FSU Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

FSU Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
Not usually. The NCAA guidelines say "Generally, if a coach misses a game or limited amount of games due to a temporary illness ... the wins or losses by the team in his or her absence will usually go to the head coach." However, the guidelines also say that the specific school can make that determination, but I have been under the impression that all the wins during Geno's tenure have been credited to him (the 1,000 win achievement, for example, included Dailey wins). I can be wrong; it has happened (on some incredibly rare instances).
Thanks for shedding more light on it.
Maybe this discussion has happened before regarding this topic and I forgot.
If that's the case then Daily doesn't own any wins and her record isn't 14-0.
Both coaches can't be attributed with the wins.
I guess that only the UConn administration would know for sure how they handle it.
Maybe some wins belong to her and others don't.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
In my mind, ALL the UConn wins during Geno's tenure can be attributed to both him and Chris, regardless of what the NCAA and/or UConn ledgers say.
I'm trying to find where I read about it before.
I think that at one point she was credited with 6 wins or so, but not all.
But I gaven't located it in a search.
There may have been an article written about it in the past.
She could have an official W-L record that's not 0-0.

sun

Reaction Score
Not usually. The NCAA guidelines say "Generally, if a coach misses a game or limited amount of games due to a temporary illness ... the wins or losses by the team in his or her absence will usually go to the head coach." However, the guidelines also say that the specific school can make that determination, but I have been under the impression that all the wins during Geno's tenure have been credited to him (the 1,000 win achievement, for example, included Dailey wins). I can be wrong; it has happened (on some incredibly rare instances).
At least some of her wins came when Gemo was under suspension by UConn in 1989.
That was a topic that has been discussed on rhe BY.
I recall bringing it up.
The article below may not be referring to her official record.
But Geno couldn't have earned wins when he was under suspension by UConn.
I think that it's importance is that her official W-L record is part of her professional resume as well as Geno's.

From a Courant article dated March 16, 2021 titled:

Five things to know about Chris Dailey as she takes over as UConn women’s basketball head coach for two NCAA Tournament games

She’s unbeaten as a head coach

UConn is 10-0 under Dailey. “I don’t think you can get a coach that has a better record in the tournament than she does,” Auriemma said Monday night. In 1989, she coached UConn to the team’s first Big East title while Auriemma served a suspension due to a scheduling issue. In 1997, she coached the Huskies to another Big East title after Auriemma’s father died. In 2018-19, she coached two regular-season games against Wichita State and Tulsa when Auriemma was ill and another game in 2019-20 against Oklahoma while Auriemma recovered from surgery to alleviate symptoms caused by diverticulitis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The technical foul on FSU was really strange. I’m shocked Brooke Wykoff kept her cool so well because that was a horrible call.
I'm guessing the "T" was for some form of verbal referee abuse. The same sort of
thing occurred in the WORLD CUP FINAL with a member of the French (?) bench
getting a yellow card... and they were not even on the field! Usually the sideline
official hears the abuse and tells the Ref, and the yellow card is issued. Maybe
it was not so strange. Note: teams can lose games on that swing of free throws
and loss of possession. Not Smart on somebody's part.

Reaction Score
I believe that one of the FSU bench players said something that she shouldn't have to the official after he had called FSU for two lane violations on the missed free throws by AE and then hits the 4th free throw. He pointed at one of the players after he T'd them up.
I agree. The coach heard her player's comment. That's why she didn't object to the T.

Reaction Score
Brain fart! I was using my memory, not as good as I once was.:rolleyes:
Actually, one of the lane violations was SO obvious -- AE BACKED AWAY FROM THE LANE and cut around BEHIND the violator toward the rim, so the violator wasn't even attempting to cut AE off.

Reaction Score
Thanks for shedding more light on it.
Maybe this discussion has happened before regarding this topic and I forgot.
If that's the case then Daily doesn't own any wins and her record isn't 14-0.
Both coaches can't be attributed with the wins.
I guess that only the UConn administration would know for sure how they handle it.
Maybe some wins belong to her and others don't.
This all makes a difference in Geno's chase of Tara for most wins all-time.

Reaction Score
Well many fans wanted bigs and now we have them. What we need are shooters and ball handlers. We still have over 50 pts sitting on the bench. We get Azzi back at some point which will be huge. Im hoping before the South Carolina game. I believe Christmas is about 3 weeks out for Azzi. We were told 3-6 weeks before she can come back. Im not so sure about that based on everybody else coming back later then expected. First we need to get healthy and hopefully the Christmas break helps. Until then we have to figure out a way to not put ourselves in positions of picking up our dribble, which has led to poor passes, and TO's. I expect defenses to pressure the ball against us and key on Lou and Edwards. That means we need to run plays for Caroline Aubrey and everybody else. Setting pics and screens for Lou will help too. Next up Seton Hall and that wont be easy . When you look at our rebounds and shooting percentage we look really good. I would expect Geno will call Chris and tell her how to run practices and then the Christmas break. Get Well Geno.
Agreed that Nika seemed like the only option for bring up the ball. They quickly doubled her at the half-court line and she picked up her dribble much too often. The other part of this very often played set was our two bigs ran to set up a double high post. We were an easy read and started the offense too far away from the hoop much like practice plays. We do need more solid picks for our 3 point shooters.

We failed to penetrate except when Edwards quickly drove to the hoop for easy lay-ups. Edwards was Hugh. Our guard play was passive, perhaps a result of a limited bench and NIka coming off of protocol. FL read our defnsive posture for this game very well and responded hitting threes and drives. We did not adjust and seemed to settle for an early 20 point lead trying to run down the clock much as one would at the 4 minute mark. Giving our bench a few more minutes might have helped along with a different defensive look at times.

Reaction Score
Wish CD finds her shot soon because it is really not even close when she shoots the ball right now. Her misses are all over the place, left, right, short, long, no pattern to them at all. Other than that she played OK.

I thought her Defense was more of a concern. Something‘s not right with her and I wonder if she is still playing hurt.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agreed that Nika seemed like the only option for bring up the ball. They quickly doubled her at the half-court line and she picked up her dribble much too often. The other part of this very often played set was our two bigs ran to set up a double high post. We were an easy read and started the offense too far away from the hoop much like practice plays. We do need more solid picks for our 3 point shooters.

We failed to penetrate except when Edwards quickly drove to the hoop for easy lay-ups. Edwards was Hugh. Our guard play was passive, perhaps a result of a limited bench and NIka coming off of protocol. FL read our defnsive posture for this game very well and responded hitting threes and drives. We did not adjust and seemed to settle for an early 20 point lead trying to run down the clock much as one would at the 4 minute mark. Giving our bench a few more minutes might have helped along with a different defensive look at times.
What bench would that be? Ines turned her ankle in practice and Amari left the court limping last game. Ayanna seemed somewhat overwhelmed in the minutes she did play. Aubrey appeared to hurt her hand during the game but still played 17 minutes.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't think FSU was at all like coach Abe's mean-spirited teams. They are scrappy competitors -- with a side of flopping -- but not at all mean-spirited. I noticed a few Huskies sustained some unwhistled face injuries in the second quarter, but these were just accidental effects of how scrappy FSU is.
Are you confusing Florida State with UCF? We haven't played FSU since November of 2016 (Pretty Sure), so we don't really know their style of play, but those who refer to Coach Abe may forget that she was coach at UCF, the team we played in the second game of last year's tourney.

Reaction Score
Are you confusing Florida State with UCF? We haven't played FSU since November of 2016 (Pretty Sure), so we don't really know their style of play, but those who refer to Coach Abe may forget that she was coach at UCF, the team we played in the second game of last year's tourney.
No. I wasn’t confused. Some posts in this thread seemed to me to imply that FSU played like an Abe coached team. I was respectfully disagreeing.

But thank you for the history lesson, even if I didn’t need it. Others might.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't think FSU was at all like coach Abe's mean-spirited teams. They are scrappy competitors -- with a side of flopping -- but not at all mean-spirited. I noticed a few Huskies sustained some unwhistled face injuries in the second quarter, but these were just accidental effects of how scrappy FSU is.
I agree. They played hard and physical but they didn't play dirty.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I am a HUGE Caroline fan and have patiently for her to get going. She might not be scoring 20 25 points in a game like last year, but she still contributes in an important way for the team. Maybe nobody will know how much the concussions she suffered hurt her. I believe she is trying very hard to help the team but is probably frustrated that she is not doing more. CAROLINE still has a brilliant future in front of her. She just needs a little more time, and I believe she will be the CAROLINE she was last year. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!
Ducharme averaged just under 10 ppg last year. Yesterday she scored just under 10 points with 7 rebounds. I thought she had a very good game. Considering that she is coming off an injury, maybe some fans are expecting too much from her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
In the 1st half of the game Edwards dominated, scoring at will. UConn attempted 8 shots from outside, In the 3rd quarter they attempted only one allowing FSU defenders to swarm Edwards denying her the ball. She had few touches in the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter UConn went back to taking some outside shots (7) but they could not make them.

Incidentally, perennial turnover team Tennessee has better turnover stats this year (UT 14.9 - UConn 17.2) than UConn. When has that ever happened?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Video review is killing sports in general. I'm of the mind that over the long haul any errors in officiating even out. Reviews should be limited to less than 30 seconds. That's enough time to see it replayed a few times and if it's inconclusive after staring at the thing for 30 seconds, then you carry on.
I was at the game and when I saw the play live I thought that Muhl had thrown a high elbow. When I got home, we watched the game and from the camera perspective it was obvious that she did not. Good for the video review to allow the refs to make the right call.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought her Defense was more of a concern. Something‘s not right with her and I wonder if she is still playing hurt.
Did you not take note of both Geno's comments and her own in the Friday (12/16) "media availability"? They both confirmed that she has physical limitations that she did not have last year, and that it will take a while before those limitations are overcome.

So of course she is still "playing hurt" in that sense. I think that does affect her 3-point shooting. I watched the game live and again on replay, and did not notice any significant defensive lapses. Can you elaborate on what you are referring to?

Reaction Score
Someone please tell Dorka she is allowed to jump so she stops having her shots blocked !

Reaction Score
I thought our beloved coach CD made a strategic error by pulling Dorka and Caroline and putting Aubrey and Ayanna in. Aubrey reverted to two years ago and just stood on the perimeter; Ayanna couldn’t handle the slapping at the ball and got flustered. Florida State went on a run, then was able to regroup mentally and settle in.
Couldn’t agree more Nan. It was not a good time for CD to take her foot off the gas. Uconn really fell apart after that, they did somewhat regroup and hung on for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom