Future Nonconference Opponents | The Boneyard

Future Nonconference Opponents

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any info on the teams we are playing OOC in the next few seasons? I can't seem to find anything useful online.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to bite the bullet and stop over calculating the strength of conference rosters/schedule and commit to national level home and home games with elite teams. Commit to a certain number a year and make it happen regardless of other factors.

Reaction Score
There's also Gavitt Games and Big East v. Big 12 challenge. But as a reminder from last year, there is no guarantee after being excluded from both year 1 UConn gets in on either in year 2.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I have no info on the actual OOC schedule so I'll just talk about something tangentially related as is Boneyard custom. I'd like to see fairly regular games against Syracuse (they don't seem to want to play us though), Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, West Virginia, etc. Basically old conference opponents. Obviously, I'd be happy playing any big name school instead: UNC, Florida, Arizona, UCLA (maybe use that Cronin connection if there is one), Indiana, etc. Even lower end P5 opponents would be nice to have. And then sure, sprinkle in a few cupcakes here and there.

That said, we've done a pretty decent job of it I would say. Last year there was Vanderbilt, NC State, and USC (though a couple of those were cancelled). The year before had Florida, Xavier, Miami, and Indiana. The year before that had Syracuse, Iowa, Indiana, Florida State, and Villanova. If we have OOC opponents like that every year, there's no need to worry about SOS. A couple good opponents and a solid MTE should just about do it.

Reaction Score
Selfishly, I would love a series with either Georgia or Georgia Tech.

playing @ Auburn and Florida, it’s like they’ve been orbiting me!

Reaction Score
Local "cupcakes" I've love to see this year are.

CAA: Hofstra
Ivy: Yale, Harvard
American East: Vermont, Stony Brook
MAAC: Iona, Siena, St. Peter's
NEC: Bryant, St. Francis (BK), Sacred Heart.

All should be solid within their conferences.

Reaction Score
If the conference can get him into the NCAA’s, Hurley doesn’t want to play these H/H against good teams. That’s too bad when fans are paying nearly $100 per ticket plus seat donations. Jim always wanted to play some National H/H. Good programs do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Local "cupcakes" I've love to see this year are.

CAA: Hofstra
Ivy: Yale, Harvard
American East: Vermont, Stony Brook
MAAC: Iona, Siena, St. Peter's
NEC: Bryant, St. Francis (BK), Sacred Heart.

All should be solid within their conferences.

Hartford. And F Hathaway.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If the conference can get him into the NCAA’s, Hurley doesn’t want to play these H/H against good teams. That’s too bad when fans are paying nearly $100 per ticket plus seat donations. Jim always wanted to play some National H/H. Good programs do that.
You are correct
DH isn't JC in many ways

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Has Hurley said he doesn't want to play strong OOC teams? I doubt that's how he feels

Reaction Score
Has Hurley said he doesn't want to play strong OOC teams? I doubt that's how he feels
As Chief mentioned in another post in this thread, Hurley said they are looking at Big East rosters to see how much winning in the conference can get them into the tournament. The clear implication from that is that he would schedule accordingly with OCC.
LOL - there’s a reasons why we don’t have more H/H elite games scheduled into the future - Dan does this micromanaging process before he schedules OCC.
My point is this is not a Premier school approach. Calhoun never did that BS. Plan to play 1 or 2 Elite National type Home games every year and cook that into the schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
didn't we agree to play 4 aac games as part of the exit deal? prob a H/H for the men and women? hopefully it's with memphis or houston...no one else worth playing cincy is trash right now.

Reaction Score
As Chief mentioned in another post in this thread, Hurley said they are looking at Big East rosters to see how much winning in the conference can get them into the tournament. The clear implication from that is that he would schedule accordingly with OCC.
LOL - there’s a reasons why we don’t have more H/H elite games scheduled into the future - Dan does this micromanaging process before he schedules OCC.
My point is this is not a Premier school approach. Calhoun never did that BS. Plan to play 1 or 2 Elite National type Home games every year and cook that into the schedule.
The other thing I liked with the schedule during the Calhoun era was that he liked playing an OOC game later in the season. The times we played Arizona, North Carolina, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Texas, they were in January or February. I understand wanting to focus 100% on your conference at that point, but It’s nice to step out and play somebody different because It kind of breaks it up a little bit and I think helps the team for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Hurley has that Seton Hall outlook. Look at me. I made the tournament. Throw a parade. Calhoun wanted to win the tournament Hurley wants to get into tournament. Perfect New Big East head coach

Reaction Score
The other thing I liked with the schedule during the Calhoun era was that he liked playing an OOC game later in the season. The times we played Arizona, North Carolina, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Texas, they were in January or February. I understand wanting to focus 100% on your conference at that point, but It’s nice to step out and play somebody different because It kind of breaks it up a little bit and I think helps the team for the tournament.
Couldn’t agree more. Hurley’s got to get away from the mid major mentality.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, I sorta miss playing American International as a exhibition to start the season. JC’s alma mater

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My understanding is most of those games were part of a CBS national schedule where we would get a few high profile OOC games through our tv contracts with the BE.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I would want to see Cuse regularly, hopefully some more ACC teams every year
They will not play in CT. Boeheim also knows less about scheduling than the guru Chief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom