Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Which are?

1. Geno and his coaching staff. I could stop here!! :)

2. Paige Bueckers. She gets to play with her BFF for 3 years. I think the two of them together can win at least 2 NCAA championships in that time. It's very possible they will never have the opportunity to play together again (except maybe on the USA team) after college, IF....she comes to UConn. Something to think about.

3. The history and tradition of UCONN. She may want to be part of that history, and create her own "legacy" there. Who knows, she may want to challenge UConn's all-time leading scorer Maya Moore's total of 3,036 career points, or see how close she can get to it. At some point, she'll get to meet and talk to many of the former UConn legends who regularly come back to the campus for various school and team events, Sue Bird and HOF inductee Rebecca Lobo being among them. They visit the campus often. :rolleyes:

4. Storrs is a lot closer to Virginia that Westwood. From Virginia, UCLA is 2,572 miles by air ( a 5 hr direct flight). Storrs is only 385 miles (6 hr 45 min by car per Mapquest). A significant cost savings if her parents/family want to see her play regularly at Gampel. A quick trip home to Arlington, Va for the weekend to combat home sickness and cabin fever can be made more often and much cheaper from Hartford to Ronald Reagan Int'l, 5 miles from her home.

5. She'll be surrounded with better players (supporting cast) at UConn than at UCLA. She'll also play in front of LARGER crowds at Gampel that in Pauley Pavilion. Women's basketball has never been supported here in So. Cal as in other parts of the country. USC draws smaller crowds than UCLA. Both men's teams draw decent crowds, but nothing like Duke, Kentucky or Syracuse etc. Those fans are "rabid". Our fans are just fans. :confused:

6. National exposure. She'll get more exposure at UConn than at UCLA. I live in Los Angeles. I've seen EVERY UConn game on TV here for years. That means they were/are seen NATIONALLY via ESPN, CBS Sports network, Fox Sports Net, and SNY. UCLA women's game's ARE NOT available nationally unless you subscribe to the Pac12 Network (if your carrier offers it). I can't get their home games here unless I subscribe to the Pac12 Network, which I have not. UCLA is a beautiful campus, and the education one receives there is exceptional. BUT.................It's NOT UConn. There is NO WAY she can (I believe) reach her full potential in Westwood. Geno will not allow her to cheat her potential!! She needs to come to "THE FACTORY", where champions (on and off the court) have continuously been turned out and coveted by the business and professional sports world since 1985.

7. She'll NEVER at any point in her college career be sorry (not saying she will) she chose UConn over UCLA!! :D

I wrote this before I saw Bascomfan's post, but we are pretty much on the same Paige. I kept getting interrupted (I'm baby sitting a very active and busy 11 month old) while I was composing my draft. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anticipating what she desires to aspire to, I think going to UCLA would be akin to a self imposed exile to Siberia from a basketball standpoint.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Anticipating what she desires to aspire to, I think going to UCLA would be akin to a self imposed exile to Siberia from a basketball standpoint.

Admittedly, I'm guessing here, but some things I mentioned are an easy reach. :)

Reaction Score

2. Paige Bueckers. She gets to play with her BFF for 3 years. I think the two of them together can win at least 2 NCAA championships in that time.

3. The history and tradition of UCONN. She may want to be part of that history, and create her own "legacy" there. Who knows, she may want to challenge Maya Moore's all time leading scoring total of 3,036 career points, or see how close she can get to it. At some point, she'll get to meet and talk to many of the former UConn legends who regularly come back to the campus for various school and team events, Sue Bird being among them. She visits the campus often. :rolleyes:

4. Storrs is a lot closer to Virginia that Westwood. From Virginia, UCLA is 2,572 miles by air (approx 5 hr direct flight). Storrs is only 385 miles (6 hr 45 min by car per Mapquest). A significant cost savings if her parents/family want to see her play regularly at Gampel.

5. She'll be surrounded with better players (supporting cast) at UConn than at UCLA. She'll also play in front of LARGER crowds at Gampel that in Pauley Pavilion. Women's basketball has never been supported here in So. Cal as in other parts of the country. USC draws smaller crowds than UCLA. Both men's draw decent crowds, but nothing like Duke, Kentucky or Syracuse etc. Those fans are "rabid". Our fans are just fans. :confused:

6. National exposure. She'll get more exposure at UConn than at UCLA. I live in Los Angeles. I've seen EVERY UConn game on TV here for years. That means they were/are seen NATIONALLY via ESPN, CBS Sports network, Fox Sports Net, and SNY. UCLA women's game's ARE NOT available nationally unless you subscribe to the Pac12 Network (if your carrier offers it). I can't get their home games here unless I subscribe to the Pac12 Network, which I have not. UCLA is a beautiful campus, and the education one receives there is exceptional. BUT.................It's NOT UConn. There is NO WAY she can (I believe) reach her full potential in Westwood. Geno will not allow her to cheat her potential!! She needs to come to "THE FACTORY", where champions (on and off the court) have continuously been turned out and coveted by the business and professional sports world since 1985.

7. She'll NEVER at any point in her college career be sorry she chose UConn over UCLA!! :D

I wrote this before I saw Bascomfan's post, but we are pretty much on the same Paige. I kept getting interrupted (I'm baby sitting a very active and busy 11 month old) while I was composing my draft. :cool:
Written by a loyal fan no doubt. I don't have a dog in this fight either way

So the national exposure point is the most interesting here. I wonder how limited Ionescu was at Oregon. :(

Reaction Score

2. Paige Bueckers. She gets to play with her BFF for 3 years. I think the two of them together can win at least 2 NCAA championships in that time.

3. The history and tradition of UCONN. She may want to be part of that history, and create her own "legacy" there. Who knows, she may want to challenge Maya Moore's all time leading scoring total of 3,036 career points, or see how close she can get to it. At some point, she'll get to meet and talk to many of the former UConn legends who regularly come back to the campus for various school and team events, Sue Bird being among them. She visits the campus often. :rolleyes:

4. Storrs is a lot closer to Virginia that Westwood. From Virginia, UCLA is 2,572 miles by air (approx 5 hr direct flight). Storrs is only 385 miles (6 hr 45 min by car per Mapquest). A significant cost savings if her parents/family want to see her play regularly at Gampel.

5. She'll be surrounded with better players (supporting cast) at UConn than at UCLA. She'll also play in front of LARGER crowds at Gampel that in Pauley Pavilion. Women's basketball has never been supported here in So. Cal as in other parts of the country. USC draws smaller crowds than UCLA. Both men's draw decent crowds, but nothing like Duke, Kentucky or Syracuse etc. Those fans are "rabid". Our fans are just fans. :confused:

7. She'll NEVER at any point in her college career be sorry she chose UConn over UCLA!! :D

The all knowing Carnac hit on all the majors points. If it's not Uconn, her reasoning would be very interesting. Of course, it's her decision. So, let her decide.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The all knowing Carnac hit on all the majors points. If it's not Uconn, her reasoning would be very interesting. Of course, it's her decision. So, let her decide.

Absolutely!!!!! :) All of her fans want her to be happy and successful where ever she goes. To quote an old Schlitz beer commercial: "You only go around once in life, so grab for all the gusto you can." ;) There are no "do overs."

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

So the national exposure point is the most interesting here. I wonder how limited Ionescu was at Oregon. :(
I'd opine very limited. How many east coasters stay up for a 9:00pm(PST) Pac-12 game? I'd bet most easterners only saw her the few times when she played in the tourney or traveled east for a game.

Reaction Score
I'd opine very limited. How many east coasters stay up for a 9:00pm(PST) Pac-12 game? I'd bet most easterners only saw her the few times when she played in the tourney or traveled east for a game.

True. As an East coast night owl I enjoyed watching PAC12 games, particularly on Friday nights when there were multiple games on several of the PAC12 Network regional stations and very little wcbb anywhere else. Some of the games didn't start until 11:00pm my time and the next day there were very few posters here who actually watched the games.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Yes, I am a HUGE UConn fan, no doubt!!! She's not contemplating Oregon. Do some research and find out how many of Oregon's women's games were/are available nationally. If Fudd is interested in building her brand as so many players are today, the amount of "exposure" she'll get has to be taken into account when making her decision.

I don't know how many of Ionescu's games were available nationally. I only know what I can get. How many of her games were available to fans living in NY, Florida, Texas, Montana, Kansas, Colorado, Connecticut or Las Vegas? Posters here in the yard that live in those states can chime in on that. I don't know. But I do know that ALL of UConn's games can be seen all over the country from coast to coast and boarder to boarder.

Oregon's games like UCLA's are broadcast on the PAC12 network ON DEMAND. And that's IF your TV carrier carries that outlet. Of course you have to pay for ESPN. It is not a free "over the air" service, but the P12 network is an additional cost unless it's included in a sports package you buy. Most of UConn's marquee games against the top ranked schools were on ESPN, FS1, CBS Sports or SNY nationally. I just checked the DIRECTV'S (which is what I have) package availability. They DO NOT carry the Pac12 network. I'm sure many other TV providers do. :cool:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is OT now, but...how are we defining exposure? Ionescu was pretty much anointed as being the face of WCBB by ESPN her Sr. year and signed a big endorsement deal once she graduated. I'd say being relegated to mostly playing games on Pac 12 Network did not hurt her even slightly.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is OT now, but...how are we defining exposure? Ionescu was pretty much anointed as being the face of WCBB by ESPN her Sr. year and signed a big endorsement deal once she graduated. I'd say being relegated to mostly playing games on Pac 12 Network did not hurt her even slightly.

Would you agree that Ionescu got most of her "national" exposure during the 3 weeks of the NCAA tournament? You're right, it could be argued that she was was well known throughout the country in WCBB.
She did in fact sign a major shoe deal. That was no surprise. She did things and set records that may never be broken. So....I guess the question here is can Azzi reach the stature, fame and fortune that Ionescu did playing at UCLA? No one can answer that question at this time, but your point is well taken.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Would you agree that Ionescu got most of her "national" exposure during the 3 weeks of the NCAA tournament?

I think the reason she became a story was mostly because of her obliterating the triple double record and then chasing 2K/1K/1K her Senior year. She was a bit up and down in Tourney appearances and didn't lead Oregon to a Championship, so I don't think it's necessarily March where her name was made (although an unlikely run to the Elite 8 during her Fr. season got the ball rolling).

I think if Fudd is as good as most here think she is, the spotlight will find her wherever she goes.

Reaction Score

You don't think the Fact she played at Nike U had anything to do with that?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think the reason she became a story was mostly because of her obliterating the triple double record and then chasing 2K/1K/1K her Senior year. She was a bit up and down in Tourney appearances and didn't lead Oregon to a Championship, so I don't think it's necessarily March where her name was made (although an unlikely run to the Elite 8 during her Fr. season got the ball rolling).

I think if Fudd is as good as most here think she is, the spotlight will find her wherever she goes.

Agreed!!! If she does go to UCLA, their marketing department will have a monumental job on their hands letting the students, fans and boosters know her background, notoriety and potential she comes in with. Having one of the premiere players in the country, they will be tasked with putting some additional butts in those seats. Nobody likes playing in an near empty arena.

I've been to 2 UCLA women's games in the last 5 years, not counting the UConn game. You could sit where ever you wanted to, hardly anyone there. When they host a non-conference unranked team during the preseason, 800 to 2000 folks show up per the box score in our local paper.

WBB teams in LA do not draw well. We have a unique situation here. They're going up against the Lakers and the Clippers on any given night. Plus there are at least 8 other local colleges and universities within an hour's drive of Westwood that have teams that vie for the attention of local women's basketball fans.

There is also a HUGE interest in local boy's/girl's high school basketball here. So, you can see the dilemma. Lots of choices for the local avid women's/girls' BB fan to choose from. Maybe that will change if Azzi joins the program. They also have to get some top rated talent to put around her. She can't do it by herself.

If one of them (USC/UCLA) were to win the NC, of course that would change. Everyone wants to be part of a winner. Lakers tickets were already priced sky high and hard to get at face value. Scalpers and ticket brokers buy up the excess tickets. It will be even worse now. Don't think their ticket prices won't go up next season because of the additional demand. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't even think they played sports on the west coast. If a game is played and there's no one awake to watch it, was a game played?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well that couldn't have hurt, but had any women's bb player at Oregon gotten even the slightest bit of notoriety previously?

No. Ionescu (along with Ruthy Hebard and Satou Sabally) pumped new life and boosted fan interest 1000% into that program. Before her arrival, that program had not really done anything, thus there was no reason for the interest needle to move. :( Once they started winning, beating ranked teams and making the tournament, fan interest and support went through the roof.....and so did home ticket prices.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the reason she became a story was mostly because of her obliterating the triple double record and then chasing 2K/1K/1K her Senior year. She was a bit up and down in Tourney appearances and didn't lead Oregon to a Championship, so I don't think it's necessarily March where her name was made (although an unlikely run to the Elite 8 during her Fr. season got the ball rolling). I think if Fudd is as good as most here think she is, the spotlight will find her wherever she goes.
Sabrina was a major "story" prior to attending Oregon.
" Ionescu was one of two players who made the 2013 U16 national team without an invitation from USA Basketball"
Opening doors at USA tryouts.
Sabrina also teamed up with Evina Westbrook to win an AAU National Championship.
Sabrina was the MVP of the McDonalds AA game in 2016 which was before she committed to Oregon.
To infer that playing for Oregon led to a Nike Shoe deal is very inaccurate. Every NCAA women's player of the year after 2008 (Candace Parker) has signed a shoe deal with Nike of the affiliated Jordan brand . That also includes A'ja Wilson who attended South Carolina an Under Armor school. Sabrina was going to be offered a shoe deal by Nike because she was POY. It was not a foregone conclusion that Sabrina would pick Nike. She had plenty of suitors including Curry and Under Armor.
No. 1 pick Ionescu signs Nike endorsement deal

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I guess not since you posted twice that she was going to Notre Dame. Most fans with a clue knew that wasn't happening. Good call on that one.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am a HUGE UConn fan, no doubt!!! She's not contemplating Oregon. Do some research and find out how many of Oregon's women's games were/are available nationally. If Fudd is interested in building her brand as so many players are today, the amount of "exposure" she'll get has to be taken into account when making her decision.

I don't know how many of Ionescu's games were available nationally. I only know what I can get. How many of her games were available to fans living in NY, Florida, Texas, Montana, Kansas, Colorado, Connecticut or Las Vegas? Posters here in the yard that live in those states can chime in on that. I don't know. But I do know that ALL of UConn's games can be seen all over the country from coast to coast and boarder to boarder.

Oregon's games like UCLA's are broadcast on the PAC12 network ON DEMAND. And that's IF your TV carrier carries that outlet. Of course you have to pay for ESPN. It is not a free "over the air" service, but the P12 network is an additional cost unless it's included in a sports package you buy. Most of UConn's marquee games against the top ranked schools were on ESPN, FS1, CBS Sports or SNY nationally. I just checked the DIRECTV'S (which is what I have) package availability. They DO NOT carry the Pac12 network. I'm sure many other TV providers do. :cool:
But you have the chance to meet movie stars and singers in LA and there is Disney Land. I agree Cori Close aka Barbra Striesand is nothing special as a coach.

Reaction Score

I never understood the relevance of your point regarding Ionescu.

Carnac mentioned National Exposure. So which program do you think will have more Nat'l exposure? That's the point I thought Carnac was making. UCLA vs UCONN: who is going to have more of it?

If I'm wrong - I apologize.

Reaction Score
But you have the chance to meet movie stars and singers in LA and there is Disney Land. I agree Cori Close aka Barbra Striesand is nothing special as a coach.
Always like a good argument, especially when both people were on the same side of the argument the whole time. Reminds me of many mid-watches on submarines, where the other listeners did not know the arguers were on the same side of the argument until the end of watch.... Thanks for the nudge!

Reaction Score
If UCLA can win games, I’m sure the fan support will follow some what. With Hillingshead still available and looking at UCLA I’m sure teaming up with Fudd they will win some games. Fudd would also be teaming up with Osborne, and Bessoir, so she would have some talent to play with. I also would be surprised to see Lebron show up to a game or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom