Game Thread UCONN/ND | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Game Thread UCONN/ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Notable points: less than 1/3 3s which is usually Geno's shutdown point. FT differential is the big thing. ND way over performed on 3pt shooting. To date they have been a weak 3pt team.

ND got to the line a lot more because they were taking the ball to the basket. In a fast paced game like that three point shooting is harder because players feel rushed and because legs are tired.

I would like to have seen more plays for Dolson and Stewart in the paint and fewer from the high post.

Reaction Score
According to ESPN Gamecast:
ND UConn
Rebounds 33 42
Assists 12 21
Blocks 4 9
Turnovers 14 14
Fouls 16 17
Largest lead 9 5
Shooting 25/66 28/71
3pt Shooting 6/12 5/23
Free Throws 17/24 11/14

tough loss for sure at home, but think you'd beat ND in New Orleans with your frosh getting more experience. KML's ankle injury was tough too. Hard to push off of on that last 3.

The key looking at these stats (and during the game) was you guys took too many threes and didn't go inside to Steph more, where I thought you had an advantage - as evident of boarding.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
ND got to the line a lot more because they were taking the ball to the basket. In a fast paced game like that three point shooting is harder because players feel rushed and because legs are tired.

I would like to have seen more plays for Dolson and Stewart in the paint and fewer from the high post.
It's up to the refs to call the game accurately, but ND's aggressiveness is usually rewarded. I think the two early fouls on KML were very poor and caused her to miss time she should not have had to with foul trouble.

As much as I love McBride's game, I absolutely loathe Diggins (not her game - she always plays hard and smart - but whines and divas around way too much for me).

Reaction Score
The key looking at these stats (and during the game) was you guys took too many threes and didn't go inside to Steph more, where I thought you had an advantage - as evident of boarding.

Stewart 5-17 with 4 TOs
Lack of Stokes hurt too.

Reaction Score

agree. ND pushed tempo too. A few too many easy baskets or fouls on lay-ups.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was going by ESPN's play-by-play tracker. But given the fact they credited Kelly with the assist, let's just say, I'm not 100% certain of it's accuracy:

4:41 Michaela Mabrey made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Kelly Faris.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/playbyplay?gameId=330050041&period=2
Don't trust the ESPN play by play it is frequently off look at how much they had happening at 4:41. Heck of a thing for Kelly Faris to have an assist on that shot, too.

4:41 Bria Hartley Turnover. 65-65
4:41 Skylar Diggins Steal.
65-65
4:41 Kayla McBride missed Two Point Jumper.
65-65
4:41 Kelly Faris Defensive Rebound.
65-65
4:41 Breanna Stewart made Two Point Layup. Assisted by Kelly Faris.
65-67
4:41 Michaela Mabrey Turnover.
65-67
4:41 Kelly Faris Turnover.
65-67
4:41 Michaela Mabrey made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Kelly Faris.
68-67

I was looking at the clock on the TV screen.

Reaction Score
Stewart 5-17 with 4 TOs
Lack of Stokes hurt too.

Agree re: Stokes. Imho, Steph was needed at low post more, but she hit some nice perimeter shots. Stewie isn't strong enough inside, yet. She'll get there though!

Reaction Score
Have to agree that Stokes could have made a difference. Hope she's back for the rematch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Agree re: Stokes. Imho, Steph was needed at low post more, but she hit some nice perimeter shots. Stewie isn't strong enough inside, yet. She'll get there though!
Nice in theory but we were having a terrible time getting the ball into the low post and ND collapsed immediately.

Reaction Score
Nice in theory but we were having a terrible time getting the ball into the low post and ND collapsed immediately.

Yeah, it worked when you quickly reversed the ball and passed UConn way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I agree. Stef was open a few times in the first half and the guards didn't get her the ball. With both Stewart and Dolson in the game at the same time it makes more sense to have Dolson high because she's a better passer. Plus, Stewart needs to score against Braker. She just does. I know she's thin and needs to get stronger, but she needed to take advantage of her opportunities.

Everyone who has talked about how good UConn is this year has talked about Breanna Stewart as a difference-maker. The reality is that Breanna has a long way to go against tough competition. She showed some grit in the second half after a terrible first half, but she needs to get tougher. I have high hopes for April.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This was a home game and how many balls hit the rim and just bounced away. ND goes to the line 10 more times then UConn 24 to 14 which is a pattern that keeps games close and allows ND to win.

I guess we know how Stanford felt now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not even close. This is a one point loss to a team that always plays us tough. The other was an old fashioned beat down.

Reaction Score

not even close. We were never in the game. I'm hoping it was an anomaly and we get better to make it to NO.

You played a good close game vs. a top 5 team and rival on your home floor. The game could have gone either way.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
That last foul called when Diggins flopped on the drive by Bria really ticked me off. She has flopping down to a science--there was no contact at all...
Worthy of either an Oscar, or red card.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads