Frustrated | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Frustrated

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somewhere between being happy with the quick progress given how far the program fell and being upset that we lost a very winnable game, the truth lies . . .
Bingo.

For me, the net takeaway was positive, primarily because the energy is palpably improved in all respects. It was a great Sunday afternoon.

I've attended the Iowa and Arizona games so far this season, so I am 0-2. Yet I am looking forward to my next chance to attend a game. It feels good again.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Bingo.

For me, the net takeaway was positive, primarily because the energy is palpably improved in all respects. It was a great Sunday afternoon.

I've attended the Iowa and Arizona games so far this season, so I am 0-2. Yet I am looking forward to my next chance to attend a game. It feels good again.

Was going to see if you wanted to go with me Wednesday.

Now Im not. Youre a mush.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Admittedly, my defense, turnovers and free throws were pretty pathetic.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Ok can we stop being delusional for two seconds? This team still has habits from Ollie’s years. They aren’t a tournament team over night. I’ve said this from day 1. They can sneak in during the AAC tourney but def not a tournament team. If you’re looking at the “long haul” UConn is gunna be a powerhouse starting next year. The recruits saw how loud XL can get. It wasn’t a blow out so it didn’t turn off recruits. They saw a coach they’d wanna play for. You can’t go from being numb to 30 point losses last year then complain they don’t play well enough. Enjoy the ride. It’s a process. It’s very unfair to the kids on that team to demand immediate NCAA tournament berth after what happened. I’m happy with this team.
So what they are not a tournament team but that is not an excuse for them lacking discipline. The guards especially Gilbert today where awful. He turned the ball over repeatedly trying to score instead of passing. He cost them this game today. I think Hurley needs to tighten the reins a little bit.

Reaction Score
Team is sadly lacking in skill. I agree with those who say Jalen is a role player on the good UConn teams. Nobody else starts. Two guys with possible upsides are Wilson and Gilbert but both need to work hArd to get there

Reaction Score
Team is sadly lacking in skill. I agree with those who say Jalen is a role player on the good UConn teams. Nobody else starts. Two guys with possible upsides are Wilson and Gilbert but both need to work hArd to get there
On the very best UConn teams, Jalen is the second best player.

Gilbert is the 6th man brought in to change pace and bring Jalen off the ball (a la Kemba 2009).
Wilson the talented rookie who gets spot minutes.
CV is the guy on the bench we bring in to teach a lesson to Jalen/Gilbert/Talented Guard 3.

Nobody else is on the team or sees the floor except maybe Cobb as someone somewhere between Soulemane Wane and Antric Klaiber.

Reaction Score

Gilbert is the 6th man brought in to change pace and bring Jalen off the ball (a la Kemba 2009).
CV is the guy on the bench we bring in to teach a lesson to Jalen/Gilbert/Talented Guard 3.

Nobody else is on the team or sees the floor except maybe Cobb as someone somewhere between Soulemane Wane and Antric Klaiber.

That's what i'm trying to say to people. On the 'UConn scale' - this team is mostly bench back-fill with 2 or 3 reasonable multi-year pieces.

Great kids who work hard, but yeah. They're not playing much on a good UConn team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
we should not have lost that game, however it seems as though Hurley is trying to figure out his rotation people played minutes who should not have and some of the lines up didn't make sense. Yakwe and Sid should really never play together ever.

Agreed. He still doing this because Sid was out for 3+ weeks. They'll be even more integrative issues once Diarra comes back, though I'd argue that's a lot easier situation to figure out.

Reaction Score
That's what i'm trying to say to people. On the 'UConn scale' - this team is mostly bench back-fill with 2 or 3 reasonable multi-year pieces.

Great kids who work hard, but yeah. They're not playing much on a good UConn team.
This team is fun to watch because they work hard. There's not a lot of high end talent, though, and they're going to be a borderline tournament team at best.

There's a reason why both Sagarin and KenPom have us still ranked in the 80s, and it's not just holding onto last year's data. There's also a reason why we've played 3 solid P5 teams have only beaten the team that didn't have it's starting PG. (Not that Howard has been good, tbf, but they're starting to play better now that he's back.)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There is one thing I don't really get as of now, why does Smith get all the minutes he's getting? The only plausible explanation is that Hurley thinks he can be a star for them when he gets his game together, but I just don't see anything yet.

Because he really wants to play a high energy 3 guard lineup. Can't do it with just 3 guards. Need that 4th.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Admittedly, my defense, turnovers and free throws were pretty pathetic.

Do better. Drink Rock and eat wings until you puke.

Reaction Score

Apt comparison, consider the last vintage UConn team from 2009.

Jalen Adams = Jerome Dyson
Gilbert = Kemba
Vital = Craig Austrie
Cobb/Carlton = Gavin Edwards/Charles Okwandu
Wilson doesn't really have a comp from that team, but is a smaller and poor man's Stanley Robinson.

We're still missing a starting point guard and a starting frontcourt. Hopefully Gilbert can grow into that role, with Bouknight replacing Adams. And Akok and (hopefully) Cockburn can give us the high-major frontcourt we've been missing since KO took over.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So what they are not a tournament team but that is not an excuse for them lacking discipline. The guards especially Gilbert today where awful. He turned the ball over repeatedly trying to score instead of passing. He cost them this game today. I think Hurley needs to tighten the reins a little bit.

How? By benching Gilbert--our second best player who is unfortunately a frosh on the court? We don't have the personnel to do this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Apt comparison, consider the last vintage UConn team from 2009.

Jalen Adams = Jerome Dyson
Gilbert = Kemba
Vital = Craig Austrie
Cobb/Carlton = Gavin Edwards/Charles Okwandu
Wilson doesn't really have a comp from that team, but is a smaller and poor man's Stanley Robinson.

We're still missing a starting point guard and a starting frontcourt. Hopefully Gilbert can grow into that role, with Bouknight replacing Adams. And Akok and (hopefully) Cockburn can give us the high-major frontcourt we've been missing since KO took over.

Vital is closer to a Kromah than Austrie, but I agree with most of those.

Reaction Score

Agreed but on our very best teams the second best player was El-Amin, Ben Gordon, Lamb, and Boatright. Is Jalen as good as them?

Reaction Score
Hey, at least we're frustrated because we played well enough to win. AZ made a couple more plays and made their FTs. If Jalens layup rolls in for the and one and it's an entirely different game. We're not getting offense by accident and look like a solid team that needs work. Miles ahead of where we were in March.

Reaction Score
GIlbert needs to play as much as humanly possible. He's basically a freshman.

Again - i'm totally baffled by people who thought this guy was going to be El-Amin when he played only part of like 6 or 7 games heading into this year. Talent is through the roof, but he's gotta develop and developing him means dealing with the headaches he gives you.

He's literally the ONLY guy on this team who I think has the potential to be 'a best player on the team' caliber guy. So he can be sloppy all he wants right now. It's part of learning this stuff.

Reaction Score
Agreed but on our very best teams the second best player was El-Amin, Ben Gordon, Lamb, and Boatright. Is Jalen as good as them?

He's as good as none of them. But I think he's probably better than just about all of our 'third best' type guys.

If he could play defense at all, he'd be a top 15-20 guy in the history of the program almost effortlessly.

Reaction Score
It's hard to say, right? Certainly I'd put him below Gordon and El-Amin and above freshman Lamb. But circumstances dictate different results. By that I mean that a player who is Option 1 gets treated differently by the opposition--and by your own offense--than Option 2. A Jalen that gets less attention, who has a better player to play off of, probably looks a lot better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
GIlbert needs to play as much as humanly possible. He's basically a freshman.

Again - i'm totally baffled by people who thought this guy was going to be El-Amin when he played only part of like 6 or 7 games heading into this year. Talent is through the roof, but he's gotta develop and developing him means dealing with the headaches he gives you.

He's literally the ONLY guy on this team who I think has the potential to be 'a best player on the team' caliber guy. So he can be sloppy all he wants right now. It's part of learning this stuff.

And realistically, people are giving him little credit for both coming back from major surgery/injury--and all that entails mentally/physically--and being super rusty after 2+ years off.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's hard to say, right? Certainly I'd put him below Gordon and El-Amin and above freshman Lamb. But circumstances dictate different results. By that I mean that a player who is Option 1 gets treated differently by the opposition--and by your own offense--than Option 2. A Jalen that gets less attention, who has a better player to play off of, probably looks a lot better.

Not just less attention, but better options, which equals more assists and less turnovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom