Game Thread UCONN/ND | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Game Thread UCONN/ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
not even close. We were never in the game. I'm hoping it was an anomaly and we get better to make it to NO.

You played a good close game vs. a top 5 team and rival on your home floor. The game could have gone either way.
I remember the last time UConn gave Stanford an early season beat down. That year didn't end well for UConn.

Reaction Score
I remember the last time UConn gave Stanford an early season beat down. That year didn't end well for UConn.

yeah, but you guys lost Greene and Thomas. We had Wiggins. We have no Wiggins this yr. As UconnCat said, it's a guards game. We need Orrange, Kokenis, plus Camp and Green all to step up. I like Camp a lot and think she will give us big boost (coming off of injury). Same for Greene, but I haven't seen enough of her yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This feels bad because of the frustration. We have lost 5 of 6 to ND, 4 of which were winnable. We take leads but can't close them out. It's the same story over and over. This year, we were supposed to be better and ND was supposed to be weaker, so expectations were high. Plus, unlike Stanford, Duke, et al., we just don't like the ND players. It adds up to a very bitter feeling.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This feels bad because of the frustration. We have lost 5 of 6 to ND, 4 of which were winnable. We take leads but can't close them out. It's the same story over and over. This year, we were supposed to be better and ND was supposed to be weaker, so expectations were high. Plus, unlike Stanford, Duke, et al., we just don't like the ND players. It adds up to a very bitter feeling.

Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm ambivalent about today's game. One part of me feels that frustration because UConn is supposed to be the better team this year. At the same time, this is not (yet?) the UConn we expected to see this year. Breanna is struggling against better teams more than we expected. Our AA guard Bria Hartley is just not the player we remember seeing last year. Maybe the Stanford game gave us a false sense of where this team is right now. Stanford is flawed (Nneka, like most great players do, hid those flaws last year) and Stanford missed many open shots.

This team will not have a shot at a national championship unless Bria rediscovers her game (health?) and Stewart relaxes and makes the game slow down. There are other adjustments that need to and will be made in offense and game management, but none of that will matter if Bria and Stewart don't play better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm ambivalent about today's game. One part of me feels that frustration because UConn is supposed to be the better team this year. At the same time, this is not (yet?) the UConn we expected to see this year. Breanna is struggling against better teams more than we expected. Our AA guard Bria Hartley is just not the player we remember seeing last year. Maybe the Stanford game gave us a false sense of where this team is right now. Stanford is flawed (Nneka, like most great players do, hid those flaws last year) and Stanford missed many open shots.

This team will not have a shot at a national championship unless Bria rediscovers her game (health?) and Stewart relaxes and makes the game slow down. There are other adjustments that need to and will be made in offense and game management, but none of that will matter if Bria and Stewart don't play better.
To paraphrase Dennis Green's beer commercial, "We are not who we thought we were." We need to find out who we really are and who we can become.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

IMO, Stef was the only UConn starter who played well. If Bria and Kelly played closer to their potential and Kaleena had not been hampered with fouls and a bum ankle, UConn wins this game regardless of Breanna's level of play.

Reaction Score

we were short handed in the back court once again last year after losing Camp in Dec. (who had 14 pts and nice game at UConn), then Green was lost too. We're getting both of them back this year, which will help. We also lost frosh post, Aly Beebe to ACL, so we are thin at the post this yr. None of these players are of Nneka's talent, but should help.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMO, Stef was the only UConn starter who played well. If Bria and Kelly played closer to their potential and Kaleena had not been hampered with fouls and a bum ankle, UConn wins this game regardless of Breanna's level of play.
Bria is the biggest missing in action at this point. She is playing very passively and doesn't seem to be playing with the same joy and abandoned. She certainly is not playing like the take charge team leader some expected of her the last two years.

Kelly played well.

Injuries are frustrating and never happen at a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom