Game 5 - Just Simply | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game 5 - Just Simply

Reaction Score
Just a terrible day for our offense. They took Pindell out of the running game or we helped with our play calling and once it was him chucking throws down the sidelines we were a 3 and out machine. Leone put up a fight and our offensive lineman need to step up and match him but I am starting to doubt if Peart will ever. I would play his backup at this point. On defense our cornerbacks are young but there is no guarantee that they will ever be good. The whole group went backwards today.

Reaction Score
I'm not perfect in the game threads, but as a general rule I dont like calling out individual players.
No need to call out players (and rightfully so)
as HCRE has returned to his snarky self and is accepting responsibility for all of the team’s shortcomings for the balance of the year.

Reaction Score
Just a terrible day for our offense. They took Pindell out of the running game or we helped with our play calling and once it was him chucking throws down the sidelines we were a 3 and out machine. Leone put up a fight and our offensive lineman need to step up and match him but I am starting to doubt if Peart will ever. I would play his backup at this point. On defense our cornerbacks are young but there is no guarantee that they will ever be good. The whole group went backwards today.
Great point that it’s hard at this point to really see if they’ll eventually be good. My fear is that they don’t stick around long enough to find out and we end up starting all over again.

Reaction Score
Defense is very young and thought they had some bright spots today. The offense isn’t young and aside from running backs and OL, had some players at the skilled positions. I thought after the missed “Chip Shot” that the team, especially the offense was flat. Should have been 14-10 at half, could have been 14-14. The prevent defense that allowed Cincy to stampede down field just before the half was gutless and in my opinion took the air out of the ball.

Reaction Score
You're totally right. I think the team gave up once that happened. It was just so classic UConn--one of those moments where you just know the game is over, and the players have come to know those moments too. They see it happen and think, "Here we go again..."
Yeah. They definitely collapsed mentally. They don’t have the confidence nor credentials yet to believe they could pick up the offense in that situation. They probably felt like the weight of the game was on their shoulders at that moment. And I’m sure some of them knew that Cincy would get the ball back to start the second half.
I also believe they went into a soft zone in order to hold to a fg. Not a great idea. I believe with nothing to lose you get aggressive and tell your young team to attack

Reaction Score
It does beg important questions about development. Exposure its beneficial to a point--I'm not sure how positive an experience this season is for our freshmen. I hope they are able to improve despite the circumstances
Freshmen on every roster go through challenges. For other teams it’s the challenge of coming out of high school being the man, getting promised playing time- or at least being told you have a shot to compete for a spot- then being relegated to a practice player. You’re not dressing for games and you start to think about the other schools who told you they wanted you. Mentally you struggle because your life consists of practice and class- no games. Some of those kids transfer, some fizzle out and become four year bench warmers and others stay patient, work hard and rise to the occasion. For our freshmen they’re getting tons of playing time, traveling, seeing their names called and all that great stuff- but they’re getting their butts whipped every weekend and having to grind through practice while hearing the media and fans say they suck. Some may begin to question if they want to keep doing this, others question if they’re good enough. But some will look at all this playing time as a blessing. They’re getting used to the speed of the game and getting tons of experience seeing things on the field they’ve never witnessed in high school. And those kids will acquire a sour taste for losing and realizing how their deficiencies contributed to it and attack the off-season with pride and passion. The issue here is our team has the glorious opportunity to have their struggles placed on display every weekend.
It’s really not productive to micro analyze every single thing that is happening along their journey. Why oh why does anyone believe that what happened yesterday is such a surprise to the point where they don’t want to attend games anymore? To each his own, yes.
But gosh. It’s a process fellas. They are going through the same thing that we would go through if we were freshmen lining up against grown me. Most of us on here would miss assignments, lose some confidence and generally get our butts whipped- most of the time.
We judge these kids and bash them as if we would do better.
That’s the part that makes me chuckle.
For the guys who played football here, do you honestly believe if you were in their shoes, surrounded by a bunch of players who just left high school like you, that you could honestly do better- at the FBS level?
Seriously guys.
Chill out and let these young guys learn and adapt and hope they attack the offseason the right way.
The great thing is all the teams we will be playing in a few years- most of their players are on the bench right now. Ours are playing and will have a leg up in experience.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was no turning point yesterday. It would have taken a miracle to beat Cincinnati. While I am not a big fan of Edsall, it is not his or Crocker's or any current coaches' fault that the team sucks. There is a realistic chance UConn loses every remaining game by at least 2 TD's. The team is terrible, and is at least another year away from being even marginally competitive. .

Reaction Score
Simply UNACCEPTABLE! We just lost to Cinci by 42. We should be on par and in fact surpassing them in football by now, if you believe that UCONN can play big time football. In fact this program was almost big time (Fiesta Bowl 2010). To have the WORST D in the history of Div 1 football is simply not acceptable. Forget the rebuilding, growing, learning and other excuses. You do that in practice and bring in players that can play period. If you're on the field, you better play, or you don't belong on the field. The same standards needs to be placed on the coaches. If you coach at this level you better coach at this level or you don't coach anymore, at least at this level. That's very basic to understand. Fans should accept nothing less. This program needs a reset.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Simply UNACCEPTABLE! We just lost to Cinci by 42. We should be on par and in fact surpassing them in football by now, if you believe that UCONN can play big time football. In fact this program was almost big time (Fiesta Bowl 2010). To have the WORST D in the history of Div 1 football is simply not acceptable. Forget the rebuilding, growing, learning and other excuses. You do that in practice and bring in players that can play period. If you're on the field, you better play, or you don't belong on the field. The same standards needs to be placed on the coaches. If you coach at this level you better coach at this level or you don't coach anymore, at least at this level. That's very basic to understand. Fans should accept nothing less. This program needs a reset.

If it's that easy, how come nobody in the AD has reached out to you yet?

Reaction Score
If it's that easy, how come nobody in the AD has reached out to you yet?
Haha. Good one there. Look we are all just fans, alumni etc. and of course these coaches know much more than we do. All i'm saying is you cannot make excuses for being the worst ever...if you intend to be competent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom