Gabby NPOY ? | The Boneyard

Gabby NPOY ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She was for this game. But not consistent enough to be considered for that honor. I doubt she will even be an AA this year. Maybe if she averages 20+ PPG and 10+ RPG the rest of the season she might make 2nd team AA, but as of now, doubtful...

BTW she's 3rd on the team in scoring average at 13.1 PPG and has 8.6 RPG average. She leads the team in APG at about 5.4 and steals at about 2.8 per game, but still, not high enough IMHO. She struggled early in the season with fouls and had some low scoring output games...

Reaction Score
She was for this game. But not consistent enough to be considered for that honor. I doubt she will even be an AA this year. Maybe if she averages 20+ PPG and 10+ RPG the rest of the season she might make 2nd team AA, but as of now, doubtful..

BTW she's 3rd on the team in scoring average at 13.1 PPG and has 8.6 RPG average. She leads the team in APG at about 5.4 and steals at about 2.8 per game, but still, not high enough IMHO. She struggled early in the season with fouls and had some low scoring output games..

Wow! Without Gabby Williams UConn doesn't go undefeated and isn't in a position to win the National Championship. Other than Napheesa this is not true about any other WCBB player in America. Both Gabby and Napheesa deserve first team all America, and I fully expect that both will achieve it. The consensus favorites for PoY were probably Plum and Wilson. After the last game the choice between Gabby and Wilson is clear. IMO if you put Plum on the same court as UConn, she, too, would look like 2nd, 3rd, or even 4rth best player on the court. Gabby is the best player in Women's College Basketball. She deserves PoY.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow! Without Gabby Williams UConn doesn't go undefeated and isn't in a position to win the National Championship. Other than Napheesa this is not true about any other WCBB player in America. Both Gabby and Napheesa deserve first team all America, and I fully expect that both will achieve it. The consensus favorites for PoY were probably Plum and Wilson. After the last game the choice between Gabby and Wilson is clear. IMO if you put Plum on the same court as UConn, she, too, would look like 2nd, 3rd, or even 4rth best player on the court. Gabby is the best player in Women's College Basketball. She deserves PoY.
Wilson isn't a favorite for any post season "awards" this year. She's somewhere in the mix for 2nd team AA. As for Gabby, she had a great game. She's often the best player on the floor, but she's been too inconsistent. If you expect Gabby to be 1st team AA this year, my bet is you will be disappointed. I do believe KLS and Napheesa are worthy of 1st team AA honors. And I love Gabby, but she's not deserving of 1st team AA as of today. Average 25 PPG the rest of the season and thru the AAC tourney and maybe that will change.

Reaction Score
Wow! Without Gabby Williams UConn doesn't go undefeated and isn't in a position to win the National Championship. Other than Napheesa this is not true about any other WCBB player in America.
Hardly. I would say the same of at least Lou and Kia. You're telling me if you take any of those 4 off this team that they are still undefeated ? I don't buy that for one second.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is getting a lot of serious press, and she has been absolutely phenomenal in the two most hyped games of the year (ND and this one) so ... I think she is getting some votes for NPOY but she probably loses out to a senior like Plum who will likely break the scoring record close to when the voting happens. As for AA, she has a pretty good chance for that, but UConn's triumvirate may split enough votes so no one makes first team.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
.... As for Gabby, she had a great game. She's often the best player on the floor, but she's been too inconsistent. If you expect Gabby to be 1st team AA this year, my bet is you will be disappointed. I do believe KLS and Napheesa are worthy of 1st team AA honors. And I love Gabby, but she's not deserving of 1st team AA as of today. Average 25 PPG the rest of the season and thru the AAC tourney and maybe that will change.

So you're saying 'intangibles' mean zilch when it comes to national accolades. That, sadly, is accurate.

For me, at least, Gabby is AA, regardless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hardly. I would say the same of at least Lou and Kia. You're telling me if you take any of those 4 off this team that they are still undefeated ? I don't buy that for one second.
Lou was not on the floor in the last game but UConn pulled it off.:p

Reaction Score
Who else will fit the NPOY profile? If she's not then they're all blind.

She definitely fits the profile. She guards players 2 - 5 and in most games, gives up size and strength. Her will to win along with her hustle and athletic ability neutralizes the height difference. She was the difference in a few games this year with her post defense (ND, Baylor and South Carolina comes to mind). She has my vote as the best defensive player in the country. If her offense catches up with her defense, she will be the best PLAYER in the country.

Reaction Score
She is getting a lot of serious press, and she has been absolutely phenomenal in the two most hyped games of the year (ND and this one) so .. I think she is getting some votes for NPOY but she probably loses out to a senior like Plum who will likely break the scoring record close to when the voting happens. As for AA, she has a pretty good chance for that, but UConn's triumvirate may split enough votes so no one makes first team.
Love Gabby. Her performance has been dependent upon match ups. If you go back to her games with lesser stats, its been against weaker teams without a true center - ones who put a smaller, quicker player to guard her. Personal opinion - lets table the All American and Player of the Year talk until after the NCAA's. There is a reason Lou and Napheesa are getting the special treatment so not unusual for their stats to suffer in some games and Gabby's to go up. Lets just be thankful we are in current position where if one of the starters is targeted others pick up the pace.

Reaction Score
She was for this game. But not consistent enough to be considered for that honor. I doubt she will even be an AA this year. Maybe if she averages 20+ PPG and 10+ RPG the rest of the season she might make 2nd team AA, but as of now, doubtful..

BTW she's 3rd on the team in scoring average at 13.1 PPG and has 8.6 RPG average. She leads the team in APG at about 5.4 and steals at about 2.8 per game, but still, not high enough IMHO. She struggled early in the season with fouls and had some low scoring output games..

You bring up good points Eric about the stat portion for Gabby. However, what can help her on the NPOY push are the endorsement(s) from respected people like Jay Bilas and big game play against the likes of ND, Baylor and MD. At least it can't hurt ;)

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
For my part (which is, no doubt, a seriously minor part), such recognition is simply irrelevant. Press coverage and public accolades are fitful, seasonal, and rely on too many factors of little importance. And although I'm suspicious of speculation, I'd bet that Gabby herself knows that her self-evaluation and that of her team and coaches are the only judgments that really matter.
This is the type of topic that tends to generate lots of heat and traffic on sports boards, but while it's entertaining and kind of "sound and fury," I just can't take it or what the outcome is too seriously.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After Monday night's game, Gabby is a lock for AA. Plum still has the edge for NPOY, but Gabby is now right behind her and it's possible that the two players might well split the various NPOY awards.

Gabby has 3 distinct advantages over Plum. She is the best player on the best team in the country. Absent some catastrophic event, the Huskies will be 32-0, #1 in the nation when everyone votes for AA & NPOY.

Gabby's 2nd advantage is the tremendous media buzz that has exploded about her all-around game & athleticism. The proximity of ESPN to Storrs is a tremendous advantage. Most of ESPN's WBB analysts have been to a UConn practice. They know Geno & Gabby and they are beating her drum loudly. ESPN's support has even filtered over to the men's side, were Jay Bilas has been an unabashed supporter, with others like Seth Greenberg jumping on the bandwagon.

Gabby's final advantage over Plum, is that Plum plays on the west coast. Unless you happen to have the Pac12 network, you probably haven't seen her play, whereas Gabby has been on national tv a half dozen times or more, and she's had some monster games.

I also think that in addition to Gabby, UConn will have at least 1 other AA, and possibly 2. At this point in time, it's hard to say whether that 2nd AA will be Lou or Pheesa.

Reaction Score
I will add Chong in the list too. This should be true for all starting five.
Do you think without Chong we still can be undefeated?

Reaction Score
Plum will probably win NPOY and I don't have an issue with that. Plum carried her team to a Final Four and has been incredibly efficient with her scoring exploits this season. The South Carolina game should have cemented Gabby's status as an All-American at least on the 10 person teams., which I was feeling less confident about before that game. In the two biggest games of the year that all the national media tuned into Gabby was the player of the game. They watched her out play Breanna Turner, Coates, and Wilson. South Carolina was the last UConn game many of them will pay attention to until the NCAA tournament this was the lasting impression. They way Geno, Jay Bilas, and others have sung her praises certainly helps as well. And anecdotal things like when they showed that Gabby is the only player in college basketball with her combination of rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. All-American and National Defensive Player of the Year would be quite the year and more than Gabby or the coaches could have reasonably expected to start the season.

Reaction Score

Hmm I don't know.....when you have people like Jay Bilas and Kara Lawson leading the way in extolling the uniqueness of a Gabby Williams it could sway enough voters. Something could happen like in baseball where voters did not look at traditional stats and you had a result one year where the winner of the Cy Young award had .500 winning percentage.

I think Collier is also a strong candidate for NPOY.

Reaction Score
After Monday night's game, Gabby is a lock for AA. Plum still has the edge for NPOY, but Gabby is now right behind her and it's possible that the two players might well split the various NPOY awards.

Gabby has 3 distinct advantages over Plum. She is the best player on the best team in the country. Absent some catastrophic event, the Huskies will be 32-0, #1 in the nation when everyone votes for AA & NPOY.

Gabby's 2nd advantage is the tremendous media buzz that has exploded about her all-around game & athleticism. The proximity of ESPN to Storrs is a tremendous advantage. Most of ESPN's WBB analysts have been to a UConn practice. They know Geno & Gabby and they are beating her drum loudly. ESPN's support has even filtered over to the men's side, were Jay Bilas has been an unabashed supporter, with others like Seth Greenberg jumping on the bandwagon.

Gabby's final advantage over Plum, is that Plum plays on the west coast. Unless you happen to have the Pac12 network, you probably haven't seen her play, whereas Gabby has been on national tv a half dozen times or more, and she's had some monster games.

I also think that in addition to Gabby, UConn will have at least 1 other AA, and possibly 2. At this point in time, it's hard to say whether that 2nd AA will be Lou or Pheesa.
Plum is a good player but if you compare the overall performance she is not so impressed. In the game Washington lost to Stamford, Plum has 44 of the 68 pts. But she has only 6 rebs and 2 asts and 3 TOs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Plum will probably win NPOY and I don't have an issue with that. Plum carried her team to a Final Four and has been incredibly efficient with her scoring exploits this season. The South Carolina game should have cemented Gabby's status as an All-American at least on the 10 person teams., which I was feeling less confident about before that game. In the two biggest games of the year that all the national media tuned into Gabby was the player of the game. They watched her out play Breanna Turner, Coates, and Wilson. South Carolina was the last UConn game many of them will pay attention to until the NCAA tournament this was the lasting impression. They way Geno, Jay Bilas, and others have sung her praises certainly helps as well. And anecdotal things like when they showed that Gabby is the only player in college basketball with her combination of rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. All-American and National Defensive Player of the Year would be quite the year and more than Gabby or the coaches could have reasonably expected to start the season.
Ding, ding, ding. As I said in another thread, I think the S. Carolina game might have cemented her place in the Husky WoH. But probably through the USBWA or WBCA AA teams. Don't think she makes the AP 1st team though.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Gabby has a very good shot at the 10-player AA squads. Like CCreme says with polls, there isn't a lot of movement expected with these things for the rest of the year. At the margin, yes; big overall shifts in voter sentiment, no. She hasn't just played "well" in the big ticket games - she's shown out in those games, big time. Voices like Bilas's will not be ignored by the AA committees.

Having Gabby on the wall would be an amazing testament to what she does, even more to how she does it.

Even rarer than Geno "hugs" are the times when Geno says things like, ". . . I don't know which was bigger, her rebounding or her heart."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are so many games left to be played. And believe me, no one loves Gabby more than I do, but day in and day out, KLS and Napheesa outperform her statistically in offensive production. To announce that she's a lock for AA honors after one game is ... I want to be kind... crazy. AA honors are not given to players who have one great game against a very good team. Now... if Gabby did that every single game this season, she'd be a lock for 1st team AA and in the debate for NPOY. But she has not...

I think it's likely that UCONN gets 1 player on the 1st team and 1 player on the 2nd team. If you think that KLS or Napheesa should be bumped to make room for Gabby, that's certainly an option. But if you look in total at the stats across the board for those 3 compared to other top players in WCBB, Gabby's numbers just don't justify it. This is just my opinion. If she averages close to 25 PPG the rest of the season and bumps her average closer to 16 PPG, then maybe one could make the case.

As to the poster who asked about the intangibles, Dee had them which is why she was 1st team AA and NPOY by some people even tho she averaged about the same as Gabby - 13-14 PPG. If you think Gabby is on the same level as Dee, Maya and Stewie, I would have to disagree.

Here are the stats:

KLS - 20.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.4 SPG, 49% FG%, 81% FT%
Pheesa - 19.1 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 2.2 APG, 1.9 SPG, 67% FG%, 80% FT%
Gabby - 13.1 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 5.3 APG, 2.8 SPG, 56% FG%, 70% FT%

Gabby has some great numbers especially in assists and steals compared to Pheesa and KLS. I believe she's worthy of honors. I just don't see where the voters will reward her. This was just one game. She even admitted to Holly that she prides herself on defense and doesn't have as much confidence in offense. When she gets that, she will be on everyone's short list.

Reaction Score

I believe Eric is correct!! We Uconn fans can make her OUR NPOY---I have to agree that Plum and those other "scorers" don't really qualify for PLAYER of the YEAR----Wilson, I haven't watched enough of her to make the NPOY assessment--but the little I did see--she does not measure up to 2 or 3 of Uconn starters. But I am biased.
AA's for both Gabby and Napheesa probably won't happen this year--One maybe .
Is Gabby worth a bucket of gold--you bet!! Is she a Uconn Fan favorite--certainly--NPOY--unfortunately probably not..

Reaction Score

I disagree, There is not a player i would rather have on my team especially at the end of a close game. There is not a more complete player in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom