Game planning for the Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game planning for the Huskies

Reaction Score
What is CW’s 3 point %? Seems she has missed like her last 10-15. I may be wrong but I don’t think she’s made any last couple games. I need to go look. She’s such a threat everywhere though, so even if she doesn’t make any she’s a problem for any team.
I don’t know, but her overall contributions have been on point. I stated this before, most of her 3 point misses are long. Maybe pressing too much. She had nasty blocks in the UCF game and the Indiana game. Keep doing what you have been doing, Christyn!

Reaction Score
NC Sts guard are really small, our guards could post them down low and not be stopped.
If helps come, drop it to a big.
CW is the most likely guard to do this, looking for a big game from her.
That’s what ND was doing until Wes Moore sat Diamond Johnson. I don’t know if Diamond even played the 2nd half. Olivia Miles was getting good looks over her from the outside and Anaya Peoples was posting her on several possessions.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What is CW’s 3 point %? Seems she has missed like her last 10-15. I may be wrong but I don’t think she’s made any last couple games. I need to go look. She’s such a threat everywhere though, so even if she doesn’t make any she’s a problem for any team.
Did you forget Christyn’s nothing but net dagger vs UCF? Even Geno was celebrating

Reaction Score
NC State has a classic rotation of two centers, three forwards and three guards, so any planning starts with predictability. Any coach is going to go after Cunane to get her in foul trouble, exploit the height advantages at four positions and avoid any zone like the plague because of the ability of so many players beyond the arc. Sounds simple; in practice, it won’t be. NC State is an experienced team with multiple grad transfers and extra year Covid players. That has been a huge factor in this year’s tournament.

Reaction Score
for us: post up the post player without ncs big on her. post up the guards. 5 of them can play that way: paige azzi, caroline, evina, christyn, if they double anyone kick out to azzi and paige. christyn just drive/kick out. :)

Reaction Score
Unlike last year, I think that coaches are having a rougher time planning how to defend the Huskies. Last year it was “slow down Paige, pack the paint, make them shoot from the perimeter “. This year, it’s a whole new ballgame. All nine players have led the team in points, assists, or rebounds during the season.

UCF packed the paint and banged UConn’s post players around so Azzi had enough room to score. Yesterday, the defense’s focus was clearly on Azzi. She got some shots off but Indiana was all over her for most of the game. So Aaliyah and Liv combine for 19 points, 24 rebounds (Indiana had 27 rebound).

And so on. So, who does NC State plan to focus on? Triangle and two on Paige and Azzi? Good luck stopping Aaliya, the human bowling ball, or Liv or Christyn.

If you’re the opposing coach, what’s your defensive strategy for the Huskies?
Depends on the opposing team. If Stanford or South Carolina, they would play straight up, mixing defensive schemes. Speedy guards will still have an advantage against UConn, if they or teammates they pass to can finish well, thus putting pressure on UConn to continue scoring against their own stingy defenses.

NC State? They do have speedy guards but the wings and post players can be neutralized without having to change current asset deployment of UConn: Paige, Azzi, Christyn to start the game for maximum firepower and play together as much as possible with Olivia and Aaliyah manning the post, with Dorka rotating as needed. Caroline and Nika are wildcards.....to balance the floor when needed.

Getting to the FF, UConn will present a more difficult problem to either SC or Stanford but both are not easy to defend as well. SC's post rotation of Boston, Amihere and Cardoso have the strength to outplay UConn post players, perhaps even dominate. Winning against that team means UConn guards have to be the difference, which they are in most games anyway - nothing new. Low scoring affair. Coach will have to tinker with strategy and tactics.

On balance, Stanford is a quicker team all around with scoring ability from all over the floor. It is the more difficult team for UConn to beat. But while the post players are more nimble, they will not overpower the UConn posts. So, it will be quite an interesting fun and games between the two. Geno is likely to just unleash everyone and let them play while admonishing against mindless gimmes like fouls and such.

That's why I kept wishing the bracket was the other way: SC in the SF and Stanford for the NC, since UConn is undefeated in the Finals.

NC#12 is coming into view but the road is not easy - the potholes are deep. Can this team get it done? I am betting on it but praying at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This game is probably the most even match-up in the elite-eight...Whoever figures it out first will have the edge. If UConn can free up Azzi early and Paige continues to look like her old self, we have a good chance to win.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Wes Moore's offensive plan will be to exploit his guards' advantage in mobility over most of the UConn guards, including those coming off the bench. NC State's guards are quick enough to go by the UConn defenders if the defenders play tight, or to hit the 3 if they back off to deal with the Wolfpack guard's first step. That is a problem for UConn, since Christyn is the only guard with the quickness to guard her opponent without needing help.

UConn's help defense may (usually) prevent the opposing guard from getting to the rim, but that still distorts the defense and allows a kickout to the open 3-point shooter.

In the paint, I think Cunane will be able to score on Liv in much the way that Holmes of Indiana did. It will be tough for UConn to deter post entry passes without leaving the perimeter open for 3-point shots. But UConn should have a big matchup advantage at the "4" position. I see another big game from Aaliyah.

On defense, Tobacco Road will have a problem. Olivia Miles showed that the Wolfpack have trouble defending fast guards who can penetrate, and that is Christyn's game. If Paige is OK, she can do the same. If they try to get in Azzi's face to stop the 3's, she can get to the rim also. All of them are capable of finding the open shooter if the defense collapses on them.

The game may come down to which team is hotter from the 3-point line. It is unsettling to have an Elite Eight game decided by that kind of a coin flip. But if Aaliyah has a big game and stays out of foul trouble, or if Dorka and Caroline can calm down and play their normal game, or if Evina can show her late-season form, NC State will have trouble matching UConn's bench depth. That could be the decisive factor late in the game.

Reaction Score
Defending Uconn I would apply the zone trap defense and play a 3-2 zone similar to what UCF did to us. They held us to 52 points so why not.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Notre Dame lost their game by loose ball-handling by the guards. We need to keep their thievery to a minimum!

Reaction Score
I hope we post our guards up alot. Big advantage there. A game where I think Ducharme will have a great impact as well.
Yes, and keep Cunane away from the basket as much as possible. Aaliyah could also be a very big factor at both ends. They don't have a comparable answer for both she and Liv on the floor at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we keep North Carolina's guards contained on the dribble they will shoot 3's well but lose the rebounding battle. NC State's best lineup includes Boyd, who is tough to stop. They play their depth with no one playing more than 30 minutes generally. Even Cunane only plays around 25 minutes a game. NC State came back in the 4th quarter against a good Notre Dame team. Their depth is a strength for them and we should factor that into our planning.

NC State generates a lot of points off turnovers and they get a lot of steals. We need to keep turnovers under 15 for sure.

NC State doesn't turn the ball over very much themselves. They are like a Super Bowl team which wins by having a strong defense and just not making many mistakes on offense. Their quick guards can shoot and they don't turn it over. We need to maximize results from every possession and not turn it over ourselves. I expect to see lots of Paige and Azzi again this game mainly because they don't turn it over and they both can score. I'm just hoping we keep them fresh because NC State does use their depth and will be fresher in the 4th if we don't give our players a breather during the game.

Johnson and Crutchfield are solid guards. Two little Ari McDonalds. We need to stay in front of them and that takes fresh legs. There is no reason why we can't post their guards down low though. We should also use our post depth and wear out Cunane, possibly getting her in foul trouble.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If we keep North Carolina's guards contained on the dribble they will shoot 3's well but lose the rebounding battle. NC State's best lineup includes Boyd, who is tough to stop. They play their depth with no one playing more than 30 minutes generally. Even Cunane only plays around 25 minutes a game. NC State came back in the 4th quarter against a good Notre Dame team. Their depth is a strength for them and we should factor that into our planning.

NC State generates a lot of points off turnovers and they get a lot of steals. We need to keep turnovers under 15 for sure.

NC State doesn't turn the ball over very much themselves. They are like a Super Bowl team which wins by having a strong defense and just not making many mistakes on offense. Their quick guards can shoot and they don't turn it over. We need to maximize results from every possession and not turn it over ourselves. I expect to see lots of Paige and Azzi again this game mainly because they don't turn it over and they both can score. I'm just hoping we keep them fresh because NC State does use their depth and will be fresher in the 4th if we don't give our players a breather during the game.

Johnson and Crutchfield are solid guards. Two little Ari McDonalds. We need to stay in front of them and that takes fresh legs. There is no reason why we can't post their guards down low though. We should also use our post depth and wear out Cunane, possibly getting her in foul trouble.
Th thread is about NC State will guard UConn

Reaction Score
NCState has two pesky guards with really quick hands. If I were Wes Moore, I'd start there. Keep pressure on the ball and just try to slow down UConn's offense. We know that at times UConn has had trouble against teams that have been able to slow down the half-court offense.

State isn't a tall team. Except for Cunane, I think they give up at least a couple of inches to UConn's players at every position. So they need to rely on quickness at the guard positions and strength at the forwards. They're a good grind-it-out team, and I think their best chance is to turn it into a grind-it-out game. If the officiating is as it was in the first half last game, that would be to their favor, but if it's as it was in the second half, they'll need to find a plan b.
Honestly, watching them was like watching grass grow. Their hands .ay be quick, but their bodies were s..l..o..w.

Reaction Score
Unlike last year, I think that coaches are having a rougher time planning how to defend the Huskies. Last year it was “slow down Paige, pack the paint, make them shoot from the perimeter “. This year, it’s a whole new ballgame. All nine players have led the team in points, assists, or rebounds during the season.

UCF packed the paint and banged UConn’s post players around so Azzi had enough room to score. Yesterday, the defense’s focus was clearly on Azzi. She got some shots off but Indiana was all over her for most of the game. So Aaliyah and Liv combine for 19 points, 24 rebounds (Indiana had 27 rebound).

And so on. So, who does NC State plan to focus on? Triangle and two on Paige and Azzi? Good luck stopping Aaliya, the human bowling ball, or Liv or Christyn.

If I'm NC St I'd start straight up. Maybe man for man. When that failed, starting at half time I'd used the UCF approach. If I could stay within 5 late in the 4th I have a chance.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn can not get in foul trouble when Cunane gets the ball. Our bigs have to stay out of foul trouble. If Cunane gets in foul trouble it could be a blow out. UConn has 9 players and 4 bigs that NC State has to worry about. Stay out of foul trouble and thats all she wrote.

Reaction Score
With respect to Cunane, assuming UConn can advance, this will give Geno some ideas on how to handle potential match ups with Stanford and SC post players.

Oh, and by the way, don't forget Louisville/Michigan. No one is talking about them, but.....first things first. Beat NCST.

PS. Honestly, given the competition, from here on in, UConn will go as far as ONO, Edwards and Dorka take them. IMO.

Reaction Score

This is the first major test of our front court. For the first time in the tournament, we will be facing a bonafide All American post player and a can't-miss WNBA/Euro League all star. After Cunane, there loom Brink and possibly Boston. Can our front court triumvirate play their AA post to a standstill? We can certainly beat them in the back court. Moment of truth!

Reaction Score

I think I'd pack the paint, controlling the glass to me is the most important part of the game. Outside of Azzi, to include Paige, we don't have any reliable three point shooting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is the first major test of our front court. For the first time in the tournament, we will be facing a bonafide All American post player and a can't-miss WNBA/Euro League all star. After Cunane, there loom Brink and possibly Boston. Can our front court triumvirate play their AA post to a standstill? We can certainly beat them in the back court. Moment of truth!
UConn faced two All-Americans in the Big East, twice each. Aneesa Morrow at DePaul and Maddy Siegrist of Villanova are both All-Americans.

I’d love to see Morrow vs Cunane. Wouldn’t that be a fun matchup?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom