Fun Fact on Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fun Fact on Carlton

Reaction Score
Hard to believe but Josh is in the top 10 in the conference in Rebounds, Blocks, and fg%

FG%? What? No he's not. What's your source on that?

Edit- ESPN has him 11th among qualifying players, but it's using season long stats for conference players. He's been much worse in actual conference play. And only for regular FG%. Anything more advanced and his numbers tank.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Hard to believe but Josh is in the top 10 in the conference in Rebounds, Blocks, and fg%

Josh is one rebound ahead of Christian Vital: American Athletic Conference Statistics - College Basketball - ESPN

Josh has 3 fewer blocks than Isaiah Whaley in more minutes: American Athletic Conference Statistics - College Basketball - ESPN

Josh is 11th in FG% at 49.2%, but that's only among the top 70 players in attempts: American Athletic Conference Statistics - College Basketball - ESPN. Since Josh doesn't have any 3 point attempts, his adjusted fg% is terrible for a center. Most of those 70 players take a lot of 3 pointers. Bouknight, Alterique, CV, Brendan Adams, and Akok Akok are also among the 70 listed players - Bouknight is our only player with a better adjusted FG% than Carlton. We're a bad shooting team. Alterique is ranked 68th among the 70 players, CV 55th.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carlton - of all the players we regularly use - might be our actual, worst player. I'm not even sure it's close. His ORtg is in the toilet.

Gilbert

Reaction Score
FG%? What? No he's not. What's your source on that?

Edit- ESPN has him 11th among qualifying players, but it's using season long stats for conference players. He's been much worse in actual conference play. And only for regular FG%. Anything more advanced and his numbers tank.
Yep. In conference play- 5.6 ppg and 5.8 rebs, 1 block per game. 46% fg, 46% ft.

Once you do a deep dive it looks even worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In league play: 87.9 ORtg

In the 3 wins he played 20+ min, he averaged 7 points. Are you attributing those wins to him? I don't understand the point of this post. There's a reason he's not playing 20+ minutes anymore.

Are points the only thing that matter? What about defense and rebounding? Are they unimportant?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In league play: 87.9 ORtg

In the 3 wins he played 20+ min, he averaged 7 points. Are you attributing those wins to him? I don't understand the point of this post. There's a reason he's not playing 20+ minutes anymore.

Carlton has a 90 ORating.

Interestingly, his ORtg and DRtg stats are much better than Akok's in conference play.

Reaction Score
Are points the only thing that matter? What about defense and rebounding? Are they unimportant?
If you want a gauge on how he stacks up to his teammates on a per minute basis in conference here you go. And yes, Akok was having a bad in-conference season. His numbers are horrible in conference, you telling me an arbitrary fact about wins in relation to his minutes still means nothing. UConn has been a 3 man team in AAC play.
AD715F6D-C9AB-42CD-B807-D9E7F9EAB290.jpeg

Carlton has a 90 ORating.

Interestingly, his ORtg and DRtg stats are much better than Akok's in conference play.
I was using Kenpom’s stats. Negligible difference

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If you want a gauge on how he stacks up to his teammates on a per minute basis in conference here you go. And yes, Akok was having a bad in-conference season. His numbers are horrible in conference, you telling me an arbitrary fact about wins in relation to his minutes still means nothing. UConn has been a 3 man team in AAC play. View attachment 51088

I was using Kenpom’s stats. Negligible difference
temi has some work to do. he's having a rough season..

Reaction Score
Not matter how you slice it Carlton is under productive. He's 6' 11'' but he doesn't want to dunk, he'd rather try layups. He is easily the worst free throw shooter on the team so he can't be on the floor at the end of close games. He hasn't done nearly enough with minutes he's gotten this year.

He has a good game and then disappears the next 2. I don't think we can rely on him to be our starting center next year.
He’s also a sub-standard defender who often doesn’t react quickly enough to the action around him and gets caught out of position.

Plus that missed soft lay-in attempt (vs. dunk) on a pick-and-roll with Gaffney vs. Temple late in the game was absolutely criminal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can try to boil a player down to a number, although win shares is a stretch because you can tweak that algorithm a tiny bit and get a completely different outcome.

If you are right, and rebounds don't matter, then there should be no correlation between rebound differential and winning. Do you think there is?

Reaction Score
Did anyone see him take and make the jump-shot from midrange against Temple?

Have never seen him take a shot like that this season, would be great if he could expand his game to regularly include that.

Reaction Score
UConn record when Carlton plays 20 minutes or more in a game: 11-5
UConn record when Carlton plays less than 20 minutes in a game: 3-7

At no point in your rambling were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Reaction Score
This board s way too negative on Carlton.

One question. Looking for a rational answer. If he is so terrible why do opposing coaches see the need to double team im when the ball comes int the post?

Reaction Score
This board s way too negative on Carlton.

One question. Looking for a rational answer. If he is so terrible why do opposing coaches see the need to double team im when the ball comes int the post?
Because he has a 3/1 turnover vs assist ratio. He’s literally 3 times more likely to commit a turnover than create an assist. When he catches the ball, he’s looking score and when he’s shooting under 50% for a center, forcing him to create action is a good defensive strategy.

Reaction Score
i was carlton's biggest defender but unfortunately he hasn't cut it thus far. we need an immediate impact big that will give us at least 12 ppg 7 rpg next season. im kicking myself because we couldn't land Kofi but it is what it is. Hopefully the staff pull through with Adama or Javonte accelerates his development way faster than expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom