth chart lmao...what is happening

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Tyler Coyle listed as a safety? Hasn't he been playing corner all along or did I miss something?

Reaction Score
Weekly Press Conference:

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 1m 1 minute ago
Tuesdays with Randy, Cincinnati edition, to start momentarily. Bearcats are 4-0. Huskies have yet to play a team that owns a loss at the time of the game.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2m 2 minutes ago
LB Eli Thomas and WR Keyion Dixon did not practice for #UConn today

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 1m 1 minute ago
Randy Edsall: “We have a tough task ahead of us this week. It seems like every week has been that."

Light tweeting day by the Beat guys there today...

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 11s 11 seconds ago
Edsall has seen small improvements but not showing on the scoreboard. Players continue to work hard and staying positive. "I don't see our kids getting frustrated."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 35s 36 seconds ago
Eli Thomas (neck) is out of this week;s #UConn game and so it Keyion Dixon and Kyhon Gillespie had surgery on torn ACL today

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 43s 44 seconds ago
LB Eli Thomas (neck) is out this week. LB Marshe Terry (ankle), Tahj Herring-Wilson (ankle), WR Keyion Dixon all out this week, too. Kyhon Gillespie (ACL) out for season.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 15s 16 seconds ago
The Huskies have five players from Canada on the roster. Edsall has connections in Canada that he reaches out to about recruits. "We have people up there that we can lean on and trust that can let you know about the kids."

LOL... someone (not sure who, couldn't recognize voice but have my suspicions) asked Randy a question and Randy looked confused and said "what does that have to do w/ us - I'm done" and walked off...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Oh gee look at that, Cinci has a guy who has been there forever. Where have we seen that before?

Likely a L. But I think the guys can cover this one. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Big shakeup in the defensive line. Edsall is tired of the huge holes we have seen the past 3 weeks.

Reaction Score
Cincy averaging 36 pts/game and 250+ rushing/game. Against our D you have to figure they will exceed both numbers. We would need to score 50+ to win and absent at least 4 TOs I don't see where we would have enough possessions to do that even if we scored every series which isn't happening.

Take out the 63-7 win against 332 rated Alabama A & M and average score Cin. wins is 28-17 and Massey has game pick at 34-28 Cin.
Finish offensive drives and this is a game. This is one game where turnovers won't mean difference between opponent shutting it down offensively in 3rd quarter or not but actually who wins.
Murphy and Fines have no speed, strength or tackling ability, move to more agility on DL is long overdue and should be an upgrade "IF" it also consists of attack the backfield type of scheme.

Reaction Score
Putterman: Injuries Continue To Pile Up For Struggling UConn Football Team

>>Coach Randy Edsall said Tuesday that linebacker Eli Thomas, cornerback Tahj Herring-Wilson, linebacker Marshe Terry, receiver Keyion Dixon and running back Khyon Gillespie will all sit out Saturday’s game against Cincinnati with injuries. Herring-Wilson and Terry both hurt their ankles earlier this month against Rhode Island, then missed last week’s loss to Syracuse. Thomas exited the game against the Orange with what Edsall said is a neck injury. Dixon also left Saturday with an undisclosed issue. Gillespie underwent ACL surgery Tuesday and will miss the rest of the season.

This slew of injuries will force UConn to play even more young players than they have already this season. Herring-Wilson and Terry have been replaced on the depth chart by a pair of freshmen (Shamel Lazarus and Ian Swenson), while Thomas’ role as second-team linebacker will go to freshman Hunter Webb. With Gillespie sidelined, fellow freshman Dante Black could see his first game action.<<

>>The coach has repeatedly mentioned an eight-man rotation, which seems to include Jonathan Pace, Darrian Beavers, A.J. Garson and Pierce DeVaughn at defensive end, with Caleb Thomas, Lwal Uguak, Travis Jones and James Atkins at defensive tackle.

The new rotation, which debuted Saturday against Syracuse and was reflected on the depth chart released Tuesday, demonstrates Edsall’s widely apparent preference for talented young players over more experienced holdovers. Five of the Huskies’ top eight defensive linemen are freshmen, two are sophomores and only one (Atkins) is an upperclassman. Junior defensive tackles Kevin Murphy and Ryan Fines, both of whom entered the year as potential contributors on the unit, barely appeared in Saturday’s game and seem to be out of the mix for playing time. Edsall said he and the Huskies’ coaching staff are looking for “speed, athletic ability and quickness” up front and feel this group of eight linemen can provide that. It also doesn’t hurt, Edsall said, to give reps to young players who will be part of the program’s future.<<

Reaction Score
So we’re gonna put a 235 pound guy at defensive tackle? Maybe I’m just skeptical, but I’m pretty sure that is not gonna work well
I would tend to agree with you but obviously Murphy and Fines have not impressed Edsall enough this year. Caleb Thomas is the only tackle to get consistent minutes this year from what I can remember from the first 4 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom