Frustrated | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Frustrated

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To me - everything about this team is a step down from what you'd see on a 'good' UConn team.

Adams is a good player - but he'd be the 2nd/3rd/4th best player on a good UConn team. Like guys in that kind of a role, he just doesn't have that fifth gear. And he's our best player. He's a difference maker - but he's not a total game changer at an elite level.

Like we were just saying - Polley, Vital and Carlton are nice players to have - but they're not starters on any good UConn team - they're 6th or 7th/8th men on teams like that. They're good enough to *start* on an NCAA tournament caliber team - but not on a team that can make a deep run.

So for people to digest it, I guess... I tell folks to think of a great UConn team - think of the guys they play 1-10, then start at like 2-4 for Adams and then literally start at 5/6/7 for everyone else as to where they'd be on that depth chart.

We're lacking leadership, a game-changing talent and probably one or two more Jalen Adams kind of players. Lots of bench backfill on this team - but we are maxed on our physical talent. We'll get better as a unit- but we just won't have the ability to shift to the gears better, elite programs can shift to.

We are talking a lot about Jalen Adams, but our achilles heal truly is our post play. The guards are getting ripped in this thread, and rightfully so in that they didn't play well, but the effect and follow on of not having any posts has a direct impact on our guards play. Opponents cut off the lanes, and dare us to go down low, and but can't. It's also one of the reasons we're seeing such high turnovers, the less options you have the more turnover prone you become.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You should drink the Kool-Aid we all are, its very delicious and you'll be happier.
Chuckle - Post of the Day.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm very insulted you would imply it isn't 90% Rolling Rock

If we're being sincere here, I always hated that bit of mojo. I choked down a bottle out of solidarity, but I always seemed to have to take a dump right after. Awful, awful stuff. Anything for the mojo however. Plus, wings are awesome.

Reaction Score
We are talking a lot about Jalen Adams, but our achilles heal truly is our post play. The guards are getting ripped in this thread, and rightfully so in that they didn't play well, but the effect and follow on of not having any posts has a direct impact on our guards play. Opponents cut off the lanes, and dare us to go down low, and but can't. It's also one of the reasons we're seeing such high turnovers, the less options you have the more turnover prone you become.

I'm not ripping the guards. And you're right - the post play is the problem. I mean we have a three headed monster down there right now between Cobb/Carlton/Yakwe. One of them shows up per game while the other two absolutely are out of their depth. That's fine and better than nothing against most of the teams we'll play this year.

To win against better teams, the three of them have to play well. And not being a Debbie Downer- but I'm not sure they're good enough collectively to do that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
WE GOTS US A HANGIN

Hey, I said I did it. More than a number of folks on here can claim.

I respect the mojo, but don't have to like every tenet. Just have to accept them.

Reaction Score
For me it was the turnovers, a few shots that were so bad that they were turnovers, and Gilbert taking the ball into players that are too tall. We are competitive. With all the bad, it still came down to Smith's foul on a 30ft desperation shot, and 2 missed foul shots by Gilbert & Adams. Sid with a 2, a 3, and taking a charge in the first half on a big stage was very encouraging. Playing Yakwe makes no sense to me, defensive lapse, turnover, I have yet to see a flash of anything that should keep other players on the bench. Giving away a basket or 2 in the middle of the game still hurts the team. I'll take my chances with other guys until they have 4 fouls each.

Reaction Score

Yeah but we know the post play is suspect so we need who to step up like it or not? And let me remind you with a weak post defense we allowed way too many AZ guards to come off of the roll without our guards rotating well, all of them. The TO's very rarely have anything to do with anything but bad decisions. We have guys who go to the hole without a plan, get up in the air and just hope they have an out. Too many times they don't. Hey I get they need someone to throw it to but Cobb got most of his from rebounds, he's a gu to throw it in to. Carlton well he's still overmatched by guys longer than him but he did make a couple nice defensive plays 2nd half. Still think we needed to see more of Cobb. Polley almost took it from Luhter a few times thought he played ok.

Its all about the guards, no more AG going to deep and getting his shot blocked 3-4 times a game. No more pretty dimes from Jalen that turn into the lay up the other way while he jogs back to maybe block instead of beating the offense back and getting in front of people. No more Tarin Smith fouling a 3 point attempt from 25 feet in maybe the biggest play of the game. Vital just turned the clock back a little with some of his passes and decisions.

Truth is I was amazed we were in this game the way they played and still had a shot with 14 seconds left.

Frustrated for sure, winnable game, very! But there still are some really nice things to look forward to.

Reaction Score
Turnovers, with all of the guards we have it boggles my mind how many times we turn it over. Usually trying to dribble through the defense or forcing a pass. There’s no ball security.

Reaction Score
Our post play is horrendous and has been for years but we all knew that going into the season and it really won't get better until we bring in new players next season. Thank god for Cobb this season or we would be a total donut. Carlton could get better eventually but he is a bench player. Our guards know our frontcourt is really bad, it doesn't excuse Vital and Jalen having a combined 12 turnovers and Alterique stinking up the joint.

Reaction Score
Turnovers are still our main problem. Not surprising. We've played 3 years of cement shoes half court basketball. Now that we're playing fast again, we're turning the ball over way too much. Right now, our biggest challenge is re-learning how to play fast without turning over the basketball. It'll come. This is a tourney team.

They play every summer and prior fast open basketball let's not blame "the last few years" for stupidity with the ball. Their big boys and should know how to play the game by now coaching aside. If they ever were good with their decisions no matter who was coaching they would've figured it out by now with Hurley anyway, they are just what they are. And if they don't make a change we will be what we are too. We see they can be better but it's time to man up and be leaders on BOTH ends for all of them. This should've been in the W column time for them to grow up and get smarter if they really want to win.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a senior and the team leader, most of our fans consider him a star player. He's obviously held to a different standard than the rest of the players.
Yes, but... in 2011 we had such a bad record going into the BE tourney we had to play the play in game. That was because we relied on our BEST and most senior player Kemba Walker. In games we lost, he had to take over and do everything. The team that won 11-0 in March shared the ball and everything about the game. I know of what I speak.
Kemba Walker now might score 60 points but he can’t win a championship.
So I don’t care about presumed leadership. If you’re storming the beaches at Normandy, if you’re on one of the boats before the beach has been secured, I don’t care how much of a leader you are. Most of your guys and you are likely getting blown to bits.

Reaction Score
It was a game we easily could have won against a strong program, even if Arizona is having a down year. In the past couple of years, I believe this game is a blowout in the 1st half, so we are definitely improving. Although we lost this game, I think it's a learning experience and will boost our confidence as the season goes along, especially next week against FSU in Newark.

As for the turnovers, I get Vital's sloppy play. He has always been a bit careless with the ball and I hope as the season progresses he begins to understand this and slows down. Jalen? That's what I don't get. He is the leader of this team and should be the one that settles the offense down and looks to create opportunities for his team. At times he looks so rushed, careless and gassed. I've always believed he could be a leader like Kemba and Shabazz, but I think Ollie's coaching and the terrible seasons they had derailed that. I believe once he gets acclimated playing under Hurley and with some of his new teammates, he begins to understand his responsibilities. If he plays the way he is capable of, NBA scouts will take notice. I hope Hurley and the coaching staff get him to see his value not only for this season, but his future.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Its all about the guards, no more AG going to deep and getting his shot blocked 3-4 times a game. ey played and still had a shot with 14 seconds left.

Well, you're gonna have to get used to that one. Happened with almost all our quick guards early in their careers. Most notably Kemba.

Reaction Score
Well, you're gonna have to get used to that one. Happened with almost all our quick guards early in their careers. Most notably Kemba.

I agree no doubt and think AG will learn no doubt. Then what's up with JA and CV (he's been good until today)? Need them to change their ways and habits, JA is too nonchalant still for my taste and he's way too talented to not get it.

Reaction Score
Good post. I don't agree with the NCAA projection, but this was a good take nonetheless.
We could be a really low seed... if we learn a lot from these games we could go into the AAC and play well. I’m not ruling it out yet.

Reaction Score
I agree no doubt and think AG will learn no doubt. Then what's up with JA and CV (he's been good until today)? Need them to change their ways and habits, JA is too nonchalant still for my taste and he's way too talented to not get it.

They are too quick to celebrate when things are going well but neither seem to really have the toughness to take over a game completely.

Reaction Score
Need a shooter with ice in his veins. I counted 5 Timeswhen we came down with a chance to take the lead or tie with a trey an misses all 5. Wi Jalen doesn’t have it. Polley isn’t close.
And wide open shots too. Not even a hand in the face. We should knock down those shots.

Reaction Score
Frustrating game for sure in the sense that we didn't play too well but the game was still right there in front of us for the taking. Being in the student section was pure awesomeness and I don't know if I've ever personally heard XL that loud. This game is just one step in the process and there's no doubt in my mind this program is going to get back to where it belongs.

Reaction Score

He needs to use his tear drop. Its a good one. Great point. People forget how frustrating it was to watch young Kemba. I think this is the one area where the rust is most evident.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
For me it was the turnovers, a few shots that were so bad that they were turnovers, and Gilbert taking the ball into players that are too tall. We are competitive. With all the bad, it still came down to Smith's foul on a 30ft desperation shot, and 2 missed foul shots by Gilbert & Adams. Sid with a 2, a 3, and taking a charge in the first half on a big stage was very encouraging. Playing Yakwe makes no sense to me, defensive lapse, turnover, I have yet to see a flash of anything that should keep other players on the bench. Giving away a basket or 2 in the middle of the game still hurts the team. I'll take my chances with other guys until they have 4 fouls each.
All true. This was a disappointment in that we didn't play smart, but there's enough talent to win some of these games right now. Our guards need to figure out that when they drive they need to have their heads up right up to the point of releasing the shot. Kick it out? Lay it off to a big? Pull up with a floater? Finish the drive? All are options, except 90% of the time they choose #4. Yakwe should be a foul trouble fill in, unless the opponent is playing a post-up 4 man. And then maybe, it should be Whaley, who is longer.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Don't know what expectations you're referring to but we should absolutely expect to beat that Zona team in our building.

Reminder: UConn was 14-18 last year and brought in one recruit of note.

I'm as excited as everyone else for the turnaround but let's have a LITTLE perspective. Even for the boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom