Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Breaking down the roster by Position of the invited Players.

PG: Caitlin Clark, Diamond Johnson, Raven Johnson, Olivia Miles, Te-hina Paopao, JerKaila Jordan
SG: Sonia Citron, Payton Verhulst, Azzi Fudd, Alexis Donarski, Greta Kampschroederm, Madison Layden, Jewel Spear
SF: Talia von Oelhoffen, Jersey Wolfenbarger, Brooke Demetre, Gabrielle Elliott
PF: Sania Feagin, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, Ayanna Patterson, Jordyn Merritt, Ugonne Onyiah
C: Lauren Betts, Amari DeBerry, Hannah Gusters, Sakima Walker

Bold Black are predicted starters.
Bold Orange are predictions to make the team.
Amazing how loaded the PG spot is. I think Reese makes the team over DeBerry, too.

Reaction Score
Are they allowing the uninvited to pay their own way or is Covid keeping the tryouts to invited only?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are they allowing the uninvited to pay their own way or is Covid keeping the tryouts to invited only?
The only age group USA basketball allows uninvited player is U16 that has always been the rule/practice.

Reaction Score

PG: Caitlin Clark, Diamond Johnson, Raven Johnson, Olivia Miles, Te-hina Paopao, JerKaila Jordan
SG: Sonia Citron, Payton Verhulst, Azzi Fudd, Alexis Donarski, Greta Kampschroederm, Madison Layden, Jewel Spear
PF: Sania Feagin, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, Ayanna Patterson, Jordyn Merritt, Ugonne Onyiah

I suppose it’s possible, but I’d be extremely surprised if Patterson, a player two classes behind Reese, makes it over Reese.

Reaction Score
Host country is Hungary and games will be in August. Here is the draw:

Happy uconn is represented on the U19 USA team,
However, the last time I saw Azzi Fuud, shooting, she was wearing a boot. And we've seen the post-operative scars on both knees. We don't need these kids beaten up before they perform for uconn.
We have a new strength/conditioning coach; let's listen to her.

Reaction Score
Hmm, the 4 and 5 positions do not have much USA experience. Betts and DeBerry are the only 2, and DeBerry was not particularly impressive.

My prediction:
PG: Clark, Miles
SG: Fudd, Citron
SF: Verhulst, Wolfenbarger
PF: Reese, Feagin
C: Betts, Gusters

That's only 10, but I'm not sure who they would put for the last 2. Maybe another PG and a versatile forward?

Reese and Gusters both have a year of college under their belts, so I think that will help them. This could be their first USA team after trying out multiple times.

Betts, Verhulst, and Citron were on the All-Tournament team in their u16 tourney. They were really good. Miles was the orchestrator for that wonderful team, and I think is the best pure PG out of the group. The last U19 Clark wasnt being played as a PG. So I wonder how they are going to play her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LOL Apparently the trials aren't needed.

The U-19 World Cup is a much higher level of competition than the U-16 FIBA Americas.

Reaction Score
LOL Apparently the trials aren't needed.

The U-19 World Cup is a much higher level of competition than the U-16 FIBA Americas.
Do you know what the word prediction means? Make your own or don't, and use reasoning behind your picks if you want. This is a discussion forum isn't it? I put Fudd on the team, so it should be applicable to this board.

LOL, cry me a river.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do you know what the word prediction means? Make your own or don't, and use reasoning behind your picks if you want. This is a discussion forum isn't it? I put Fudd on the team, so it should be applicable to this board.

LOL, cry me a river.
Have you seen Feagin play? When and where?

Have you seen Wolfenbarger play? When and where?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
However, the last time I saw Azzi Fuud, shooting, she was wearing a boot. And we've seen the post-operative scars on both knees. We don't need these kids beaten up before they perform for uconn.

The last I saw of Azzi, she and Paige were kicking butt in New York City and Alexandria, VA gyms.

Reaction Score
Have you seen Feagin play? When and where?

Have you seen Wolfenbarger play? When and where?
Nope, I sure haven't. Just highlight tapes on YouTube. Would you like the date and place in my house where I watched those?

If they are as good as their ranking is, than they have a shot at making the team. I haven't watched Greta or Brooke Demetre. I haven't watched Merritt, Onyiah, or Patterson. I'm just making a prediction, not proclaiming this is going to be the final team. I know that highly rated players have been left off the team before, I know it's possible and there will probably be some left off of this team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One wonders why Caroline didn’t get an invitation? Actually, I should have said “if”!
Apparently, based on Carl's article

Caroline Ducharme, turns 20 in November and is too old for the U-19 team

Checking, Nov 11. One day after my birthday. :)

And no need to worry. :)

“This is definitely a unique year for our committee after not getting to evaluate this age group of players in last summer’s U-18 trials and competition,” selection committee chairperson Jennifer Rizzotti said in a statement. “We do, however, feel confident that we've invited a very talented, diverse and exciting group of players. We’ve identified both some of the best college freshmen that make the age cut-off as well as some of the best high school players ready to make their mark.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suppose it’s possible, but I’d be extremely surprised if Patterson, a player two classes behind Reese, makes it over Reese.
Amazing how loaded the PG spot is. I think Reese makes the team over DeBerry, too.
Entirely possible that Reese makes the team over either Patterson or DeBerry or even Betts. Candidly I don't think that much of Reese's game. Reese fancies herself a point guard but in really she is a turnover machine with fiercely pouty attitude and poor body language-AKA exactly what USA basketball is not looking for. Amari on the other hand has the advantage of this being her third trials. While she did not make the team in her first attempt she did something very smart and gracious. Amari wrote the committee a letter thanking then for the opportunity-that goes a long way.

Reaction Score

Raven Johnson will be one of the PG's. Caitlin will be a 2G and Azzi might be her back up

Reaction Score
  • I have not seen that much of Feagin on tape recently to know if she'd start. Do you think she's that much better/advanced than Angel Reese?
Without bias I would say Feagin has a better overall skill set than Reese. Her back to the basket and face up game is the more refined of the two but I love Reese’s creativity and finishing around the rim on her layups. I think she could be a leader for this team if she made it but as @CocoHusky said she has to work on her attitude and on court body language. When Maryland was playing Texas it was very evident from the viewers at home. I think it comes from a good place of compassion and competitive spirit but she must channel that and turn it into a positive look because right now it looks more negative than anything.

Reaction Score
Entirely possible that Reese makes the team over either Patterson or DeBerry or even Betts. Candidly I don't think that much of Reese's game. Reese fancies herself a point guard but in really she is a turnover machine with fiercely pouty attitude and poor body language-AKA exactly what USA basketball is not looking for. Amari on the other hand has the advantage of this being her third trials. While she did not make the team in her first attempt she did something very smart and gracious. Amari wrote the committee a letter thanking then for the opportunity-that goes a long way.
Must be a pretty low bar for “turnover machine” if 22 TOs in 15 games are enough to qualify. That’s a lower per-game rate than basically every contributor on UConn’s roster except for Griffin.

Agreed on the body language, but I think some on this board tend to linger on what they heard about Reese’s behavior in HS and ignore all the games last season where she was the team’s biggest cheerleader while injured. (And even when she was playing.)

Reaction Score
killjoy

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Must be a pretty low bar for “turnover machine” if 22 TOs in 15 games are enough to qualify. That’s a lower per-game rate than basically every contributor on UConn’s roster except for Griffin.

Agreed on the body language, but I think some on this board tend to linger on what they heard about Reese’s behavior in HS and ignore all the games last season where she was the team’s biggest cheerleader while injured. (And even when she was playing.)
Angel only averaged 15 mpg so to compare, at least double. TO's

bballnut90

Reaction Score
....did you watch her at all at Maryland this season? Literally none of what you describe lines up with how she played.

Reaction Score
Fair, but Maryland’s pace was pretty fast, too. More possessions than normal. Edwards is probably her closest comp on UConn and Reese averaged one TO every 10.2 MPG and one assist every 13.2 MPG. For Edwards, it was one TO every 11.1 MPG and one assist every 24.3 MPG.

ONO was very impressive with how she took care of the ball and shared the wealth.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It's an average of 1 TO every 10 minutes which is about the same frequency as Aaliyah Edwards. Would you dub her a turnover machine?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom