Full quote from Calhoun on Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Full quote from Calhoun on Hurley

Reaction Score
Surprising to hear JC openly say KO had to go. They had like a father son relationship and it seems to be downright frosty these days.

A little concerning maybe? Idk. KO had nothing but the best at all times to say about JC when he was new to the job. What changed? Any possibility JC was overbearing in his mentoring role?

Reaction Score
urprising to hear JC openly say KO had to go. They had like a father son relationship and it seems to be downright frosty these days.
Where did he say that?

“We needed a new coach,” Calhoun said on Thursday morning.

Yes, they needed a new coach because the AD fired the old one. That's a fact, not an opinion. I think some people are reading too much into that quote. If he said, "We needed to make a change," then I'd agree with what you said.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
D7CDFE8F-9D83-4885-86D2-9C78229C3FFB.png

Reaction Score
I was thinking Borges couldn't understand what Calhoun said there and made his best guess /s
I still can't understand JC after all these years so I think you are right.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I wish he’d say something like “UConn is in my blood” rather than “I continue to root for UConn.”
It comes off as if he’s somewhat estranged from the program he built.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Surprising to hear JC openly say KO had to go. They had like a father son relationship and it seems to be downright frosty these days.

A little concerning maybe? Idk. KO had nothing but the best at all times to say about JC when he was new to the job. What changed? Any possibility JC was overbearing in his mentoring role?

Big brother crushing little brother's skull doesn't usually sit well with father...

Reaction Score
My guess is that he used a euphemism for energy that was unprintable like "full of piss and vinegar." Now that I think about it I was amazed that people from RI like vinegar with fries instead of ketchup.

Reaction Score
We needed a new coach because we fired our coach.

I didn't see it as a dig in KO
I think you guys are reaching here. I think he absolutely meant we needed a new coach because the last one embarrassed the school the past few years. He put on a good face publicly but it had to be killing JC to see us getting blown out repeatedly this season and losing to schools we should never lose to.

Reaction Score
I think you guys are reaching here. I think he absolutely meant we needed a new coach because the last one embarrassed the school the past few years. He put on a good face publicly but it had to be killing JC to see us getting blown out repeatedly this season and losing to schools we should never lose to.
I don't believe that JC would come out and say that. No matter how much the relationship with Ollie had deteriorated. He may have thought it. But just no way he comes out publicly and says something like that. Also, remember he is the guy that handed the keys to Ollie in the first place.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that JC would come out and say that. No matter how much the relationship with Ollie had deteriorated. He may have thought it. But just no way he comes out publicly and says something like that. Also, remember he is the guy that handed the keys to Ollie in the first place.
Only JC knows what he really meant, we’re just left to our interpretations. We’ve always collectively assumed that JC knew KO would make a great head coach for many years. It could have just as easily been that he knew he was done and wanted KO to at least get the chance to prove himself for a year before Warde could cast a wider net.

He could be so resentful of how KO resisted his involvement and for ruining the program that he finally openly said what was on his mind. Just my opinion, the bottom line is we got the guy we wanted, and he seems wisely enough to want to utilize such an amazing resource.

Reaction Score

Yup, so many seem to be in denial over this, JC knew what he was saying, it is so very obvious that JC thought KO had to go just like most of us on this board did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, so many seem to be in denial over this, JC knew what he was saying,
Totally agree.
The interpretation that, "we fired the coach, so therefore we needed a coach, so therefore we hired Dan" is thin and unconvincing.
The interpretation that, "the prior coach was doing poorly and everybody knows that, so therefore we needed a coach, so therefore we hired Dan" seem so much more plausible.

Of course, it is JC we're talking about here. Lol. Either could be true.

Reaction Score
Where did he say that?

“We needed a new coach,” Calhoun said on Thursday morning.

Yes, they needed a new coach because the AD fired the old one. That's a fact, not an opinion. I think some people are reading too much into that quote. If he said, "We needed to make a change," then I'd agree with what you said.

I disagree. Of course, when there is a vacancy you need to hire a new coach. You really think Calhoun is going to say something that obvious? He meant that we needed a change at Head Coach for the good of the program.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Can somebody point out to me the last time Calhoun threw one of his own guys under the bus? I can't ever recall a time. He was always really hard on his guys, but he would always defend them almost to a fault in the media. I would be stunned if he meant to disparage Ollie.

Reaction Score
Can somebody point out to me the last time Calhoun threw one of his own guys under the bus? I can't ever recall a time. He was always really hard on his guys, but he would always defend them almost to a fault in the media. I would be stunned if he meant to disparage Ollie.

Yep you and Hooper have it right. No matter what occurred between KO and JC he would never kick him while he's down, he's still one of his favorites I am sure if only from memories.

But I see how some can think otherwise, or shall I say would rather think otherwise.

Reaction Score
JC is not the kind of guy that readily admits mistakes no matter how small. we’ve seen numerous examples. He pushed the school into hiring KO, fact. Without the championship the scrutiny would have been much more intensive very quickly, but Calhoun is not about to admit that KO wasn’t right for this job. He has his own culpability for the program position and what happened but he’s one of the greatest coaches in history and will never lose his luster at the school, as it should be. Complex character.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hard to tell Calhoun's intention with that comment. It could've been "we needed a new coach" ... because the other one was fired. I believe that's what he meant. I know that JC had issues with KO, but I think he's more hurt about how things turned out, then happy. Even though I think JC understood that KO had to go, I don't think he would be as callous as saying KO had to go.
I think he meant that they could not keep KO as a coach. But he is also the guy who pushed KO on UConn without a national search. He said sort of the same things about KO that he said about Hurley. He shouldn’t talk so much.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The interpretation that, "the prior coach was doing poorly and everybody knows that, so therefore we needed a coach, so therefore we hired Dan" seem so much more plausible.
Of course, it is JC we're talking about here. Lol. Either could be true.

Yeah idk why people are so damned sure they know exactly what JC is saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom