Game Thread - UConn vs Coll of Charleston | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Game Thread - UConn vs Coll of Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno happy with K's play on defense and involvement in the game.

thank goodness someone is. From the way folks talk around here, I am surprised that she was an AA

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I never understand what is the point to have game like this. If anything a player may pick up bad habit
in these games that will carry over to game against tough opponents. It can't be good for wbb to see
such a non competitive game.

Some folks do have a hard time understanding things. :p

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yeah hopefully everyone missed my 102 other posts in this pbp thread. :rolleyes:

play by play? well, I read the thread.

Assists? Steals? 2-3 zone? spacing? passing sequences?

No. I didn't see much of that.

I saw a lot of what folks thought was wrong, and I saw comments when some folks scored which is good.

And I only commented on the kicker: "That was stupid" because that was all there was to that post. What was stupid? Something on the floor by our players? Something on the floor by CoC players? A bad pass? A bad call? mismatched socks? Shots of folks in the stands?

for those who cannot see the game, comments such as those are usually lacking.

thanks to those who posted about the game. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Culmo's Court Vision. How can this happen with the 2 seniors? Meg just hit the nail on the head.
Couple plays like that where Kiah had a chance to be aggressive and go get the ball and someone else got it. Would be nice to see her show some fire. You'd think she would be strong enough to get more open space down on the block. She doesn't get the ball down low that much from her teammates. And then a few times she had an open shot and she passed it up to the top of the key. I don't like this top 5 in the draft talk. I have faith she can be a great player, just have not seen it yet. I am definitely rooting for her.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I never understand what is the point to have game like this. If anything a player may pick up bad habit
in these games that will carry over to game against tough opponents. It can't be good for wbb to see
Part of it is team building and being in nice weather and getting treated like rock stars. The game itself is more about practice.

Reaction Score
Couple plays like that where Kiah had a chance to be aggressive and go get the ball and someone else got it. Would be nice to see her show some fire. You'd think she would be strong enough to get more open space down on the block. She doesn't get the ball down low that much from her teammates. And then a few times she had an open shot and she passed it up to the top of the key. I don't like this top 5 in the draft talk. I have faith she can be a great player, just have not seen it yet. I am definitely rooting for her.
Stokes is what she is. She has had 3 years to getbetter and assert herself and she has not done it yet. Honestly if I were her I would be worried about pt in general and not just starting because Gabby Williams is coming on and plays a lot harder and more aggressive than Stokes does.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As always simply saying things like they need to stop the turnovers or they need to stop missing bunnies does not provide insight into what is happening or why things are happening. Are they playing too quickly? Is there a lot of contact? We're passes to the wrong side of a player? Did a player fail to close on a pass and close out the defender? Was a player out of position causing another to travel when they went to pass to the expected location or threw the ball out of bounds based on expectations? Is it a cacophony of errors or is there a pattern. Seeing the result doesn't necessarily help to diagnos or repair the problem.

HGN

Reaction Score
Good win..And and all the kids got to play.

My only concern is our Free throw percentage. That is one area that we must improve upon.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Could we please stop sniping at one another for posting an opposing opinion? If you disagree with a post, try giving your reason why rather than taking potshots at the poster.

No wonder lurkers are intimidated into silence. They're afraid they'll post something "wrong" and get attacked.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good win..And and all the kids got to play.

My only concern is our Free throw percentage. That is one area that we must improve upon.
KML needs to get more FTAs.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Are the top 10-20 teams only supposed to play themselves? How could we ever accomplish anything different. We have done pretty good with the same system in place for the past 20 years-:)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
As always simply saying things like they need to stop the turnovers or they need to stop missing bunnies does not provide insight into what is happening or why things are happening. Are they playing too quickly? Is there a lot of contact? We're passes to the wrong side of a player? Did a player fail to close on a pass and close out the defender? Was a player out of position causing another to travel when they went to pass to the expected location or threw the ball out of bounds based on expectations? Is it a cacophony of errors or is there a pattern. Seeing the result doesn't necessarily help to diagnos or repair the problem.

thank you.

Reaction Score
Could we please stop sniping at one another for posting an opposing opinion? If you disagree with a post, try giving your reason why rather than taking potshots at the poster..
I find this post to be poopy.
Haha. Just kidding Nan.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I find this post to be poopy.
Haha. Just kidding Nan.
vowel_vaporize.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's a game thread. In depth analysis is often not possible during a fast-paced game.
That type of analysis is exactly what is needed in game threads and, also, post game threads. In game threads it is necessary if one wants to understand what the options are that can be made on the run. It is coach in game thinking. It is asking what are we able to do to change the status quo of the present situation. It is thinking of changes in defense, man to man vs zone and if so which zone, it is deciding to press or to slow the game down, it is a hundred things and maybe none of them. Any of which may be what is necessary now or the game can be lost.

It is, also, post game analysis. It is seeing what skills must be developed, it is recognizing which player combinations worked and which did not. It is planning for the future and broader long term changes and team development. It is all that and much more. But in game analysis is always important and is helpful even in game threads because of what we learn. If in game analysis is not helpful or possible then coaches need only sit mute on the bench. For fans it is interesting and helpful because we can see if the coaches see what we see and make adjustments that we might posit as worthwhile.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That type of analysis is exactly what is needed in game threads and, also, post game threads. In game threads it is necessary if one wants to understand what the options are that can be made on the run. It is coach in game thinking. It is asking what are we able to do to change the status quo of the present situation. It is thinking of changes in defense, man to man vs zone and if so which zone, it is deciding to press or to slow the game down, it is a hundred things and maybe none of them. Any of which may be what is necessary now or the game can be lost.

It is, also, post game analysis. It is seeing what skills must be developed, it is recognizing which player combinations worked and which did not. It is planning for the future and broader long term changes and team development. It is all that and much more. But in game analysis is always important and is helpful even in game threads because of what we learn. If in game analysis is not helpful or possible then coaches need only sit mute on the bench. For fans it is interesting and helpful because we can see if the coaches see what we see and make adjustments that we might posit as worthwhile.
I disagree. Game threads are the e-version of sitting in a room and watching the game together. Someone might blurt out "C'mon, get those rebounds!" because that's probably what they're doing at home. Anyone going into a long discourse on boxing out and defensive positions is doomed to having their post passed over because no one will stop watching the game long enough to read long posts.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's a game thread. In depth analysis is often not possible during a fast-paced game.

Analysis? No...assist and steals, zone vs man, spacing, what's happening in the paint, etc - yes. I agree that in a fast paced game it is hard to do it for every play, but some of it can be done. did it when I was doing the game threads this fall.

there is no analysis on the board today. I know because I looked in order to post it to the Boneyard FB page. Not even a link to anything other than the newslinks which is what I ended up using. But I do know that getting people to click on the BY from the FB page is a tough sell, having them have to hunt for specifics is likely going to be more difficult.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I disagree. Game threads are the e-version of sitting in a room and watching the game together. Someone might blurt out "C'mon, get those rebounds!" because that's probably what they're doing at home. Anyone going into a long discourse on boxing out and defensive positions is doomed to having their post passed over because no one will stop watching the game long enough to read long posts.
then we have to agree to disagree, because it can be done on some scale.

"That's stupid" tells the reader, particularly a reader who missed the game and is reading the game thread to try to get the flavor nothing at all IMO.

Hence my earlier post

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
oops...didn't know you were chatting with ice...sorry

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Analysis? No...assist and steals, zone vs man, spacing, what's happening in the paint, etc - yes. I agree that in a fast paced game it is hard to do it for every play, but some of it can be done. did it when I was doing the game threads this fall.

there is no analysis on the board today. I know because I looked in order to post it to the Boneyard FB page. Not even a link to anything other than the newslinks which is what I ended up using. But I do know that getting people to click on the BY from the FB page is a tough sell, having them have to hunt for specifics is likely going to be more difficult.
Well, there are other UConn boards out there, maybe those will have more nuts and bolts analysis some seem to want. Or, maybe the folks that want more analysis can start threads that are more tecnical in nature rather than waiting for them to appear. I do know asking people to change to suit them is fruitless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom