Frustrated | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Frustrated

Reaction Score
Well, we'll just agree to disagee. I think they're better and I think that played out a lot today. We did plenty to shoot out own foot off. The way it was played we had our chances to win the game, too. But they forced Gilbert and Adams into those situations. They slagged our bigs all night. They made guys like Vital do what they don't do well.

I just wasn't looking at this as a must-win is all. I would be happy with our proving that we belonged and we really did that today, so i'm still pretty sunny side up at this point - even moreso than before the game. That's all.
Fair enough, I just think you're overrating Zona's talent. Brandon Randolph is a very good talent at shooting guard and Chase Jeter is a solid post with really good fundamentals, their next two best players are transfers from Samford and Pitt.

Reaction Score
We definitely need patience but looking at our squad, I certainly see a team that could not only make the tourney, but make a run in it. We need continued improvement from our bigs, and more importantly, our guards and wings (Al and Sid in particular) need to find their place and get into a rhythm. Alterique being fully back and comfortable as an alpha is probably more critical than anything else. If he was decent yesterday, we win. If he played well, we win comfortably.
Are you referring to the NIT or the CBI? The NCAA tournament is a pipedream.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hate to tell you but wrong. He’s too smart and too talented to be living off of the past. He’s on his own now and it’s time to change.... anyone believing this is because of KO never played the game. Man up time for Jalen.

I don't know about how smart he is (literally no idea), but talent is meaningless without the right mentality. The battlefield is littered with the bodies of talented men, bested by tougher men.

Anyone who's worked in any kind of organization knows that things generally flow from the top. Leaders set the tone. Take the military. The tougher, stricter, more disciplined the commander, the tighter, tougher, more disciplined the unit he commands.. The more disciplined the unit, the more effective in battle. Loose troops lose lives.

Of course Jalen owns some responsibility, no body is claiming otherwise. But you can't make up 3+ years of loose play and little accountability in a scant few months. Not realistic imo.

The reality is that players reflect their coach. That goes for professionals too (see BB and the Pats). But especially so at the developmental levels. See how JC imparted his will on his players and made them tougher, made them into men. If you are allowed to be lazy, you quite often do, and everyone else on the team is probably doing it too, which compounds the issue in one giant feedback loop.

I guarantee if Jalen had spent 3+ years under Calhoun, he would be an entirely different player.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You happen to pick a guy there I have a real affinity for. If AJP was not both sick and injured, he would be on the Bazz/Kemba/El-Amin level. I also believe we would have won another title. Kid was more explosive coming out of high school than he ever showed at UCONN. So yeah, AJP is a better bball player as a whole.

I think he has more offensive talent than Boat, and I'm not knocking Boat. I just think Boat's will makes him equal. You could say Boat is the better all around player--he's on Ricky's level defensively-- but he can't really dime like Adam's can (when he wants to). Boat was def a pure scoring (short) two guard. Adam's is not phenomenal at running the point, but def better than Boat imo.

I just think it's a really tough comp to hold all our guards to Bazz/Kemba level. Those guys are GOATs, and made themselves that way by developing. It's kinda rare actually.

I'm also wondering what he'd be like if he had Hurley or JC from Day 1.

As much talk about guys who shouldn’t be on a UConn team on this roster, starting Craig freaking Austrie in a FF did them in as much as anything. Dude was just completely outclassed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only on page 3, but it seems those bashing on Gilbert might be forgetting he may have been playing with a low grade concussion and seeing three baskets after that fall. Sure, the ref went over to see how he was, but that was the equivalent of the "how many fingers?" test.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As much talk about guys who shouldn’t be on a UConn team on this roster, starting Craig freaking Austrie in a FF did them in as much as anything. Dude was just completely outclassed.

Great kid, but yes, he was a solid 5th guard.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, I just think you're overrating Zona's talent. Brandon Randolph is a very good talent at shooting guard and Chase Jeter is a solid post with really good fundamentals, their next two best players are transfers from Samford and Pitt.

2 five stars and 5 other top 100 kids. Probably the least talented Zona team in a decade but still more talented on paper than us. I think we have 3 top 100 kids and Sid hasn't really played. We need to get our talent right.

Reaction Score
2 five stars and 5 other top 100 kids. Probably the least talented Zona team in a decade but still more talented on paper than us. I think we have 3 top 100 kids and Sid hasn't really played. We need to get our talent right.
Who is Arizona's other five star besides Jeter?

Reaction Score
I don't know about how smart he is (literally no idea), but talent is meaningless without the right mentality. The battlefield is littered with the bodies of talented men, bested by tougher men.

Anyone who's worked in any kind of organization knows that things generally flow from the top. Leaders set the tone. Take the military. The tougher, stricter, more disciplined the commander, the tighter, tougher, more disciplined the unit he commands.. The more disciplined the unit, the more effective in battle. Loose troops lose lives.

Of course Jalen owns some responsibility, no body is claiming otherwise. But you can't make up 3+ years of loose play and little accountability in a scant few months. Not realistic imo.

The reality is that players reflect their coach. That goes for professionals too (see BB and the Pats). But especially so at the developmental levels. See how JC imparted his will on his players and made them tougher, made them into men. If you are allowed to be lazy, you quite often do, and everyone else on the team is probably doing it too, which compounds the issue in one giant feedback loop.

I guarantee if Jalen had spent 3+ years under Calhoun, he would be an entirely different player.

Sorry disagree on this one. Easily for him to change if he so desires or he’s a good basketball player with a solid understanding he’s just who he is no matter who’s coaching as we can see.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But Jalen has been improving and coachable. Maybe not as fast as we would like (and his time is running out) But He just had a bad game. Mostly because their perimeter defense was good. That frustrated all our guards.
Our defense was not great. Not consistent. That bothered me.
While I was disappointed to see them revert to poor form, I think some are making too big a deal of it. We are improving and fast.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sorry disagree on this one. Easily for him to change if he so desires or he’s a good basketball player with a solid understanding he’s just who he is no matter who’s coaching as we can see.

Man, then coaches are effectively not important in sports vis a vis development? Who would have thunk it?

If it was that easy, everybody would do it.

Reaction Score
Man, then coaches are effectively not important in sports vis a vis development? Who would have thunk it?

If it was that easy, everybody would do it.

C’mon you said he’s coachable didn’t you? What’s Hurley coaching him to do? He’s 22 time to take it upon yourself to lead and make better decisions. It wasn’t just him and it’s not at all on him only but we need our best player to play smarter. Not asking him to make shots or anything else, the missed 3’s are fine the TOs are not. Amazes me anyone would believe he is still doing this because of KO.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This game was there for the taking and any time we could have taken it we shot ourselves in the foot. Our guards have a pretty big rep around here but they were hugely disappointing. Alterique had an awful game, as did Vital and Smith but I'm most disappointed with Jalen. He always gets his points but he's a senior and has yet to make the leap. Still the lazy plays, still looks gassed all the time, and just doesn't make the plays when the game is on the line. I love the kid and glad he stayed but I just feel many here overrate him. A bigtime player makes the and 1 at the end, instead we walk away with one point. He wanted no part of that first ft.

The good, we compete. Cobb can score against big teams frontcourts. Sid is the best athlete on the team. Polley can hit big shots.

There was just too much bad for us to win a game that was there for the taking today.

This is your KO style. Was he in the house?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
C’mon you said he’s coachable didn’t you? What’s Hurley coaching him to do? He’s 22 time to take it upon yourself to lead and make better decisions. It wasn’t just him and it’s not at all on him only but we need our best player to play smarter. Not asking him to make shots or anything else, the missed 3’s are fine the TOs are not. Amazes me anyone would believe he is still doing this because of KO.

We are totally in agreement he should play smarter. Where we differ is that I think bad habits are more ingrained than you do. Fine, we can agree to disagree there. But I do notice that the players who've been around the longest have the same sloppy habits (Vital/Jalen).

And yes, I've said he's coachable. Where I think we also disagree is the amount of time it takes to break those habits. Were Hurley to have Jalen 2 years, I think you'd see a marked difference in year 2. I'm hoping that change kicks in by the end of year 1.

Coaches mold players at this level. Generally not players themselves.

And again, I'm not totally absolving the player. Just think you are underselling the impact of three years of no accountability.

Reaction Score
Turnovers are still our main problem. Not surprising. We've played 3 years of cement shoes half court basketball. Now that we're playing fast again, we're turning the ball over way too much. Right now, our biggest challenge is re-learning how to play fast without turning over the basketball. It'll come. This is a tourney team.
We had 1 ball handler and it would have been even uglier if we tried to press. We still have flaws but nearly as many as the last few years.
It is the overall energy this year that impresses me both from the players and the coach.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sure but people need to stop comparing us to last year, we absolutely blew last year and we don't anymore. They should have an advantage down low and we should have an advantage at guard. The game was at home between two equal teams, we don't constantly shoot ourselves in the foot and it's a W.

Anyone with a pulse blew us out last year so we can stop comparing us to them. We know how much better we are now.

It seems that The 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams have essentially the same personnel. So quite a bit may be gleaned for comparing the notion that anyone with a pulse blew UConn out last year vs. a 4 point loss this year.

Just a thought...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It seems to me that The 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams have essentially the same personnel.
Although Saturday did not show it, a healthy Alterique alone is a very big change in personnel imo. And I believe Sid will prove to be a major addition also. Yes, both were on the roster last season, but one didn't play at all and the other never played again after 11/25/17.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Although Saturday did not show it, a healthy Alterique alone is a very big change in personnel imo. And I believe Sid will prove to be a major addition also. Yes, both were on the roster last season, but one didn't play at all and the other never played again after 11/25/17.
I don't see how you think this strengthens the argument. Both Wilson and Gilbert had virtually the same availability up to a similar point of both seasons.

The difference is their availability going forward this year is far more optimistic...and coaching.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure but people need to stop comparing us to last year, we absolutely blew last year and we don't anymore. They should have an advantage down low and we should have an advantage at guard. The game was at home between two equal teams, we don't constantly shoot ourselves in the foot and it's a W.

Anyone with a pulse blew us out last year so we can stop comparing us to them. We know how much better we are now.
That is exactly why the comparison is still helpful and relevant. This is mostly the same personal. Yakwe isn't a game changer by any stretch of the imagination and, while I think Brendan will be a good player for us, his contribution is minimal. The availability of Sid maybe the key difference for us, but he rusty as all heck right now.

So it is good to remember just how profoundly bad we were so that we can look at losses like this and realize that it is progress. Disappointing progress, but progress nonetheless.

#trusttheprocess

Reaction Score
That is exactly why the comparison is still helpful and relevant. This is mostly the same personal. Yakwe isn't a game changer by any stretch of the imagination and, while I think Brendan will be a good player for us, his contribution is minimal. The availability of Sid maybe the key difference for us, but he rusty as all heck right now.

So it is good to remember just how profoundly bad we were so that we can look at losses like this and realize that it is progress. Disappointing progress, but progress nonetheless.

#trusttheprocess
I love B Adams. He’s had some freshman moments lately but you can see what’s there as potential. This team is good. Are they tournament good? As of this moment no. But when they gel together I think they can make a run for it.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the NIT or the CBI? The NCAA tournament is a pipedream.
NCAA at large seems shaky right now yes, will be "in play" if beat FSU or Nova. Also AAC tourney might be wide open this year so that is route 2 to NCAA.

The NIT would be a disappointing consolation but Hurley & Co would accept the challenge to make a run to MSG. Any other post-season tourney is a waste of time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see how you think this strengthens the argument. Both Wilson and Gilbert had virtually the same availability up to a similar point of both seasons.

The difference is their availability going forward this year is far more optimistic...and coaching.

But Alterique was not remotely healthy last year, right out the gate. Looked a shell of himself. They were holding him back to get a bigger more supportive brace at one point...it was only a matter of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom