Funniest/weirdest UConn fan story? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Funniest/weirdest UConn fan story?

Reaction Score
My sister told me this story the other day. First, let me say I'm a Calhoun fan. Back when he was coach, and my Dad was alive, my Dad ran into JC at Sears. Now my Dad was a nice, elderly, unassuming guy who didn't really know much about basketball, but he recognized Calhoun. He said to JC, "Where's your UConn cap?" (probably because he didn't know what else to say). Calhoun grumbled "I don't wear hats" and walked away. Kind of hurt my Dad's feelings. Now I kind of feel a little different about JC. I guess not funny, or weird, but felt like telling someone.

Reaction Score
One of my old co-workers (not a sports fan) has lived in Mansfield for 30+ years. He's out in his yard one day when his neighbor and another guy are on a walk in the neighborhood.

My buddy is introduced to the other guy, (Jim) who appears a little antsy. They shoot the breeze for a while and then my buddy turns to JC and says, "So what do you do for a living, Jim?" His buddy cracked up and said to JC, "See, I told you!"

Reaction Score
Best UConn memory for me is easily the 2002 Big East Championship. It was my freshman year and a few of us scrapped any money we had and traveled down to NYC to watch the Semi Final against Notre Dame. UConn wins and we all decide on the ride home we need to go back for Championship game. One of our friends lived in Monroe so we stop off and head back down in the morning. Expecting to have to scalp tickets we decide to see if ticket office has anything left and sure enough we get great tickets 2 sections back.

We all know what happens next, Taliek hits the 30 foot shot in double OT and the good guys win. Walking out of MSG with 50/50 UConn and Pitt fans the entire UConn nation was chanting..UConn....Huskies over and over. Best feeling.

Oh and then we waited by players entrance and got a Jersey signed by Caron, Emeka, Taliek, Ben. That was a night I wish never ended.

@tykurez can vouch for this story as well.

Reaction Score
Not a crazy story but a great memory. After the 2011 National Championship took my 12 yr old son up to welcome the team back at Gampel. We got there before they were letting people in- noticed a back entrance door was unlocked went in early and got a front row seat. My son was interviewed by two tv stations. Shook hands w all the players and coaches. Also told KO “ the next coach at UCONN”. He laughed. Watched Kemba’s Jersey get retired.
My son and I still talk about that day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Funny fan stories?

I played foosball with Cliff Robinson and Jeff King at Ted's. They were a team. Those long arms gave them an interesting advantage or disadvantage, I don't know which.

As for an unusual event, Clemson was playing in the NCAA tournament in Hartford in 1990. I looked up the dates, it much have been March 16, in between their games, we were out at the Russian Lady in Hartford and ran into Elden Campbell, Dale Davis and some of the other Clemson players. If I recall, we knew they were our potential opponent in the round of 16, and gave them a little bit of "talk". They took it with good humor. A week later, I was in the building next door at Challenges, in the basement part of the bar, for the roller-coaster of emotions that ended with "The Shot".

Reaction Score
BC vs. UConn football game, Sept 2003 at the Rent. BC has game in hand with just a few minutes left so my group and many in the crowd make a move for exits. I'm at game with some family members including my slightly handicapped father-in-law (walks with a slight limp). Heavy foot traffic in concourse moving briskly towards exit and beat the crowd. My father-in-law is walking directly next to me. He proceeds to take a header almost face first. I squat down to see if he's okay and help him up. The guy who had been walking behind us and inadvertently stepped on the back of my father-in-law foot is squatting down on other side of him and apologizing profusely in a voice I immediately recognize (who wouldn't?). Jim Calhoun grasped one arm and I the other and helped him up. JC actually brushed off the backside of my father-in-law shirt, made sure he was okay, said a few kind words about getting older himself, and then was on his way. My brush with JC greatness....

Reaction Score
I actually banned myself yesterday by accident. I was testing a mod feature so I needed to ban a username I had access to. The feature automatically bans anyone sharing an account. I banned Tom as a test and temery was automatically banned. Didn't think that one through very well.

Better not ban Big Red either... ;)

Reaction Score
Not sure if this belongs here but when he isn't teaching the casual fan, praising the blaze strategy, dancing in the streets with bunkey, building/destroying dams, or offering vague cryptic predictions, he is out talking to ex players about the EPL and champions league.....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was maybe a sophomore or junior in high school when UConn beat USF in the snow on a field goal by Teggart. I thought everyone would rush the field, as USF was ranked, so i jumped onto the field and started sprinting towards the 50 where the team was gathered. Turned out that no one else got onto the field, so I was just running out there by myself. Helped to hoist up Dave Teggart as a 15 or 16 year old kid and had a blast.

Another one was I was at Gampel to watch the 2011 championship game. I'd broken my pelvis in a car accident maybe 3 weeks earlier tops. I really should not have been out at all, and I was still in high school. Anyways, some friends and I drank way too much tequila and when the team won I ended up breakdancing with my crutches at center court with a crowd around me clapping. My pelvis felt no pain that night. I continued to crutch from Gampel to Carriage to party.
A few years ago I gave a very awkward UConn student a ticket to the Nova football game in the Silva’s parking lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom