Future Nonconference Opponents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future Nonconference Opponents

Reaction Score
Somebody has been told to stay away from the players.
Actually, we get along just fine. You still need to learn how Chief motivates and nudges to achieve outcomes, which are also in Coach Hurley’s best interest too, I think.
Chief just spent some dimes on tickets and seat donations, and I wanted to share that casual fan dimension/perspective to someone who doesn’t have to do that for his tickets. When you buy any type of entertainment ticket, you want some value in return.

Reaction Score
Actually, we get along just fine. You still need to learn how Chief motivates and nudges to achieve outcomes, which are also in Coach Hurley’s best interest too, I think.
Chief just spent some dimes on tickets and seat donations, and I wanted to share that casual fan dimension/perspective to someone who doesn’t have to do that for his tickets. When you buy any type of entertainment ticket, you want some value in return.
Chief you are right of course, but playing a national schedules will rebuild our somewhat tarnished reputation. Just getting to the tournament and losing to a worse seed in the first round, if you do it enough, makes you one of those trivia questions. Didn’t you used to be somebody important?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Hurley has that Seton Hall outlook. Look at me. I made the tournament. Throw a parade. Calhoun wanted to win the tournament Hurley wants to get into tournament. Perfect New Big East head coach
You've drawn this conclusion from Hurley based on what exactly? What are the facts backing up this conclusion?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You've drawn this conclusion from Hurley based on what exactly? What are the facts backing up this conclusion?
Just look at the record:
An initial season conceived as a crisis intervention.
A second season that included playing the #10 ranked team on January 22nd.
A worldwide pandemic-affected third season that coincided with entry into a new conference.
A couple-to-few posters Liking and agreeing with each others' comments, and offering proper nouns of their own invention.

Can't you see the patterns that support the conclusions? It's not quite IRAC, but any reasonable person wouldn't fail to see the inarguable truth of the assertions they've made.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To say, "Calhoun never did that BS" is BS. Nobody, not even Boeheim, loved cupcakes more than JC. Let's pick a season, say 2005-6. That team played 4 OOC games against teams ranked higher than 300. They finished calendar year 2005 with the lowest SoS in the country. That prep served them well in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
To say, "Calhoun never did that BS" is BS. Nobody, not even Boeheim, loved cupcakes more than JC. Let's pick a season, say 2005-6. That team played 4 OOC games against teams ranked higher than 300. They finished calendar year 2005 with the lowest SoS in the country. That prep served them well in the Big Dance.
Quit using facts to argue. This is the BY for gods sake

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Just look at the record:
A worldwide pandemic-affected third season that coincided with entry into a new conference.
A couple-to-few posters Liking and agreeing with each others' comments, and offering proper nouns of their own invention.

Can't you see the patterns that support the conclusions? It's not quite IRAC, but any reasonable person wouldn't fail to see the inarguable truth of the assertions they've made.
There is only one conclusion a rational human being can draw from this, Dan Hurley is a coward.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, I sorta miss playing American International as a exhibition to start the season. JC’s alma mater

His coach managed a tennis club where I used to work. He compared Calhoun to a trapped animal that would naw its own leg off to get free, then go about its business as if nothing happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just look at the record:

Danny said he had his assistants studying Big East rosters to determine if the conference teams could get them into the tournament due to strength of schedule. Remember that 4 game series against UNC and 2 game H/H against UT, MSU and KU, etc? Danny doesn’t have any of that baked into future schedules - has nothing to do with Covid. He hasn’t made that commitment when basically they almost double ticket prices under his tenure - Covid didn’t prevent that! LOL

Reaction Score
His coach managed a tennis club where I used to work. He compared Calhoun to a trapped animal that would naw its own leg off to get free, then go about it's business as if nothing happened.
That’s a great story about a great guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun's template was an early tournament, a home and home against a big name for TV and the occasional neutral-site game. The rest of the OOC slate was from the bottle of the barrel. He steered clear of any decent mid-major after the Bonnies game. And even this only happened after they got good. In his 4th year he didn't sniff a ranked team OOC until the dance. JC scheduled for success with the best of them.

Reaction Score
He would play two elite teams H/H each year - one home - the other away.
The Big East had some studs during some of those years. Also went to some big time early season tournaments. Also had an occasional game at MSG. Remember playing Gonzaga in Boston too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Big East had some studs during some of those years. Also went to some big time early season tournaments. Also had an occasional game at MSG. Remember playing Gonzaga in Boston too.
While the beloved casual Chief reader might imagine that the response above rebuts what I previously wrote, I offer that I of course remember the various multi-year H-H series and such that you have referenced. I also know when they occurred in Jim Calhoun's UConn basketball time line.

The first mid-January high major OOC game was not scheduled in the first 3 (or even 4) years of the Calhoun Era.

In fact, not until the third season after 1990's Dream Season was a mid-January game against #12 Florida State show up. That was JC's 6th season.

There was no comparable game in Donyell Marshall's final season. The following year, #7 Kansas crushed UConn in a mid-season game. Calhoun's 8th season at UConn, after decent success at Northeastern. Let's leave it there.

I maintain that it's a tendency toward unsustainable overreach that fails you more than anything else; it dilutes the value you sometimes otherwise add.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Elite teams schedule other elite teams for home and homes. We’re still climbing our way back.

Reaction Score
The following year, #7 Kansas crushed UConn in a mid-season game. Calhoun's 8th season at UConn
i think in Hurley's 4th year the program will be back to the level it was during calhoun's 8th year, maybe?? they went from the NIT in 92-93 to the sweet 16 in 93-94 (were also BE regular season champs and ranked in the top 10). it was straight to the top after that.

now that we are back in the BE and recruiting well again we are building momentum and on the precipice of another breakthrough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. I know that nobody is willing to argue facts. As much as I try the response is ”but MSG”.
ok, once and for all- give us 1 fact that tends to demonstrate the aac is and has been a better bball conference than the BE. and just to be clear your subjective delusions dont equate to facts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
LOL. I know that nobody is willing to argue facts. As much as I try the response is ”but MSG”.
Season 3 No GIF

Reaction Score

Yeah that’s not true. You never engage with the fact that the Big East has consistently been ranked between the second and 5th best college basketball conference.

it’s not like UConn is choosing to not be in the ACC or Big 10. The choice is between the Big East and the AAC and the correct choice is clear.

get your facts and come back and see me.

you idiot, you absolute fool.

Reaction Score
While the beloved casual Chief reader might imagine that the response above rebuts what I previously wrote, I offer that I of course remember the various multi-year H-H series and such that you have referenced. I also know when they occurred in Jim Calhoun's UConn basketball time line.

The first mid-January high major OOC game was not scheduled in the first 3 (or even 4) years of the Calhoun Era.

In fact, not until the third season after 1990's Dream Season was a mid-January game against #12 Florida State show up. That was JC's 6th season.

There was no comparable game in Donyell Marshall's final season. The following year, #7 Kansas crushed UConn in a mid-season game. Calhoun's 8th season at UConn, after decent success at Northeastern. Let's leave it there.

I maintain that it's a tendency toward unsustainable overreach that fails you more than anything else; it dilutes the value you sometimes otherwise add.
The dude coached 26 years, inherited a Yankee Conference caliber team plus Cliff, playing in the Big East conference at its prime - so you are comparing that to when Hurley walked in the door - 4 years removed from a National Championship and 4 NC’s in 20 years?
Danny has Gampel and a relatively new practice facility while Jimmy had the Field House and Guyer gym.

You are shying away my friend from the last nearly 2 decades he coached. let’s not go backwards 25 years as you seem to be implying we do. Let’s built on what Jimmy built.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's template was an early tournament, a home and home against a big name for TV and the occasional neutral-site game. The rest of the OOC slate was from the bottle of the barrel. He steered clear of any decent mid-major after the Bonnies game. And even this only happened after they got good. In his 4th year he didn't sniff a ranked team OOC until the dance. JC scheduled for success with the best of them.
But we ain’t in the Big East anymore. We’re in the New Big East. Big difference. Huge! You knew winning in the Big East would get you into the Tournament. Didn’t have to “evaluate rosters” of the other teams. In the New Big East, well that’s what Hurley is doing apparently.

The other thing is that UConn is in a different place in the basketball universe than it was in Calhoun‘s 4th year. He was brining it from being a mid-major in a Power league. Now we are a former power trying to re-establish our rep in a borderline major conference. Big difference when you play in a league where 3-4 teams have a legitimate shot at the NCAA championship every year and one where there is only 1. Of course 2 have a legitimate shot of making it to the round of 32, which is something I guess...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom