Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fudd, DeBerry and Patterson Invited to USA BB U-19 Trials

Reaction Score
9 selected:
Lauren Betts, Sonia Citron, Caitlin Clark, Sania Feagin, Azzi Fudd, Diamond Johnson, Te-hina PaoPao, Jewel Spear, and Payton Verhulst.

5 finalists for final 3 spots:
Amari DeBerry, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, Maddy Westbeld, and Jersey Wolfenbarger.
Wouldn't folks think Deberry gets the nod if Betts is the only C in the current 9...

Reaction Score
When they select the team, and the team plays games....are any of them televised? Or is this Latvian radio channels only?
FIBA usually streams them all live and replay on Youtube. If by televised you mean over the air then no.

Reaction Score
I remember only one SC fan making that assumption. Not making the team doesn’t make her second rate though. All of those PGs are very good and have college experience already including miles (although I didn’t see her listed as an alternate). Lexi Donarski is another fantastic PG and she didn’t make it either. More of an learning experience for Raven for what she has to prepare for in College.

A good thing for us SC fans is that it seems Feagin did pretty well this weekend considering she’s the only forward who’s made the team so far. Excited to watch her take advantage of this opportunity.
yeah Im uconn fan but I like SC ,and I said that I was chocked cause she didn't make the team , but yeah may be it's good for her to take rest Im not gonna lie but I wished if azzi didn't play also but wish them all the best ♥️

Reaction Score
Lauren Ware is a center, so there is a choice.
Not sure it will make a difference (it shouldn’t) but Ware plays for Adia Barnes who is an assistant coach for this team. This would be invaluable experience for a player that struggled to play up to her ranking in her freshman year. I’m thinking DeBerry should have the edge but, who knows?

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I also wonder if Lauren Ware misses this preseason, if that'll be her done with Arizona volleyball. She chose basketball over volleyball this year (and had to because the seasons ran simultaneously) and their coach was supportive, but from everything I've read she was on board for the full season this fall.

Reaction Score
Remember USA Basketball selects players based on who they think will make the best team, not necessarily the most talented players. Also can only have a X number of guards on a team even though the most talented players might be the guards. Usually on the U17 and U19 teams there are a couple of younger players that are chosen to make the team for future development over more experienced players.
Absolutely. They need to look ahead to the U18 team next year. FIBA really has the rotation all wrong; it should be U16-U18 and U17-U19 so that basically the same team can play together for four years. That’s how a national team should be developed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not sure it will make a difference (it shouldn’t) but Ware plays for Adia Barnes who is an assistant coach for this team. This would be invaluable experience for a player that struggled to play up to her ranking in her freshman year. I’m thinking DeBerry should have the edge but, who knows?
Barnes is the AC for the Americup team not U19.

Reaction Score
It is definitely DeBerry vs Ware for backup center. I wont lie in saying that I didnt think it would come down to these two for the backup center. I think it speaks a lot to how hard both players have worked, and I wouldn't be surprised if either gets the spot.

I wondered why Westbeld wasnt invited considering her fantastic freshman year, but things make sense now. I think she has a very versatile playstyle, and she is more polished than most. I'm not sure if she will make the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with that struggle part. Ware was ranked 26 by ESPN just one spot below Mir and two spots below Aaliyah Edwards. I say she performed about where she was expected.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with that struggle part. Ware was ranked 26 by ESPN just one spot below Mir and two spots below Aaliyah Edwards. I say she performed about where she was expected.
I disagree. She played 4 less minutes per game than AE on a team where she was by far the most talented big and averaged 4 pts and 4 rbds. I guarantee AE would have averaged more minutes on that team than she did with the Huskies and likely would have averaged 12 and 8 at least. Ware was 26 and AE was 23. I would expect a player ranked three spots behind AE, playing on a team that needed her badly, to do a little better than 16 minutes, 4 points and 4 boards, especially on the rebounding as she played on a team that missed a lot of shots. Regardless of that, however, the point I was making was that Amari may be battling more than just their respective playing abilities in trying to secure a spot on that team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure it will make a difference (it shouldn’t) but Ware plays for Adia Barnes who is an assistant coach for this team

Regardless of that, however, the point I was making was that Amari may be battling more than just their respective playing abilities in trying to secure a spot on that team.

According to the USA Women's Basketball Press Release that came out about the selections and finalists, I don't see Adia Barnes listed as affiliated with this version of the U-19 Team. UCLA HC Cori Close is the head coach. And, then, I quote:

"College head coaches Aaron Johnston from South Dakota State University and Joni Taylor from the University of Georgia are assistant coaches for this year’s U19 squad."

In addition to Jen Rizzotti, the USA Junior National Team Selection Committee includes Temple University head coach Tonya Cardoza; 2008 Olympic gold medalist and Duke University head coach Kara Lawson; and North Carolina State University head coach Wes Moore.

So, I'm not sure Ms. Ware will be the beneficiary of any administrative linkages that I can see (that is what you were inferring, no?).

If anything, I think Amari DeBerry's presence and play on that USA u-16 team in Chile would ring a bell with selection committees. In this case, I'm thinking the days in July will make the difference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree. She played 4 less minutes per game than AE on a team where she was by far the most talented big and averaged 4 pts and 4 rbds. I guarantee AE would have averaged more minutes on that team than she did with the Huskies and likely would have averaged 12 and 8 at least. Ware was 26 and AE was 23. I would expect a player ranked three spots behind AE, playing on a team that needed her badly, to do a little better than 16 minutes, 4 points and 4 boards, especially on the rebounding as she played on a team that missed a lot of shots. Regardless of that, however, the point I was making was that Amari may be battling more than just their respective playing abilities in trying to secure a spot on that team.
All correct but that could also suggest AE out performed her ranking and Ware performed up to her ranking. Remember many of us thought AE was severely under ranked. ESPN ignored AE for a long time and then finally stuck her in at 23.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom