Funniest/weirdest UConn fan story? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Funniest/weirdest UConn fan story?

Reaction Score
Two years ago-- shortly after the season ended and the Enoch, Durham, Jackson transfers were announced-- I'm sitting in the Owl Shop with a few friends. It's early on a Sunday, a little after noon. The place is almost empty. We're talking about how terrible of a season it was and how concerning the transfers are. My buddy, a passionate alumnus, is killing KO. He's really getting fired up and letting him have it. This goes on for about 15 minutes before I notice out of the corner of my eye a man who had been sitting with his back to us gets up from his chair and starts walking towards the front of the bar. I look over and it's friggin Kevin Ollie. He had been sitting 15-20 feet away from us in silence while my buddy completely trashed him. He absolutely had to have heard every word we said.

He stayed there for a few more hours. A big crew of mostly younger people came in and hung out with him. No one I recognized. He was with cuddled up with some girl most of the time. We showed some respect and cut out the UConn/KO talk for the rest of our visit.

Love the Owl Shop. I've seen a lot of "known" people in there over the years. Wifey always calls me out when I stop there cause once you enter your entire wardrobe becomes cigar scented

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I thought you were talking about Mia Sara aka Sloane Peterson, since she was a contemporary of Cates.

No idea why she didn't have a better career. Same for Phoebe Cates who is about the same age.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No idea why she didn't have a better career. Same for Phoebe Cates who is about the same age.

Phoebe Cates chose to step away. Didn't like the industry/spotlight. Got married relatively young and had kids. Wanted family life instead.

All the more reason to like her.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pipe down. @temery 's Screen shots of Poolers posting habits is some of the best content going
Um, just curious, who did you think was going to ban him?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I thought you were talking about Mia Sara aka Sloane Peterson, since she was a contemporary of Cates.

Nomar I'm in your cesspool of a city this weekend. Where do I go for dinner tonight? I'm whereing jeans and a shirt. I'm getting pizza mid afternoon. John's of Bleecker st per the One Bite app.

Had Dos Caminos mexican last night. Very nice.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nomar I'm in your cesspool of a city this weekend. Where do I go for dinner tonight? I'm whereing jeans and a shirt. I'm getting pizza mid afternoon. John's of Bleecker st per the One Bite app.

Had Dos Caminos mexican last night. Very nice.

Haha - watch out for the junkies!

IMO, nothing beats NH pizza but people like John's.

I need a little more to go on! Just stay out of midtown.

Dos Caminos is reliable. Cool vibe.

Reaction Score
March 27,1999 after the Ohio St semi final game in Tampa my buddies and I go back to the hotel bar and get absolutely hammered with Michigan St fans who were very cool. The next morning, me being a devoted Catholic wake up and decide to go to Mass while the others sleep. Hungover and probably still drunk I stumble into church and see the two nuns who Calhoun had befriended which I thought was pretty cool. But the weirdest part of the Mass was the usher who passed the basket to collect $. He had a name tag and honest to God his name was James Calhoun. When I saw that I knew it was in the stars that we would win.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
IMO, nothing beats NH pizza but people like John's.

Well I'm not very well traveling back up to New haven now am I? Haha

John's will have to do.

I need a little more to go on! Just stay out of midtown.

Two places.

Restaurant in Soho. Drinks after.

Medium spend.

Casual to semi casual.

Any type. Ethnic food always a plus. But no problem if not.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Within those parameters (some stretching on geography):
Shuka and Pera for Mediterranean
Felix for French
Uncle Boons for Thai
Khe-Yo for Laotian

I like Rubirosa but you just ate pizza. They do have other stuff.

A million bars. Depends on what you want. Cocktails? More divey?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Within those parameters (some stretching on geography):
Shuka and Pera for Mediterranean
Felix for French
Uncle Boons for Thai
Khe-Yo for Laotian

Sweet thank you. Probably gonna try the Laotian.

A million bars. Depends on what you want. Cocktails? More divey?

Good beer. Good birds. Pretty much my only to priorities. But wouldn't mind something funky being I'm in NYC

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Eating lunch with Al Lewis at Aetna, where he worked after college.

220px-Al_Lewis_01.jpg

Never pictured him as an insurance man.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
220px-Al_Lewis_01.jpg

Never pictured him as an insurance man.
Was he a UConn guy? I went to his restaurant down in the village after a show with my wife and in-laws and he came over and started hitting on my mother-in-law.

Reaction Score
In my senior year, 1997-98, I lived in Sprague 250, which coincidentally also was Donny Marshall's room his senior year. Jake Voskuhl lived across the hall, and my buddy Ben was a big fan (he may be a poster on here, but I only know @Excalibur personally) who also lived on the second floor of Sprague. Ben and Jake had Music Appreciation together, and Ben took all of the notes for Jake. As a token of appreciation, Jake gave Ben a pair of Kevin Freeman's shoes, and damn if Ben didn't think he hit the lottery.

Also, Ben, @Excalibur and I have season tickets to Gampel. A couple of years ago we had these four bros sitting behind us who, like us, were in our late 30s. They would spend the ENTIRE DAMN GAME loudly talking about their lady conquests and how they couldn't wait to head over to Ted's after the game. Every game. It was brutal. We wound up moving our seats a few sections over because these d-bags were absolutely ridiculous.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Um, just curious, who did you think was going to ban him?

I actually banned myself yesterday by accident. I was testing a mod feature so I needed to ban a username I had access to. The feature automatically bans anyone sharing an account. I banned Tom as a test and temery was automatically banned. Didn't think that one through very well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I actually banned myself yesterday by accident. I was testing a mod feature so I needed to ban a username I had access to. The feature automatically bans anyone sharing an account. I banned Tom as a test and temery was automatically banned. Didn't think that one through very well.

This makes me happier than it should.

Reaction Score

Nobody ever accused you of being smaaaht.

Reaction Score
2004 semi-final game vs Duke had about 10 guys over to watch the game, nice party but to get right to the point I was pissed and frustrated when they were down 12 as we know late in the game, walked out on the deck to just get some air and change things. Watched the next couple of possessions and as we scored and seemed to at least be making it a game I tried to get back join but the door was locked. It wasn't a beautiful night and although I could see the big screen fine it was rather cold and they decided I made the right move by going outside so they weren't going to stop the momentum and let me back in the house. I found that to make sense but it was cold so I asked for them to understand this wouldn't change anything so let me in my damn house. Even during a timeout I walked around the house to the garage where he had the keg and the barrel of bottles and cans on ice with the door open most all of the game for those who smoked whatever and that was closed. Front door locked also, came back around and there was a beer and a shot on the deck with my boys smiling and telling me it's working.

Fast forward, they let me in when Emeka made the FT to get us up by 4.:cool:

Of course when I got in Duke made a 3, good thing I was freezing my axe off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom