Future Nonconference Opponents | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Future Nonconference Opponents

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The dude coached 26 years, inherited a Yankee Conference caliber team plus Cliff,
JC inherited 2 NBA players, including a first round draft pick. No such luck for Hurley.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The dude coached 26 years, inherited a Yankee Conference caliber team plus Cliff, playing in the Big East conference at its prime - so you are comparing that to when Hurley walked in the door - 4 years removed from a National Championship and 4 NC’s in 20 years?
Danny has Gampel and a relatively new practice facility while Jimmy had the Field House and Guyer gym.

You are shying away my friend from the last nearly 2 decades he coached. let’s not go backwards 25 years as you seem to be implying we do. Let’s built on what Jimmy built.
No "build from nothing" job surpasses that of Jim Calhoun's. Ever. Not relevant to raise that in this thread. I'm hopeful that you are not too dumb to think (or think I think) otherwise, but I thought it would help to mention it just in case.

I slowly walked you through your prior argument and exposed it as a sham. The easiest thing for me to do is not dispute anything you wrote about JC and assert that your post above simply strengthens my previous one.

Just like @freescooter's post below yours, you are projecting out from a single COVID-affected season, as though it is evidence of a troublesome pattern. Your sample size and its particulars are a farce.

You could conceivably prove out to be right in the years ahead, but at this point you have neither the honesty, sanity, or goods enough to be taken seriously or believed. I do not care which of those 3 applies to either you or Free, but I do think that criticism of you and him as 'bad energy' trolls in this case probably reflects on you best, because it just slurs you as an intentional jerk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JC inherited 2 NBA players, including a first round draft pick. No such luck for Hurley.
Who was the other one besides Cliff?
It’s amazing how some here minimize what Jim Calhoun accomplished.

Reaction Score
OK, back to the topic !
I think we need to make sure we maintain traditional rivalries.
That means the “fruit” up there in the far Arctic for a home and home.
Plus, I can hear the cringes now, BC !

Reaction Score
Yeah. That’s why they had such a great season. Oh wait. They were 9-19; 3-13. Tate was a freshman, so Calhoun likely recruited him. Clif was a sophomore who had definite potential but wasn’t exactly in any danger of leaving early to go to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s not true. You never engage with the fact that the Big East has consistently been ranked between the second and 5th best college basketball conference.

it’s not like UConn is choosing to not be in the ACC or Big 10. The choice is between the Big East and the AAC and the correct choice is clear.

get your facts and come back and see me.

you idiot, you absolute fool.
I look at results, not computer programs. And based on results, one team greatly increases the New Big East’s stature. Villanova. They have won or shared every New Big East Regular season title, mostly winning outright. They have played in the New Big East tournament final 5 out of 7 years. For all the bids this “power“ league gets, other than Villanova, exactly 2 teams played past the first weekend. Until this year and Creighton it was 1. Is it better than the AAC? Probably marginally. Better at the top, Villanova, and fewer bottom feeders, but then again, DePaul can hold its own with any awful team in the country. Seton Hall, Providence, St Johns and the rest are mid level programs with limited potential.

Reaction Score
I look at results, not computer programs. And based on results, one team greatly increases the New Big East’s stature. Villanova. They have won or shared every New Big East Regular season title, mostly winning outright. They have played in the New Big East tournament final 5 out of 7 years. For all the bids this “power“ league gets, other than Villanova, exactly 2 teams played past the first weekend. Until this year and Creighton it was 1. Is it better than the AAC? Probably marginally. Better at the top, Villanova, and fewer bottom feeders, but then again, DePaul can hold its own with any awful team in the country. Seton Hall, Providence, St Johns and the rest are mid level programs with limited potential.
How is it that you can be 2 distinctly different posters between the Football and MBB Boards?

Reaction Score
My understanding is most of those games were part of a CBS national schedule where we would get a few high profile OOC games through our tv contracts with the BE.
I think those games did a lot for the program. Playing "big name" OOC opponents later in the year with national TV coverage on the weekend provided a lot of exposure for the program across the country, brought a lot of excitement for the fan base, and got national recruits to take us seriously. It also prepped the team for the tournaments ahead by playing in front of big, rabid, sometime unfriendly crowds. Win or lose, the program benefitted from playing those games. As our profile rises again, I hope we will be able to schedule similar kinds of games with the same kind of media focus on them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah. That’s why they had such a great season. Oh wait. They were 9-19; 3-13. Tate was a freshman, so Calhoun likely recruited him. Clif was a sophomore who had definite potential but wasn’t exactly in any danger of leaving early to go to the NCAA.
You admit what I thought, you don't know what you are talking about. Perno recruited Tate. They had a poor record that year because JC let his best 2 players flunk off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You're the UConn expert, you shouldn't have to ask basic UConn questions. I'm not minimizing JC. It's baloney the way you constantly shade Hurley under the guise of "praising " Calhoun. Especially when I've shown that their records are similar at similar times in their career. What really gets minimized is the damage JC's post-retirement behavior has hurt the program.

Reaction Score
What really gets minimized is the damage JC's post-retirement behavior has hurt the program.
I worship at the Altar of Jim C and his monumental accomplishments for UConn BB.
That said I always realized and understood, Jim was all about Jim in the end.
“… not one thin dime…”
Still I go to the Altar !

Reaction Score
Exactly how does one leave early to go to the NCAA??

Reaction Score
You admit what I thought, you don't know what you are talking about. Perno recruited Tate. They had a poor record that year because JC let his best 2 players flunk off.
Tate was a freshman. Cliff was a sophomore who had high potential but was very raw. I didn’t remember who recruited a guy on the 1986 roster. Heaven forfend! Recruiting wasn’t the industry it is now. Calhoun “let” his 2 best players flunk off? What? He didn’t do their English papers for them? Or did he flunk the chemistry exam?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tate was a freshman. Cliff was a sophomore who had high potential but was very raw. I didn’t remember who recruited a guy on the 1986 roster. Heaven forfend! Recruiting wasn’t the industry it is now. Calhoun “let” his 2 best players flunk off? What? He didn’t do their English papers for them? Or did he flunk the chemistry exam?
Notice that no one flunked off again for what, decades?

Reaction Score
Was Tate brought on by Perno? I can't remember.

Reaction Score

Very tough game for Sellers to start with, but glad to see CCSU on the schedule again.

I always thought that Central was one of the more logical opponents for the Civic Center portion of the UConn schedule. Obviously, much closer to New Britain campus, but more importantly the bigger facility and "central" location in the Capitol City leads to better Statewide exposure for both programs.

This is a game where more casual UConn fans can get a ticket and fans from both teams can spend the pre- or post-game in Downtown bars and restaurants. While this is not a true intra-state "rivalry," doesn't it make more sense for UConn and the Hartford community to promote this as a Statewide celebration of college basketball and not game vs. an anonymous cupcake like Eastern Illinois.

Reaction Score
Very tough game for Sellers to start with, but glad to see CCSU on the schedule again.

I always thought that Central was one of the more logical opponents for the Civic Center portion of the UConn schedule. Obviously, much closer to New Britain campus, but more importantly the bigger facility and "central" location in the Capitol City leads to better Statewide exposure for both programs.

This is a game where more casual UConn fans can get a ticket and fans from both teams can spend the pre- or post-game in Downtown bars and restaurants. While this is not a true intra-state "rivalry," doesn't it make more sense for UConn and the Hartford community to promote this as a Statewide celebration of college basketball and not game vs. an anonymous cupcake like Eastern Illinois.

You’ll play us where we tell you to play us

Reaction Score

Perfect game to have at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.

Por exemplo: When Eastern Washington played at Webster Bank, attendance was 9,274. The place was jammed packed (93% capacity) and had the best atmosphere I've seen against a non-regional cupcake. The same season, a game at Yale was, 8848, about 54% capacity of the XL Center. Their game at Bridgeport against Columbia had similar attendance (9,124).

Granted, the attendance isn't that different, but a packed Webster Bank would make a ton of sense for an intrastate match.

Back to the game, I enjoy any instrastate game. However, would like some of our cupcake games (MAAC, NEC, AE, Ivy), to be against better teams in those conferences (Iona, Harvard, Yale, Vermont, Stony Brook, Bryant, etc).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom