FSU Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

FSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This isn't last year.

Butler is much improved. I think that Crystal is going to see a lot more minutes.

Is it that KLS has a target on her back now? Looks as though she's getting a lot more attention, now that The Big Three are gone.

Too much tentative play. Everyone's looking around for someone else to make the play. Too much one-on-one play, which is the opposite of UConn basketball.

Lucky to be down just four at the half.

We need to adjust to a new team and a new year. It's going to be a tough one....

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
They are not making moves to the basket, and getting the players the ball. Not much in fast break plays either.
Not much in rebounding.
Down by 4 playing like that hopefully can result in a good turn around. No fouls on KLS or Gabby for awhile, although I think FSU will try to go right at them.

Reaction Score
Kia has got to score ,Gabby,Lou have too be careful about fouling..Natalie looked tired before half time ,however I thought she and Chrystal played decently.Uconn can not afford a injury for sure this year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Getting killed on the boards as well. FSU shooting 27% and winning. Yuck

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spacing and movement are poor.

Rebounding is weak.

Ball handling is iffy.

Shooting is off.

I think Natalie looked pretty good. Crystal had some good plays. Molly had a nice pass. Napheesa did some good things, but forced her way into the paint too much. She needs to pull up from 15'. Three fouls on Gabby and Lou are tough!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few thoughts (especially to folks who thought it would be a 25-30 point win)... The game is 40 minutes. UCONN has struggled in the first half. Lou has not shot well. Gabby has had foul trouble. And yet we are tied at 30 with about a minute left in the half. My point is - Geno will have some choice words and adjustments at half time. I believe no one in the game is better than him at that. Having said that, it's the first game of the season. Some of these kids are not quite ready and are learning trial by fire. The team is playing ugly and not "UCONN" basketball. Give some credit to FSU. (you think this is bad, wait till Baylor).

I will be VERY Interested to see how they come out in the 2nd half and what adjustments Geno is able to make that the team actually follows...
Geno can live with mistakes but he will certainly say something about the lack of hustle - not going after loose balls, etc. FSU has more energy and is out-working the Huskies right now. I suspect some steamy words on that topic.

The turnovers are killers. As poorly as they're playing, they'd probably have the lead if they'd stop throwing away the ball. I expect the TOs will get better as they play together more but, man, they're tough to watch.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Ten combined fouls in the first half by Williams/Samuelson/Collier/Chong is a few too many. Collier had a nice offensive half. Lou was kind of cold; I think she might be pressing a little bit right now, but I'm sure she'll round into form before too long.

Butler came in and really stopped the bleeding in the paint, especially on the defensive glass. Given how few meaningful minutes she played last year, I don't think anybody could have expected more from her than what she just showed.

A couple nice flashes from Dangerfield. That spin move she pulled off for her second basket was a thing of beauty. You can see how special she's going to be.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The halftime review spoke about The UConn's lack of committing turnovers and fast break points. All true. What wasn't mentioned is the lack of cohesion, creativity and shot making in their half court offense. KLS has missed some easy ones, air balled some others and Kia seems unwilling to shoot. Defensively they haven't done that bad despite their lack of size, not creating turnovers, and committing fouls. But as I've said before the season starts, teams are going to pound the ball inside. This team cannot afford to foul because of the short bench. Molly should see more minutes instead of Chong in the 2nd half. They can beat these guys, but it won't be easy. Gabby and KLS must play better in the 2nd half.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
WHatever happens happens. Geno and Company on focusing on the kids they have on the team, not those who are gone. In the long run, experience and adversity could be good for the team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'd start Butler in the 2nd half and bring Gabby off the bench when Natalie needs a breather. Need Gabby in the 4th quarter.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As fans once we get used to our new team not being "The ones to beat", we can sit back and enjoy the basketball. We are going to be in a lot of close hotly contested games this year! Also, I'm curious to see which of the top teams takes the ball and runs with it. Baylor, TX, ND. An interesting season on the way.

Reaction Score
Yep, TOs and being out-run on top of it. Ugh!

I'm more concerned about defense. Usually UConn's offense runs off it's defense. How is FSU scoring? Outside? Inside? Or both?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In watching the preseason replays , I saw a team that looked Top 20 rather than Top 5 at this point in time. This is why I picked them to go 0-2 in the poll.

They don't have a huge edge in talent over other good teams like they have almost every year, they are young and they have next to no experience as a unit - presently constructed.

That said, it's not a matter of "complaining" , it's just observation. They could very well bounce back and take this game! Or maybe not ! We have to wait and see! They could even go 2-0 and prove me wrong ! (Baylor will be tough, though....) That's the fun of this year.

As I said in a thread last week(?), this team is going to have to travel much further up and along the learning curve this year than a UCONN team has had to go in a long time. New roles; new leaders; new players. It's all in flux and will be for awhile. Which is OK! Geno will grouse but he will also assuage. He will be impatient and then patient, depending on the needs of the moment. It's not an awesome team - but it's a team that could be pretty darned good by March.

I'll sit back and enjoy the second half now :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Defense isn't the problem. FSU has 10 more FG attempts and 6 more free throws. UConn can't rebound or run offense without turning it over.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I need to see a little more Bria developed in Kia.

Ugh...that was a horrible TO and foul committed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a good challenge for Uconn: is now time for an identity to spring forth organically? Whose moment is it in a game like this?

Reaction Score
Geno needs to get nurse off the court because she is doing nothing in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom