Gabby NPOY ? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gabby NPOY ?

Reaction Score
I find it interesting how people are saying no way can Gabulous be NPOY despite what she has done for this team the past three years and especially this season, but claim that Stevens despite not playing in an actual game for a year and having never played in one for UConn and as a recruit was ranked below Gabby is a candidate for NPOY next season. Like I said earlier: people are obsessed with new shiny things.

Reaction Score
I think many are being affected by "recency bias" in the extreme here. Gabby comes up big in one big game, has her best game ever, and all of a sudden it will be a crime if voters don't anoint her NPOY. Plum already has this locked down so tightly that she'll get most or all of the POY awards even if she gets hurt and doesn't play another minute all year.

The Gabby frenzy will last until our next game when Lou scores 30 and there will be 12 threads about how she could be NPOY 3 straight years. But only until the next game after that when Pheesa has a 25/10/5 game and we think she is the obvious shoo-in choice.

I think Gabby will make WBCA AA next year and get on the HOH wall.

Reaction Score
I think many are being affected by "recency bias" in the extreme here. Gabby comes up big in one big game, has her best game ever, and all of a sudden it will be a crime if voters don't anoint her NPOY. Plum already has this locked down so tightly that she'll get most or all of the POY awards even if she gets hurt and doesn't play another minute all year.

The Gabby frenzy will last until our next game when Lou scores 30 and there will be 12 threads about how she could be NPOY 3 straight years. But only until the next game after that when Pheesa has a 25/10/5 game and we think she is the obvious shoo-in choice.

I think Gabby will make WBCA AA next year and get on the HOH wall.
I don't think it's just us boneyarders that think Gabby is one of the best players in the country. She's receiving lots of praise and attention from folks whose livelihood is reporting on college basketball - and that was before the South Carolina game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's just us boneyarders that think Gabby is one of the best players in the country. She's receiving lots of praise and attention from folks whose livelihood is reporting on college basketball - and that was before the South Carolina game.
Gabby is by far my favorite player, but "receiving lots of praise and attention" doesn't equate to POY. Just don't think it's realistic. If I'm wrong I'll be overjoyed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While NPOY is still something of a stretch for Gabby, I will be shocked if she doesn't earn 1st team AA honors for one or more AA team this season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The thing is Gabby's game meshes so well with Collier's and the 2 of them fit perfectly with KLS that trying to pick one out of the three is impossible. They are all at the top of their positions and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Reaction Score
Wilson isn't a favorite for any post season "awards" this year. She's somewhere in the mix for 2nd team AA. As for Gabby, she had a great game. She's often the best player on the floor, but she's been too inconsistent. If you expect Gabby to be 1st team AA this year, my bet is you will be disappointed. I do believe KLS and Napheesa are worthy of 1st team AA honors. And I love Gabby, but she's not deserving of 1st team AA as of today. Average 25 PPG the rest of the season and thru the AAC tourney and maybe that will change.

This line of thinking is the problem, Gabby has been the best player on this team without question but you think her two teamates are more deserving. Nonsense.
KLS had no impact against SC because she wasnt scoring, Gabby impacts the game in so many ways its silly. The notion that there are players on this team above her is laughable. I also dont see her inconsistencies, she doesnt look for her offense, even though she can score at will on most nights becaus most cant handle her athleticism.The most feared post players in America by most had no answers.. She is content to defend and board and be a great point-forward.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This line of thinking is the problem, Gabby has been the best player on this team without question but you think her two teamates are more deserving. Nonsense.
KLS had no impact against SC because she wasnt scoring, Gabby impacts the game in so many ways its silly. The notion that there are players on this team above her is laughable. I also dont see her inconsistencies, she doesnt look for her offense, even though she can score at will on most nights becaus most cant handle her athleticism.The most feared post players in America by most had no answers.. She is content to defend and board and be a great point-forward.
Why nonsense? We have 3 terrific players with POY credentials. Gabby has been special most of the year and was extraordinary against ND & SC. KLS has been special most of the year and was extraordinary against @MD. Napheesa has been extraordinary since the start of the season @ FSU and has not had a bad game since. A POY case can be made for each but is not necessary because Kelsey Plum has been more extraordinary.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Gabby is one of the best players in the nation, but if anyone has watched Plum play they realize that she has special basketball talent, especially scoring, that is pretty rare. If she sets the record for the most points scored in a college career and isn't named POY I will be shocked.

Plum is this year's Jackie Stiles. I don't know if Stiles was named POY her senior year but she would have gotten my vote.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Gabby is one of the best players in the nation, but if anyone has watched Plum play they realize that she has special basketball talent, especially scoring, that is pretty rare. If she sets the record for the most points scored in a college career and isn't named POY I will be shocked.

Plum is this year's Jackie Stiles. I don't know if Stiles was named POY her senior year but she would have gotten my vote.
Ruth Riley was 2001 NPOY when Stiles was a senior, the year Notre Dame beat TASSK Force

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sort of hoping for a game between the Huskies and the Huskies, maybe in the regionals in Bridgeport. While Gabby would likely guard Oshahor, Geno just might move her over to guard Plum for a spell. While Plum has faced some solid defenders in the Pac12, I guarantee you she's never faced anyone like Gabby.

Reaction Score
Why nonsense? We have 3 terrific players with POY credentials. Gabby has been special most of the year and was extraordinary against ND & SC. KLS has been special most of the year and was extraordinary against @MD. Napheesa has been extraordinary since the start of the season @ FSU and has not had a bad game since. A POY case can be made for each but is not necessary because Kelsey Plum has been more extraordinary.

It's nonsense to suggest that there are players on this team more deserving of AA honors than her. Not sure what you're responding to, but any post season awards on this team starts with Gabby. She impacts the game in ways the other two can't, she has become the leader of this team, her intangibles are off the charts which seperates her from her two gifted teamates.imo

but is not necessary beca

Reaction Score
I don't now how many different ways I need to say it - I FEEL GABBY SHOULD BE AN AA. In my mind she should be 2nd team AA. That's my opinion. But I totally agree with you - she is a great player who does a TON of things for the team when on the court.

However, I do not believe that VOTERS who actually have a say (I do not) would vote for her as an AA if the voting were held today. They give a TON of weight to reputation, cachet, who's a "name" brand, and most importantly to PPG. At 13 PPG, Gabby falls way short. In fact, someone posted Gabby's stats compared to Osahor - Chantel has more PPG by 2.5, RPB (almost double), and slightly less APG than Gabby, but I don't hear people on her going on and on about her. ;)

I agree about reputation and cachet. I do think with my UCONN bias that three players should wind up being in the top 10 all-american. IMO Gabby, Lou and Collier should be in the drivers seat or should be to be in that top 10.

And IMO Gabby's advanced stats are better than Osahor. Though I agree Osahor is a fine player. Oshaor's efg% vs Gabby's are right next to each other Gabby has slight advantage. Gabby passes better. Gabby has more blocks. Gabby has more steals. Osahor may average more ppg but on a per minuet average it is 18.95 ppg vs 18.65.

IMO Gabby has the edge here. They average nearly identical points on a per minute basis with an efficiency of the same while Osaohor is the better rebounder, Gabby is the better passer. And IMO Gabby's better defender- can use blocks and steals as an indicator.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ruth Riley was 2001 NPOY when Stiles was a senior, the year Notre Dame beat TASSK Force
I think most of us BYers have put an asterisk next to that as both Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosimova both suffered year ending injuries before the final four. Plus "K" was no longer on the team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think most of us BYers have put an asterisk next to that as both Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosimova both suffered year ending injuries before the final four. Plus "K" was no longer on the team.
oh well... we can put asterick next to a lot of stuff BUT Ruth Riley name will be forever engraved in that 2001 trophy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom