Gabby NPOY ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby NPOY ?

Reaction Score
I don't think it would happen, but I think that one of the BEST things that could happen to the NPOY awards and AA selection processes is for UConn to win the National Championship...and NONE of the players be included in the post season awards. IMO that would likely lead to a lot of debate and eventual redefining of these processes, so that they depend a lot less on quantifiable performance and a lot more on qualitative analysis of the player's productivity and value to a team.

Of course, the inverse is true; if UConn wins the NC and sweeps the awards (Naismith and Wade, three players first team AA and two second team) there would be a HUGE uproar from the Stats-Are-Gospel crowd.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would love to Gabby as NPOY but that is not going to happen. Plum will probably take it in a walk off.

As to AA, Gabby should be on one of the 10 member squads. Her all a round game is superior to many others. She is certainly better than Turner of ND and Coates of SC. Show me another post/ forward who has Gabby's stats and complete game.

I think our two first team AA's this year will be Gabby and Lou.

Reaction Score
She is getting a lot of serious press, and she has been absolutely phenomenal in the two most hyped games of the year (ND and this one) so .. I think she is getting some votes for NPOY but she probably loses out to a senior like Plum who will likely break the scoring record close to when the voting happens. As for AA, she has a pretty good chance for that, but UConn's triumvirate may split enough votes so no one makes first team.
Plum is their scoring option, Uconn has many. And As good a player as Plum is she doesn't play the same top competition that Uconn plays. These Sports writers must take all this into consideration.

Reaction Score
She was for this game. But not consistent enough to be considered for that honor. I doubt she will even be an AA this year. Maybe if she averages 20+ PPG and 10+ RPG the rest of the season she might make 2nd team AA, but as of now, doubtful..

BTW she's 3rd on the team in scoring average at 13.1 PPG and has 8.6 RPG average. She leads the team in APG at about 5.4 and steals at about 2.8 per game, but still, not high enough IMHO. She struggled early in the season with fouls and had some low scoring output games..

I think that's nuts, for many reasons that have been discussed both in this context and earlier on this board. True enough, she has to continue to prove herself for the rest of the season, but no one can ignore her after what she did in this game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree, There is not a player i would rather have on my team especially at the end of a close game. There is not a more complete player in the country.
I don't disagree, but that's not what I said.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think that's nuts, for many reasons that have been discussed both in this context and earlier on this board. True enough, she has to continue to prove herself for the rest of the season, but no one can ignore her after what she did in this game.
You think what is nuts? That she won't likely be voted NPOY? 1st team AA? 2nd team AA?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO that would likely lead to a lot of debate and eventual redefining of these processes, so that they depend a lot less on quantifiable performance and a lot more on qualitative analysis of the player's productivity and value to a team.
I hate to break it to you, but as far as I can tell, qualitative analysis is far more important for NPOY awards than quantifiable performance. Last season, Stewie walked off with every NPOY award, and her top national quantitative ranking was blocked shots per game (7th). She also ranked 3rd in total blocked shots, which was attributable to the fact that Stewie played 38 total games.

Also worth pointing out is that Mo won all of the national awards for point guards as well as the DPOY award. Her top quantitative ranking was A/TO ratio (7th).

Frankly, I don't even know if voters look at a players stats, although I agree that it will be difficult to ignore Plum's scoring. I think voters get a sense of a player from what they hear and what they see, and right now it's Gabby and UConn's world.

As I said before, Gabby is a lock for AA with probably one other Husky and maybe two. As for NPOY, Gabby is breathing down Plum's neck.

Reaction Score
You think what is nuts? That she won't likely be voted NPOY? 1st team AA? 2nd team AA?
Certainly for AA and quite possibly for NPOY. It has been discussed several times before that the winners of those awards are NOT always the ones with the highest scoring totals and sometimes not even the most glowing stat sheets. Intangibles do count, especially if you lead a team into the tournament as #1.

Reaction Score
Here are the stats:

KLS - 20.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.4 SPG, 49% FG%, 81% FT%
Pheesa - 19.1 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 2.2 APG, 1.9 SPG, 67% FG%, 80% FT%
Gabby - 13.1 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 5.3 APG, 2.8 SPG, 56% FG%, 70% FT%

Gabby has some great numbers especially in assists and steals compared to Pheesa and KLS. I believe she's worthy of honors. I just don't see where the voters will reward her. This was just one game. She even admitted to Holly that she prides herself on defense and doesn't have as much confidence in offense. When she gets that, she will be on everyone's short list.

It depends if people recognize how special Gabby's non-scoring statistics are, especially the assist numbers. Breanna and Maya's best single season assist average was 4.0. Diana Taurasi's best single season assist average was also 5.3. She's on pace for a top 5 season in UConn history in assists, while playing the post position. She's also on pace for more steals than Moriah Jefferson's best season. Combine that with the visual impression she left in the most watched game of the entire regular season, and Gabby will be fine in the voters eyes.

Reaction Score
Plum is their scoring option, Uconn has many. And As good a player as Plum is she doesn't play the same top competition that Uconn plays. These Sports writers must take all this into consideration.

What I hear mentioned a lot from analysts is 'and she is doing this at 5'11" ' against bigger opponents, playing out of position (size wise) and playing equal to and dominating bigger opponents. 'Imagine if she was 6' whatever' It reminds me of the boxing phrase pound for pound so and so's the better fighter. :)

She might not win it but I think she will get considerable attention.

Reaction Score
There are so many games left to be played. And believe me, no one loves Gabby more than I do,

I don't think anybody is basing their opinion on popularity. The way the game is played changes over the years and Gabby might be a sign post to the women's game. That's why I think Bilas's comments could have some impact.

Reaction Score
I do now think Gabby has a strong shot at 1st team AA, alongside KLS.
Gabby got primo attention via Jay Bilas + her performance against SC (which got strong ratings). As a result, I think she will get the edge over Napheesa.

1st team AA (5 person) will probably be Plum, KLS, Gabby, and 2 others

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Answer this question...who is the MVP/MOP on the current UConn squad? Collier? Samuelson? Williams? You can make cases for all three, easily.

That makes the NPOY award difficult for Gabby (or Napheesa or Katie Lou) to win, because, in a way, each can be the team's MVP/MOP or all three could be co-MVPs/MOPs. It is difficult for an award like NPOY which picks the standout player in the sport when a team has three standout players.

Reaction Score
Can someone confirm that I understand this correctly?
The AA team and the POY are selected when the final four is determined. Therefore, play up to that point would be considered, but obviously, not play in the final four.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMHO Gabby is the best all around player in the country.

Well gang, here's the rub..........................who is selected the NPOY will be determined by voters that are not UConn fans like us. They will be looking through different colored glasses.
Their criteria will no doubt be different (and less biased) than ours. If the vote were left up to us, Gabby would win hands down. In all fairness, I can't say Gabby is the best all around player in the country, because I have not seen all of the other would-be candidates. But...........................If I had a vote, Gabby would get it!! I didn't need to see Monday's performance to make up my mind. That was done weeks ago. Gabby was a raw "not ready for prime time" talent when she arrived in Storrs. She admitted in an on-camera interview that she was not ready to play when she got here. Wow, look at her now, the product of great coaching!! :cool:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Topics like this, is player so and so NPOY, often come out after an impressive outing, and more so when it is on National TV. I think sometimes people need to take a step back and put things into perspective.
First let me say Gabby is absolutely fabulous and an incredibly gifted athlete and basketball player. I adore what she brings to UConn.
However, to judge a player on one "Exceptional Game" vs the whole, which is what the NPOY Award would be must be put into perspective.
Had this been the Baylor game, where Gabby had 14 points and "Zero" rebounds this discussion would never have taken place.

Here are the UConn players stats in the games vs ranked teams this season. There were 9 games and all but Chong played in all 9. Chong missed the tOSU game, so she played 8 games

Sorry if these dont allign on the page
Totals
Player pts --reb ---assists -- turnovers
Samuelson 150 --31 ----27 -----------20
Collier 175 ---68 ----13 ----------11
Williams 113 ---73 -----51 ---------27
Nurse 114 ---26 -----31 ---------19
Chong 63 ---23 ------29 ---------6

Averages per game
Player pts ----reb ---assists--turnovers
Samuelson----16.6---3.4--- 3.0---- 2.22
Collier --------19.4---- 7.5----1.4---- 1.2
Williams -----12.5---- 8.1 ----5.6---- 3.0
Nurse ---------12.6---- 2.8 ---- 3.4---- 2.1
Chong ---------7.8---- 3.8 ---- 3.6 ---0.75

IMO, Plum will wind up as the NPOY.

Lets hope UConn gets the spoils with their 12 NCAA banner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not buying this for a second. She brings it every game. She kills it in the big games. So for a few games against the backmarkers she let's others fill the score sheet? That's a feature, not a bug.
Well I'm not selling it. And not going to argue with you, but averaging 13 PPG is not consistent compared to 26 PPG. People are pointing to her 26 point explosion as if that's what she's done all year. She has not.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well I'm not selling it. And not going to argue with you, but averaging 13 PPG is not consistent compared to 26 PPG. People are pointing to her 26 point explosion as if that's what she's done all year. She has not.

What Eric said is correct.
In the 9 games vs the ranked teams I mentioned Gabby had these scoring numbers
FSU - 7
Baylor - 14
Texas - 11
Notre Dame - 19
OSU - 7
Maryland - 16
S. Car. - 26
DePaul - 2
USF - 11

By the way, Plum has faced 5 ranked teams this year and has scored 22, 22, 39, 34, and 44

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Topics like this, is player so and so NPOY, often come out after an impressive outing, and more so when it is on National TV. I think sometimes people need to take a step back and put things into perspective.
First let me say Gabby is absolutely fabulous and an incredibly gifted athlete and basketball player. I adore what she brings to UConn.
However, to judge a player on one "Exceptional Game" vs the whole, which is what the NPOY Award would be must be put into perspective.
Had this been the Baylor game, where Gabby had 14 points and "Zero" rebounds this discussion would never have taken place.

Here are the UConn players stats in the games vs ranked teams this season. There were 9 games and all but Chong played in all 9. Chong missed the tOSU game, so she played 8 games

Sorry if these dont allign on the page
Totals
Player pts --reb ---assists -- turnovers
Samuelson 150 --31 ----27 -----------20
Collier 175 ---68 ----13 ----------11
Williams 113 ---73 -----51 ---------27
Nurse 114 ---26 -----31 ---------19
Chong 63 ---23 ------29 ---------6

Averages per game
Player pts ----reb ---assists--turnovers
Samuelson----16.6---3.4--- 3.0---- 2.22
Collier --------19.4---- 7.5----1.4---- 1.2
Williams -----12.5---- 8.1 ----5.6---- 3.0
Nurse ---------12.6---- 2.8 ---- 3.4---- 2.1
Chong ---------7.8---- 3.8 ---- 3.6 ---0.75

IMO, Plum will wind up as the NPOY.

Lets hope UConn gets the spoils with their 12 NCAA banner.

Hmmm...Gabby DPOY A Lock! DPOY'S are 1st Team AA's...

Baylor game...if memory serves they were quite a tall, long team and outrebounded us handily as the Baylor team crashed the boards...

As for Gabby I recall her doing a tremendous job of boxing out multiple players at a time w/o much help from the rest of the team.

I have heard Geno in the years past recognize players for boxing out efforts and lament them not getting supported by teamates.

I would need to rewatch game to see if that was the case.

Improved defensive stats are needed to capture Gabbys impact on the floor...deflections, stops, denials, switches, disruptions to offensive flow...may better describe her...1x1 she can cover and stop everyone except the quickest ballhandlers...

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
What Eric said is correct.
In the 9 games vs the ranked teams I mentioned Gabby had these scoring numbers
FSU - 7
Baylor - 14
Texas - 11
Notre Dame - 19
OSU - 7
Maryland - 16
S. Car. - 26
DePaul - 2
USF - 11

By the way, Plum has faced 5 ranked teams this year and has scored 22, 22, 39, 34, and 44[/QUOTE

Inside the numbers....

Top 5 ranked teams?

What does Morgan Valley think of Plum? Stoppable Unstoppable?

Question, if Plum plays Uconn and Gabby guards her does she still get 20pts?

Will Plum make a WNBA roster?

Did other teams defend away from her figuring stop the rest of the team ala Jacki Stiles teams...and win the game...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks a latte, OC! I appreciate you doing the stats crunching.

To the other BY'ers - I'm NOT saying Gabby is undeserving. Hell, I'd put KLS and Pheesa on the 1st team and Gabby on the 2nd team in a heartbeat, and all 3 of them should be ahead of Wilson (for example).

But... I'm not only a fan who has seen her play every single game (so I KNOW her worth), I'm also looking at her thru UCONN colored glasses, no matter how objective I try to be. Gabby has tremendous stats across the board for a forward, EXCEPT for scoring which has been inconsistent. That's simply a fact. Now people can argue intangibles, or whatever, all they want - I'm on board - I would vote Gabby as an AA. I just don't think the voters will UNLESS she goes on a tear and averages at least 20-25 PPG the rest of the season.

A lot of the voting IMHO is reputation, politics, inertia, etc etc. Wilson is a "cachet" name. People assume she's great because she's physically gifted, and so everyone just assumes she's deserving. Her numbers do not make her deserving, though. On a 10 player team she should not be on it (or barely make 2nd team). As a post player, her stats aren't close to Anigwe (Cal), Jones (Maryland), Coffey (Northwestern) or Collier (UCONN) just off the top of my head, but voters don't necessarily use logic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom