Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
63702007f72a4661856591319fdeb0b8.ashx

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For Fudd, the decision was particularly excruciating. Her junior season was delayed after she tore her ACL and MCL in her right knee the previous summer at the 2019 USA 3x3 U18 National Championship, so her senior year should have been a showcase of her tremendous talent.

But her senior season was canceled, leaving Fudd with nowhere to play hoops. So, she weighed her immediate future.

“It was actually pretty difficult,” Fudd said of the process. “Around Christmas time, I had seen a couple of people go to college early, and so my family and I talked about it, and then we started talking to UConn about it and it might be a possibility. I really wanted to do it, just because St. John’s wasn’t really having a season and I was doing school online, so I was like 90-10 percent and I really wanted to do it, and then my school said no.”

The reason, Fudd said, was because St. John’s had never let anyone else graduate mid-year in order to enroll early in college, and the school didn’t want to change despite the unusual circumstances of the pandemic.

Reaction Score
Azzi commenting on getting in Caitlyn's head is kind of funny, Caitlyn often blatantly plays mind games with her opponents.

Reaction Score
Bent was an outstanding student but when she transferred to Tabor Academy from a public HS she was required to repeat her sophomore year. These prep schools exist to get the children of affluent parents into ivy league schools.

just to clarify. It was the decision of Bent and her parents for her to repeat her sophomore year - not Tabor. Like many players who go that route, it was designed to improve the player’s chance of getting a college scholarship and/or landing at a good school. Ducharme’s decision was a bit different as her prep school normally did not accept 8th graders. (Had to be 7th or 9th grade.)

Reaction Score
9 selected:
Lauren Betts, Sonia Citron, Caitlin Clark, Sania Feagin, Azzi Fudd, Diamond Johnson, Te-hina PaoPao, Jewel Spear, and Payton Verhulst.

5 finalists for final 3 spots:
Amari DeBerry, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, Maddy Westbeld, and Jersey Wolfenbarger.

Reaction Score
Surprised early college standouts Olivia Miles and Talia von Oelhoffen did not make the cut :eek:
Those two were named guard alternates.

Also looks like they’re giving Westbeld another chance since she wasn’t able to attend trials.

Reaction Score
also the girl from SC! I feel sorry for ayanna but it's okey
Raven Johnson? who we were reassured by South Carolina fans would push Caitlin Clark to the 2G and Azzi to the bench?

Clark, Johnson, Pao Pao, and Miles (who is an alternate) makes Johnson the fifth PG in line.

Reaction Score
Raven Johnson? who we were reassured by South Carolina fans would push Caitlin Clark to the 2G and Azzi to the bench?

Clark, Johnson, Pao Pao, and Miles (who is an alternate) makes Johnson the fifth PG in line.
Miles is an alternate? Where did you read that?

Reaction Score

I remember only one SC fan making that assumption. Not making the team doesn’t make her second rate though. All of those PGs are very good and have college experience already including miles (although I didn’t see her listed as an alternate). Lexi Donarski is another fantastic PG and she didn’t make it either. More of an learning experience for Raven for what she has to prepare for in College.

A good thing for us SC fans is that it seems Feagin did pretty well this weekend considering she’s the only forward who’s made the team so far. Excited to watch her take advantage of this opportunity.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do the alternates go to the july training sessions?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
For the next 3 I have DeBerry, Reese and Wolfenbarger. Who you got?

I'd take Westbeld instead of Reese.

Some mulling on this one:

- Given Westbeld's combination inside-outside game and the slighly different lane, I think she's a natural for the international game. The multi-dimensional aspect of her game is a bonus. She and Clark could have a field day working together.

- Need a center to pare with Betts, so I think it's DeBerry vs Ware for another slot. Deberry played on that fine U16 team in Chile and would seem like a natural. Ware was the back-up center for Arizona.

- In the same vein, I think Reese and Wolfenbarger are two peas in a pod, playing for the "positonless" role of forward/guard/wing.

I'll go Westbeld, DeBerry and Reese.
(However, I wouldn't be surprised if Wolfenbarger gets chosen ahead of Reese.)

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Remember USA Basketball selects players based on who they think will make the best team, not necessarily the most talented players. Also can only have a X number of guards on a team even though the most talented players might be the guards. Usually on the U17 and U19 teams there are a couple of younger players that are chosen to make the team for future development over more experienced players.

Reaction Score
For the next 3 I have DeBerry, Reese and Wolfenbarger. Who you got?
I would definitely say Westbeld bc committee offered her a waiver even before the camp starting so they obviously knew regardless the talent pool at camp this week they were going to give her an opportunity. I'm sure the committee has an idea of who they want even before camp starts imo ..... the team is based on the best overall team not the best indivdual talent. I think we saw that with how Sam Brunelle was on the team for several years. Brunelle was a good fit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think college experience counts for something as well as previous USA experience.
I am going with Westbeld (she can pass and play inside/outside), Reese who was #2 prospect and has experience, and I am hopeful it’s DeBerry due to her previous USA stint. Lauren Ware is a nice player but never really impressed me in any particular game this year. Hearing she was a standout volleyball player, I thought I would see someone more lithe and agile who could jump, but alas she was not. And as a selfish Husky fan, give me Amari!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom