Gabby NPOY ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby NPOY ?

Reaction Score
Can someone confirm that I understand this correctly?
The AA team and the POY are selected when the final four is determined. Therefore, play up to that point would be considered, but obviously, not play in the final four.

No. Vote takes place after regular season before ncaas. Not announced until final 4.

Reaction Score
She was for this game. But not consistent enough to be considered for that honor. I doubt she will even be an AA this year. Maybe if she averages 20+ PPG and 10+ RPG the rest of the season she might make 2nd team AA, but as of now, doubtful..

BTW she's 3rd on the team in scoring average at 13.1 PPG and has 8.6 RPG average. She leads the team in APG at about 5.4 and steals at about 2.8 per game, but still, not high enough IMHO. She struggled early in the season with fouls and had some low scoring output games..
I think you're wrong, it's not about stats with her. When you watch these games against top teams pitted against each other it becomes pretty clear early on she is better than anyone else on the court. Uconn is undefeated, riding a 100+ game win streak and they wouldn't he without her. When casual fans like myself and someone as seriously respected as Jay Bilas says she is the most complete player (man or woman) in the country it means people are taking notice. You can also tell by the way Auriemma marvels at her, he knows she is the best on the team and more than likely the whole country.

Reaction Score
Lou was not on the floor in the last game but UConn pulled it off.:p

Can you say that in the Maryland game? If she was not in ND game mark that a loss too. Get real.

Reaction Score
Thanks a latte, OC! I appreciate you doing the stats crunching.

To the other BY'ers - I'm NOT saying Gabby is undeserving. Hell, I'd put KLS and Pheesa on the 1st team and Gabby on the 2nd team in a heartbeat, and all 3 of them should be ahead of Wilson (for example).

But.. I'm not only a fan who has seen her play every single game (so I KNOW her worth), I'm also looking at her thru UCONN colored glasses, no matter how objective I try to be. Gabby has tremendous stats across the board for a forward, EXCEPT for scoring which has been inconsistent. That's simply a fact. Now people can argue intangibles, or whatever, all they want - I'm on board - I would vote Gabby as an AA. I just don't think the voters will UNLESS she goes on a tear and averages at least 20-25 PPG the rest of the season.

A lot of the voting IMHO is reputation, politics, inertia, etc etc. Wilson is a "cachet" name. People assume she's great because she's physically gifted, and so everyone just assumes she's deserving. Her numbers do not make her deserving, though. On a 10 player team she should not be on it (or barely make 2nd team). As a post player, her stats aren't close to Anigwe (Cal), Jones (Maryland), Coffey (Northwestern) or Collier (UCONN) just off the top of my head, but voters don't necessarily use logic.

Other then scoring more points and taking more shots per game, what makes Lou and Pheesa so much better/ deserving of 1st team vs Gabby? people often say Gabby gets her numbers because other teams have to guard Lou and Pheesa, but as Dawn said you have to know where Gabby is at all times on the floor. Yes Lou and Pheesa are big time scorers and can put up scoring numbers Williams can't, but if you look at her over all stats it's no way you can say she's inconstant.

Reaction Score
I don't see Gabby winning it, though she is definitely the POY for UCOnn. The straw that stirs the drink, as Reggie Jackson used to say.

Reaction Score
If I was a WNBA manager and I could choose any college player, I would pick Gabby.

She has so much room for improvement and the desire to be her best. By the time Gabby is in her 2nd WNBA season, I think she will an all-star.

The adjectives Geno has used when talking about Gabby are worthy of a NPOY. He doesn't speak about Napheesa or Lou like that. He says Napheesa can do anything OFFENSIVELY or Lou got an offensive rebound. I don't remember him using any caveats or sarcasm when Gabbys game this year.

Reaction Score
Gabby has a very good shot at the 10-player AA squads. Like CCreme says with polls, there isn't a lot of movement expected with these things for the rest of the year. At the margin, yes; big overall shifts in voter sentiment, no. She hasn't just played "well" in the big ticket games - she's shown out in those games, big time. Voices like Bilas's will not be ignored by the AA committees.

Having Gabby on the wall would be an amazing testament to what she does, even more to how she does it.

Even rarer than Geno "hugs" are the times when Geno says things like, ". . . I don't know which was bigger, her rebounding or her heart."
While i don't believe Gabby will first Team AA this year--I more than like of praise you use towards her---you, me and all Uconn fans know how exceptional Gabby is and the efforts she put forth in big games--Geno is right about the HEART--she could not do what she does without it. It would be nice if Geno, if necessary, had to create a new category for the wall of honor..

Reaction Score
Topics like this, is player so and so NPOY, often come out after an impressive outing, and more so when it is on National TV. I think sometimes people need to take a step back and put things into perspective.
First let me say Gabby is absolutely fabulous and an incredibly gifted athlete and basketball player. I adore what she brings to UConn.
However, to judge a player on one "Exceptional Game" vs the whole, which is what the NPOY Award would be must be put into perspective.
Had this been the Baylor game, where Gabby had 14 points and "Zero" rebounds this discussion would never have taken place.

Here are the UConn players stats in the games vs ranked teams this season. There were 9 games and all but Chong played in all 9. Chong missed the tOSU game, so she played 8 games

Sorry if these dont allign on the page
Totals
Player pts --reb ---assists -- turnovers
Samuelson 150 --31 ----27 -----------20
Collier 175 ---68 ----13 ----------11
Williams 113 ---73 -----51 ---------27
Nurse 114 ---26 -----31 ---------19
Chong 63 ---23 ------29 ---------6

Averages per game
Player pts ----reb ---assists--turnovers
Samuelson----16.6---3.4--- 3.0---- 2.22
Collier --------19.4---- 7.5----1.4---- 1.2
Williams -----12.5---- 8.1 ----5.6---- 3.0
Nurse ---------12.6---- 2.8 ---- 3.4---- 2.1
Chong ---------7.8---- 3.8 ---- 3.6 ---0.75

IMO, Plum will wind up as the NPOY.

Lets hope UConn gets the spoils with their 12 NCAA banner.
I would think the more comprehensive metric; Pts + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks - Turnovers, would paint a more complete story. Most coaches and writers who vote know that even these metrics don't tell the whole story with Gabby Williams. At the moment she is in a league of her own.

As one poster previously and correctly pointed out, the PoY often does not have the most impressive numbers. Breanna Stewart is the latest example. Coaches and writers across America know that if Gabby (and Napheesa) played more minutes, their already impressive numbers would be staggering.

Gabby is the de facto PoY. No one changes games like she does. Using a complete set of metrics, no one, at the level UConn plays, has the overall impact on a game that she has. On the same court as UConn in a game, players like Plum, Wilson, Mitchell and most of the rest of them would be hard pressed to show as the 3rd or 4rth best player on the court. Both Gabby and Napheesa are All Americas based on their body of work, impact on their games, and UConn's overall success. At this point, PoY is Gabby's to lose.

Lou gets second team AA. While she is the most versatile and prolific scorer on the team, the other areas of her game have not yet been developed to the extent Gabby's and Pheesa's have.

Reaction Score
My awards predictions (predictions, NOT my personal choices):

WBCA AA: KLS

Next year:
WBCA AA: KLS, Z, Pheesa or Gabby
DPOY: Gabby

Gabby needs this season for recognition, getting on pre-season AA lists for next year. AND to perform at Monday night's outrageous level consistently all year.

Reaction Score
It's Kelsey Plum.
Not sure this.
If you put Gabby in Washington and Kelsey in UConn, do you think Gabby can score much more points than Kelsey? Answer is definitely yes. But Kelsey cannot get as many rebs, asts and blocks as Gabby.

Geno's system will not let a single player scoring 30 or 40+ points. Basketball is a team work, not a single person's show.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
IMHO Gabby is the best all around player in the country.

"Gabby Williams is an actual superhero who can leap tall women in a single bound."

100: The Winning Streak That Shouldn’t Have Happened
Meghan Bard
100: The Winning Steak That Shouldn't Have Happened

Quantitatively (statistically) Collier is better, however, including qualitative intangibles Williams is the best player. Collier is the 2nd best . They are the 1st and 2nd best UCONN and national players.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure this.
If you put Gabby in Washington and Kelsey in UConn, do you think Gabby can score much more points than Kelsey? Answer is definitely yes. But Kelsey cannot get as many rebs, asts and blocks as Gabby.

Geno's system will not let a single player scoring 30 or 40+ points. Basketball is a team work, not a single person's show.

I dont think Gabby would score more points on Washington than Kelsey Plum. She would have to make up 500 points right now to pass her. Gabby would have to make up 400 points to catch Osahor.

Here are Gabby's stats along with Plum and Osahors. These are for the full season, to date.

Gabby
327 points
13.1 ppg
1 three point basket
215 rebounds
8.6 rpg
133 assists
70 turn overs

Plum
823 points
30.5 ppg
90 three point baskets
140 rebounds
5.2 rpg
136 assists
66 turnovers

Osahor
727 points
15.6 ppg
36 three point baskets
394 rebounds - leads the nation
15.2 rpg
106 assists
59 turnovers.

I still love Gabby but Plums overall numbers are hands down better. Plums worst scoring game is 22 this season.

Reaction Score
My two cents ...
Great responses. I'm biased and think Gabby, on the biggest and most analyzed stage, has had the most impact in the biggest games this season. Kelsey Plum is a great scorer and Senior. This reminds me of Kemba Walker vs Jimmer Fredette for NPOY in the men's game. Most "experts" thought Kemba was the reason UCONN went on to win the NCAA championship and had a better all around game but Jimmer was named NPOY. Walker is a NBA star and Fredette is playing in Wherever. Thing is Kemba wouldn't have traded his team championship for NPOY and neither would Gabby. We know who the best player is and so does Gabby.

Reaction Score
I dont think Gabby would score more points on Washington than Kelsey Plum. She would have to make up 500 points right now to pass her. Gabby would have to make up 400 points to catch Osahor.

I still love Gabby but Plums overall numbers are hands down better. Plums worst scoring game is 22 this season.
I mean Gabby would score more points on Washington than Kelsey Plum on Uconn ...

We cannot compare Gabby in UConn to Kelsey in Washington because different system , schedules and opponents.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would love to Gabby as NPOY but that is not going to happen. Plum will probably take it in a walk off.

As to AA, Gabby should be on one of the 10 member squads. Her all a round game is superior to many others. She is certainly better than Turner of ND and Coates of SC. Show me another post/ forward who has Gabby's stats and complete game.

I think our two first team AA's this year will be Gabby and Lou.
I think you nailed this assessment!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What Eric said is correct.
In the 9 games vs the ranked teams I mentioned Gabby had these scoring numbers
FSU - 7
Baylor - 14
Texas - 11
Notre Dame - 19
OSU - 7
Maryland - 16
S. Car. - 26
DePaul - 2
USF - 11

By the way, Plum has faced 5 ranked teams this year and has scored 22, 22, 39, 34, and 44
Now correlate Gabby's ppg to winning margin. It would seem she scores more in the closer games. Perhaps she should score less so UConn can win by more.

This focus on ppg when it comes to NPOY is nonsense. Who thinks Odyssey Sims was better than Stewie?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure this.
If you put Gabby in Washington and Kelsey in UConn, do you think Gabby can score much more points than Kelsey? Answer is definitely yes.

But let's not get carried away. Gabby is not yet the knockdown jump shooter that puts up high point totals. Then again, that's not her game.

Reaction Score
IMHO Gabby is the best all around player in the country.
I really love how Gabby has evolved since the end of last season. She obviously always had great athletic ability but her skill level has really shot off the charts. She has almost completely eliminated all the weaknesses in her game, shooting being one of the most glaring, and she doesn't ever seem to slow down at any point in the game. I still think that with many people on the Boneyard, the next thing I'm prepared to hear them say is "Breanna WHO?" and coronate her at the GOAT! She's playing great and I love her impact on this team but come on!!!!! Some of the superlatives being thrown out are a bit much. She had little impact her first year and though we saw good improvements and more minutes from her last year, she seldom was the player anyone was talking about except for maybe a rare moment when her amazing athleticism WOWED us. Now to hear talk of her, you'd think she was a combination of Maya and a few other of our greatest players. She deserves recognition (LOTS) but the reason she can capture our attention and be so effective is that there's KLS and Napheesa and others drawing attention because of their high skill levels. I think we ought to SLOW DOWN the Gabby train just a bit though I'm really amazed at the work she's done on her game to be playing the way she is right now. I guess all I'm saying is "be real" and hold off on the anointment, for now.

Reaction Score
Plum is their scoring option, Uconn has many. And As good a player as Plum is she doesn't play the same top competition that Uconn plays. These Sports writers must take all this into consideration.
Gabby has taken over a couple of key games this year but hasn't Napheesa done so, as well? Hasn't KLS been the dagger in a couple key wins for this team? There is a dispute by more than a few people as to who is the best player on THIS TEAM and yet, you think she should be THE player of the YEAR over everyone, including players on teams who you probably haven't even seen play. I get that you like her and she's been playing amazingly. She's a much more athletic version of Kelly Faris who so many people here loved for her high energy and her well rounded game, so what's not to love but as has been mentioned, she's had great teammates who have drawn attention from defenders that have allowed Gabby to do some of the things she has done. How can you key on Gabby when you have Napheesa and KLS and Kia and a much more confident Saniya, along with a very skilled though still evolving Crystal. Who do you think is the focus of defenses when Washington is playing, besides Plum??? I think she probably has some adequate teammates but who would you focus on as the coach of an opposing team???? How can you strictly focus on Gabby when there's so much other talent on this team????

Reaction Score
I really love how Gabby has evolved since the end of last season. She obviously always had great athletic ability but her skill level has really shot off the charts. She has almost completely eliminated all the weaknesses in her game, shooting being one of the most glaring, and she doesn't ever seem to slow down at any point in the game. I still think that with many people on the Boneyard, the next thing I'm prepared to hear them say is "Breanna WHO?" and coronate her at the GOAT! She's playing great and I love her impact on this team but come on!!!!! Some of the superlatives being thrown out are a bit much. She had little impact her first year and though we saw good improvements and more minutes from her last year, she seldom was the player anyone was talking about except for maybe a rare moment when her amazing athleticism WOWED us. Now to hear talk of her, you'd think she was a combination of Maya and a few other of our greatest players. She deserves recognition (LOTS) but the reason she can capture our attention and be so effective is that there's KLS and Napheesa and others drawing attention because of their high skill levels. I think we ought to SLOW DOWN the Gabby train just a bit though I'm really amazed at the work she's done on her game to be playing the way she is right now. I guess all I'm saying is "be real" and hold off on the anointment, for now.
The Gabby Train is leaving the station! Better jump on board now. Chooooooo choooooooo!

Reaction Score
Buzzyboy, I have seen Kelsey Plum play. She is an elite talent. However, when you have a 5'11" post player who outperforms not one but two Twin Towers in every facet of the game, and who has on occasion been called on to cover the other teams best guard, then you have the NPOY. Gabby does it all in every category. Kelsey is no match for Gabby on the defensive end. She doesn't have that skill level. Before you mention offensive skill, remember Gabby leads UConn in assists. She also knows how to set a screen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom