Fun Fact on Carlton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fun Fact on Carlton

Reaction Score
This board s way too negative on Carlton.

One question. Looking for a rational answer. If he is so terrible why do opposing coaches see the need to double team im when the ball comes int the post?
I don't even want him gone and think he has an important role in some matchups, but he has tunnel vision and doesn't pass out of a double team so it's an easy choice for opposing coaches

Reaction Score
I don't even want him gone and think he has an important role in some matchups, but he has tunnel vision and doesn't pass out of a double team so it's an easy choice for opposing coaches
this. if he learned to pass out of double teams then maybe he won't be double teamed anymore, which would then allow him to 1v1 his defender for some buckets.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

One question. Looking for a rational answer. If he is so terrible why do opposing coaches see the need to double team im when the ball comes int the post?

because he almost always makes the wrong decision in the double team. The same way hack a shaq is giving free two shots too bad Shaq is an awful shooter. A double brings an extra defender and leaves someone open Carlton can’t find that person though.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Did anyone see him take and make the jump-shot from midrange against Temple?

Have never seen him take a shot like that this season, would be great if he could expand his game to regularly include that.
'the shot?' from the outside looking in, josh seems like a big kid who, as time goes on, does something, and then it dawns on him 'I can do that? cooool' check out the smile that he had on his face after he hit that one. ear to ear grin. I believe his repertoire will continue to expand on the offensive end, as he better understands the teams need for him to cut down on the defensive fouls. especially the boatload he collects as he tries to bail out another one of our guys getting beat on the drive. josh is still an incomplete work. I like his/our chances for that happening. take the foul line j josh -take it, again and again.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Today I learned that correlation equals causation.

The team that misses more shots creates more rebounding opportunities, that is why you'll see a correlation between rebounding and winning.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but we don’t believe you, you need more people - Jay Z

Reaction Score
because he almost always makes the wrong decision in the double team. The same way hack a shaq is giving free two shots too bad Shaq is an awful shooter. A double brings an extra defender and leaves someone open Carlton can’t find that person though.
Not matter how you slice it Carlton is under productive. He's 6' 11'' but he doesn't want to dunk, he'd rather try layups. He is easily the worst free throw shooter on the team so he can't be on the floor at the end of close games. He hasn't done nearly enough with minutes he's gotten this year.

He has a good game and then disappears the next 2. I don't think we can rely on him to be our starting center next year.
He at 6 ( 3-5) points and 5 rebounds in 14 minutes last night.
We built that first lead when he came in and seemed unstoppable
He even hit a jumper was pulled and only saw only limited minutes for the rest of the game.
Adams played 35 minutes and scored 5 Pts on 1-8 shooting.
Who was more productive?
Carlton’s 40 min projected rebound numbers are through the roof . Not just last night but for the year.
Whaley was great and Maybe Hurley felt Temple’s mobility inside wasn’t a match for him . But there were a lot less productive guys than Carlton. I though he could have played him and IW together freeing Whaley to gamble on traps.
Us going small didn’t seem to work as it looked like it was awful easy for them to score on us.
If he comes back (you never know) he will be a situational starter next year as he is the only guy we have who can match up with the more physical 5 ‘s we will face. Whaley will probably be our 4 next year. Without Akok.
Impact 5 ‘s from first year players is rare.
You guys trying to run him out should be careful what you wish for.
Did you ever try to find an open guy with two bigs on you? getting a pass off isn’t that easy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

It’s an automatic TO.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He even hit a jumper was pulled and only saw only limited minutes for the rest of the game.
Who was more productive?
Carlton’s 40 min projected rebound numbers are through the roof . Not just last night but for the year.
Whaley was great and Maybe Hurley felt Temple’s mobility inside wasn’t a match for him . But there were a lot less productive guys than Carlton. I though he could have played him and IW together freeing Whaley to gamble on traps.
Us going small didn’t seem to work as it looked like it was awful easy for them to score on us.
If he comes back (you never know) he will be a situational starter next year as he is the only guy we have who can match up with the more physical 5 ‘s we will face. Whaley will probably be our 4 next year. Without Akok.
Did you ever try to find an open guy with two bigs on you? getting a pass off isn’t that easy.
I’m not a 6 10 d-1 center but try again.

Reaction Score
Who was more productive?
Nobody is trying to run him out, just want a better big to come in and have Carlton as a bench player.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It’s an automatic TO.
yeah, uh no. josh and james, having played the same amount of minutes so far, each average around 2 tos a game. ag and cv, about 2.5 per game. james gets the freshman pass, cv gets the hustle pass, ag gets no pass, and josh could be better, even tho often there are 2 or 3 mice up in his grille when he gets the ball.

Reaction Score
yeah, uh no. josh and james, having played the same amount of minutes so far, each average around 2 tos a game. ag and cv, about 2.5 per game. james gets the freshman pass, cv gets the hustle pass, ag gets no pass, and josh could be better, even tho often there are 2 or 3 mice up in his grille when he gets the ball.

Have you charted how often they each touch the ball relative to their number of turnovers?

For the season, Carlton has the highest turnover rate on the team (turnovers per individual possession used). Carlton even has a bunch of offensive rebound quick putback possessions depressing his rate, and still leads the team. Turnover per touch would be a huge margin.

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I had pretty much written IW off so I won't do that with Josh. I don't see him improving significantly this year but hopefully he comes back better next year and does well as part of a big man rotation.

Reaction Score
Most of the time Carlton is going to give us something, fights hard for rebounds with a big body inside. Yes he can’t finish but we need the combo with Whaley for it all to work. And Josh tries very hard, can’t fault him for that, but there are times you want to rip him out of the game. But we same the same about CV every so often.

Reaction Score
He has 0 turnovers against Temple
And he shoots 43% from the field as a center in conference play and 46% from the line. His offensive rating is 90.... In conference IW has far outplayed him in nearly every statistical rating. IW offensive rating in conference is 116. He’s just not playing well, there’s not much of an argument to be made that he is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Nelson didn't post the following:

What's the point of this board anymore?

I have slowed down my posting here because I don't see any point to debating people that want Whaley. Posters like @superjohn and @uconnfan68 literally want our inside game taken away, and want us to suffer. They are essentially this program's enemies. In their defense, they are absolutely representative of Hurleyists in the real world, and DreamJobbed is a prototype Hurley apologists.

I don't see any point in debating these people. I am trying to figure out how to protect myself from them.

(for those who don't participate in the Cesspool, well, you won't understand).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have slowed down my posting here because I don't see any point to debating people that want Whaley. Posters like @superjohn and @uconnfan68 literally want our inside game taken away, and want us to suffer. They are essentially this program's enemies. In their defense, they are absolutely representative of Hurleyists in the real world, and DreamJobbed is a prototype Hurley apologists.

I don't see any point in debating these people. I am trying to figure out how to protect myself from them.

Wtf? I want Josh to stay in the games. At least to be available to play. Not to pick up fouls so fast he sits for 40 minutes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
? I want Josh to stay in the games. At least to be available to play. Not to pick up fouls so fast he sits for 40 minutes.

Edit: Ah nevermind, I confused myself. But hey, it was supposed to be funny, y'know?

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DreamJobbed is a prototype Hurley apologists.

Amen

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That happens as we age.

Easy there... it wasn't all addle-brained. I settled on you and SJ specifically because you'd both be familiar with the original Nelson post. I just missed on the nuance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You have a lot invested in the hate of a player on a team you claim to love.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom