Game planning for the Huskies | The Boneyard

Game planning for the Huskies

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unlike last year, I think that coaches are having a rougher time planning how to defend the Huskies. Last year it was “slow down Paige, pack the paint, make them shoot from the perimeter “. This year, it’s a whole new ballgame. All nine players have led the team in points, assists, or rebounds during the season.

UCF packed the paint and banged UConn’s post players around so Azzi had enough room to score. Yesterday, the defense’s focus was clearly on Azzi. She got some shots off but Indiana was all over her for most of the game. So Aaliyah and Liv combine for 19 points, 24 rebounds (Indiana had 27 rebound).

And so on. So, who does NC State plan to focus on? Triangle and two on Paige and Azzi? Good luck stopping Aaliya, the human bowling ball, or Liv or Christyn.

If you’re the opposing coach, what’s your defensive strategy for the Huskies?

PvP

Reaction Score
Unlike last year, I think that coaches are having a rougher time planning how to defend the Huskies. Last year it was “slow down Paige, pack the paint, make them shoot from the perimeter “. This year, it’s a whole new ballgame. All nine players have led the team in points, assists, or rebounds during the season.

UCF packed the paint and banged UConn’s post players around so Azzi had enough room to score. Yesterday, the defense’s focus was clearly on Azzi. She got some shots off but Indiana was all over her for most of the game. So Aaliyah and Liv combine for 19 points, 24 rebounds (Indiana had 27 rebound).

And so on. So, who does NC State plan to focus on? Triangle and two on Paige and Azzi? Good luck stopping Aaliya, the human bowling ball, or Liv or Christyn.

How about say your prayers?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
NCState has two pesky guards with really quick hands. If I were Wes Moore, I'd start there. Keep pressure on the ball and just try to slow down UConn's offense. We know that at times UConn has had trouble against teams that have been able to slow down the half-court offense.

State isn't a tall team. Except for Cunane, I think they give up at least a couple of inches to UConn's players at every position. So they need to rely on quickness at the guard positions and strength at the forwards. They're a good grind-it-out team, and I think their best chance is to turn it into a grind-it-out game. If the officiating is as it was in the first half last game, that would be to their favor, but if it's as it was in the second half, they'll need to find a plan b.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NCState has two pesky guards with really quick hands. If I were Wes Moore, I'd start there. Keep pressure on the ball and just try to slow down UConn's offense. We know that at times UConn has had trouble against teams that have been able to slow down the half-court offense.

State isn't a tall team. Except for Cunane, I think they give up at least a couple of inches to UConn's players at every position. So they need to rely on quickness at the guard positions and strength at the forwards. They're a good grind-it-out team, and I think their best chance is to turn it into a grind-it-out game. If the officiating is as it was in the first half last game, that would be to their favor, but if it's as it was in the second half, they'll need to find a plan b.
I hope we post our guards up alot. Big advantage there. A game where I think Ducharme will have a great impact as well.

Reaction Score
You cant guard everyone. Other teams seem to focus on our bigs or Paige and now Azzi. This is the time that CW can go off provided she drives and does not settle for taking a 3. Damn, if she can hit 2-3 from deep she would be unstoppable on the drive. In fact she may be unstoppable now. She is one the best, top 5?, in slashing to the basket that has played for us.

Reaction Score
This thread is refreshing, actually from the other coaches perspective on how to stop UConn. It seems on the Boneyard it's 24/7 what UConn need to do..."if UConn plays like they have played they will lose to (fill teams name here)" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What is CW’s 3 point %? Seems she has missed like her last 10-15. I may be wrong but I don’t think she’s made any last couple games. I need to go look. She’s such a threat everywhere though, so even if she doesn’t make any she’s a problem for any team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You cant guard everyone. Other teams seem to focus on our bigs or Paige and now Azzi. This is the time that CW can go off provided she drives and does not settle for taking a 3. Damn, if she can hit 2-3 from deep she would be unstoppable on the drive. In fact she may be unstoppable now. She is one the best, top 5?, in slashing to the basket that has played for us.
Her driving has improved because I see more change of pace in her game. I am fine with Christyn taking open 3pt shots in rhythm. She has improved to above 35% and often starts the game off right with a big 3. She gets in trouble when she tries to be a volume bomber.

Reaction Score
I have been saying for a while. UCONN'S offense is All-inclusive. Also Serving defense for appetizers.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hope we post our guards up alot. Big advantage there. A game where I think Ducharme will have a great impact as well.
As much as I would like to agree with you, before the IU game, Geno said that Caroline was going to have a bigger impact (paraphrasing) on the game. She didn't. She played well for the 9 minutes she was on the court (wow, in retrospect it didn't seem like she was on the court for 9 minutes), scoring 4 points kinda quickly and only 1 TO.
But I am hoping that she does get some more time against NC State but it will depend on the answer to Nan's OP...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Christyn’s impact on the game is so underappreciated. She seems really dialed in and focused on doing the things that she does well. Before the start of the season I predicted that teams would need to extend their defense to pick up our three point shooters and that would give Williams space to drive to the hoop. Well, now that we are at full strength, it is happening.

I’m so happy for Christyn. I think that sometimes the burden of being a leader and/or the go to player weighed heavily on her. Now, however, she seems to be content to let the game come to her and her considerable talent and athleticism takes over.

Reaction Score
Her driving has improved because I see more change of pace in her game. I am fine with Christyn taking open 3pt shots in rhythm. She has improved to above 35% and often starts the game off right with a big 3. She gets in trouble when she tries to be a volume bomber.

Her 3 point shooting seems to be feast or famine from game to game. Last night was 0/3, but she was quicker and stronger than Indiana. it was a very high bball iq approach, and D was excellent.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For NC State to defend UConn they have to stop UConns guards and rebound. UConn has a height advantage underneath and a height advantage at the guards. Thats gonna be tuff to stop. Get anybody especially Culane in foul trouble and NC State will struggle all night. UConn should win by double digits if we stay out of foul trouble.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I also think there is an element of surprise - according to the media guide this was the first game between Indiana and Uconn ever - we generally do not lose in tournament against new opponents and I can't remember a tournament where we will spend the second weekend playing against 'virgins' (NC State is also new to Uconn.)

The surprise element mostly is the defense - most teams do not switch as much as Uconn on defense.

UCF is plenty used to Uconn and gave us a tough game.

Reaction Score
As much as I would like to agree with you, before the IU game, Geno said that Caroline was going to have a bigger impact (paraphrasing) on the game. She didn't. She played well for the 9 minutes she was on the court (wow, in retrospect it didn't seem like she was on the court for 9 minutes), scoring 4 points kinda quickly and only 1 TO.
But I am hoping that she does get some more time against NC State but it will depend on the answer to Nan's OP...
she was pulled right after trying an underhand layup against way too much traffic.......she seems to prefer that style of layup but at times it's not the best option......

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
wolfies got to worry more about how they are gonna score against uconn than about stopping uconn. that's their nut to crack. they gotta hope their shooting is primetime.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Wes Moore literally has to pick his poison. Paige, Azzi or Christyn from the guards. Liv, Aaliyah and Dorka up front. .Off the bench comes Evina and Caroline - both capable of putting up points. He can't stop it all. If he chooses to double team someone, we know UConn can find that open player. And how will NC State handle Nika? Are they ready for UConn's team speed?

Outside of Cunnane, NC State height seems limited. Who will they have battle Edwards? What if we go with Dorka and Liv? A chess match of match ups. Geno has more pieces to play.

I believe NC State is going to be surprised, like Indiana, with UConn's physical play. Also with UConn's quickness and switching on defense. Not sure if NC State has seen the type/ style of defense UConn plays. Height advantage goes to UConn at the guards and the front line. Post entry passes to Cunnane may be difficult at best. Nika is someone the Wolfpack hasn't seen before. If Geno plays the line changes, fresh legs and pressure will most likely be NC State's downfall.

Reaction Score
Christyn is playing with a passion. IMO Caroline will be a "match up from
hell" for the Tarheels if all the stars are in allignment for her. GO TEAM!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
wolfies got to worry more about how they are gonna score against uconn than about stopping uconn. that's their nut to crack. they gotta hope their shooting is primetime.
They're actually a pretty good inside-outside team. They shoot almost 40% as a team from three. They could very well come out gunning from three, and if they make a few early that will open up the paint. If they're not hitting from the outside, they'll have a really tough time scoring.

Reaction Score
I loved yesterdays game. Nice to see Geno call some time outs to re-group. I’d really like to see him do that tomorrow as well.

Reaction Score
I also think there is an element of surprise - according to the media guide this was the first game between Indiana and Uconn ever - we generally do not lose in tournament against new opponents and I can't remember a tournament where we will spend the second weekend playing against 'virgins' (NC State is also new to Uconn.)

The surprise element mostly is the defense - most teams do not switch as much as Uconn on defense.

UCF is plenty used to Uconn and gave us a tough game.
Well they beat us in the ‘ 98 elite 8 but hey it’s been awhile

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom