From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join | Page 9 | The Boneyard

From the site that broke the Maryland to Big Ten news- UVA likely to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do people really believe the politics angle? Do they really think UNC can't go unless NCstate has a landing spot? They really think that the state would let both schools sit in a degraded and near worthless ACC when one of them had a chance at the B1G? That's insane. Forcing Virginia to vote no unless Tech was invited was one thing and it really had no bearing on whether any harm would come to Virginia. This is entirely different and there is no way a state legislature is going to hold UNC hostage when they have no control and no vote over what happens in the b1G.

I think there is loyalty to the ACC among its members that we never saw with the Big East, and it is not just financially driven. VTech is rumored to have rebuffed SEC approaches 2 years ago. UNC knows as long as they are in the league, the ACC is viable as a major conference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think there is loyalty to the ACC among its members that we never saw with the Big East, and it is not just financially driven. VTech is rumored to have rebuffed SEC approaches 2 years ago. UNC knows as long as they are in the league, the ACC is viable as a major conference.
Possibly, but if FSU and Clemson bolt...the ACC no longer has any strong football teams, thus turning the ACC into a weaker conference. Not sure UNC wants to risk that.

Reaction Score
I really hope UNC goes to the SEC. GT/college football fans in Georgia might like having Big 12 schools come to town instead of the B1G schools. The ACC would suck for us.

The general tenor of fans from places like FSU and GT has been very lukewarm toward the Big 12 lately. It's easy to say, "Wow! Texas and Oklahoma!", but then people take a step back and remember this is a league where you also have to travel to Manhattan, Kansas and Ames, Iowa. This is NOT a "Sun Belt" league. The Big 12 is very much a paper tiger in this process - outside of its presence in the State of Texas itself, its demographics and footprint are by far the worst out of all of the power conferences. Pretty much everyone with a rudimentary understanding of conference realignment knows that the Big 12 would be a last resort for any ACC school. If the ACC is completely collapsing, then sure, you grab whatever life raft is available (even if it's in the Big 12). For the ACC schools that actually have legit options, though, all of them would pick either the SEC or Big Ten over the Big 12 without question. In fact, they'd all rather prefer that the ACC remain intact over the Big 12.

Bottom line: if you're actually hoping for an ACC school to choose the Big 12 *over* the Big Ten, there's NFW that it happens. The only ACC schools that the Big 12 could possibly get are the ones that the Big Ten and SEC don't want. Choosing between the SEC and Big Ten is a little bit of a different story, but remember that university presidents (as opposed to football-focused fans) are driving the decisions, and when the football *money* is going to be equal or better in the Big Ten *and* there's no contest on the academics front, I think it's wishful thinking that UNC would choose the SEC over the Big Ten, as well. Now, let me be clear, UNC's first choice by far is to stay in the ACC as-is, so in no means am I saying that UNC is actually moving to the Big Ten, but only that no one should think that they'd be choosing the SEC instead of the Big Ten in the event that they do decide that they need to move. Notwithstanding the fake grades and classes, the leadership at UNC is as academically snobby as anyone.

Reaction Score
The general tenor of fans from places like FSU and GT has been very lukewarm toward the Big 12 lately. It's easy to say, "Wow! Texas and Oklahoma!", but then people take a step back and remember this is a league where you also have to travel to Manhattan, Kansas and Ames, Iowa. This is NOT a "Sun Belt" league. The Big 12 is very much a paper tiger in this process - outside of its presence in the State of Texas itself, its demographics and footprint are by far the worst out of all of the power conferences. Pretty much everyone with a rudimentary understanding of conference realignment knows that the Big 12 would be a last resort for any ACC school. If the ACC is completely collapsing, then sure, you grab whatever life raft is available (even if it's in the Big 12). For the ACC schools that actually have legit options, though, all of them would pick either the SEC or Big Ten over the Big 12 without question. In fact, they'd all rather prefer that the ACC remain intact over the Big 12.

Bottom line: if you're actually hoping for an ACC school to choose the Big 12 *over* the Big Ten, there's NFW that it happens. The only ACC schools that the Big 12 could possibly get are the ones that the Big Ten and SEC don't want. Choosing between the SEC and Big Ten is a little bit of a different story, but remember that university presidents (as opposed to football-focused fans) are driving the decisions, and when the football *money* is going to be equal or better in the Big Ten *and* there's no contest on the academics front, I think it's wishful thinking that UNC would choose the SEC over the Big Ten, as well. Now, let me be clear, UNC's first choice by far is to stay in the ACC as-is, so in no means am I saying that UNC is actually moving to the Big Ten, but only that no one should think that they'd be choosing the SEC instead of the Big Ten in the event that they do decide that they need to move. Notwithstanding the fake grades and classes, the leadership at UNC is as academically snobby as anyone.

Essentially, you're saying the Florida State leaders are braindead, since it's the Florida St. crazies who are freaking out everyone else and causing them to jump, from the President of the BOT accusing UNC of selling out football Tier 3 rights to other decisions.

If FSU is not as enticing as UNC for both the B1G and the SEC, then you have to wonder why FSU bothers with UNC in such a fashion. Just stupidity?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU aren't leaving. That's why the Big 12 was going to petition for a CCG with only 10 teams. Then when that started to fade the rumors about the Big 12 maybe looking more to the northeast started. I can't help but get the feeling that getting Louisville because they supposedly bring better football than UConn (I still get a kick out of that) served to appease FSU and Clemson.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No one has joined the Big 12 because Texas likes 10 teams. I don't see that changing any time soon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one has joined the Big 12 because none of the schools they want are willing to join right now. Might change if they get passed over by the Big 10 or SEC, but if the Big 12 is your third choice and isn't going anywhere why make a call before you need to.

Reaction Score

I think people are seeing the ACC is a little more cohesive than people originally thought. there is definitely a pecking order in the conference game, and no school has left for a perceived 'lesser' conference. And, it seems that the ACC schools aren't so quick to head for the Big12. Of course, that decision is easier if there is a possibility of the SEC or Big10 to come calling.
I hope UNC stays in the ACC, meaning UVA and Uconn to the Big10 gains traction.

Reaction Score
No one has joined the Big 12 because none of the schools they want are willing to join right now. Might change if they get passed over by the Big 10 or SEC, but if the Big 12 is your third choice and isn't going anywhere why make a call before you need to.
but, what does it take for Big12 to become 3rd choice over ACC. If ACC only loses UVA and GT, does that create a mass exodus?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No one has joined the Big 12 because Texas likes 10 teams. I don't see that changing any time soon.

And yet you were the Lead Lemming banging the drum for FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 for months on end. This is why it's hard to take anything you post seriously.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
but, what does it take for Big12 to become 3rd choice over ACC. If ACC only loses UVA and GT, does that create a mass exodus?

Big 10 and SEC take 4 ACC schools. Then FSU and Clemson would take the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I think people are seeing the ACC is a little more cohesive than people originally thought. there is definitely a pecking order in the conference game, and no school has left for a perceived 'lesser' conference. And, it seems that the ACC schools aren't so quick to head for the Big12. Of course, that decision is easier if there is a possibility of the SEC or Big10 to come calling.
I hope UNC stays in the ACC, meaning UVA and Uconn to the Big10 gains traction.

They probably are more cohesive than we give them credit for, but there is a schism between the "Tobacco Road" schools (UVA, UNC, Duke) and the "football" schools (FSU, Clem). They added Louisville, and UNC's president couldn't even pretend that he didn't hate the decision. Normally, the new school and the conference play a game of "who can brown-nose more" when they introduce a new member. Looking at the additions, you can see why. Miami, VT, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, ND (all academically strong schools)...and Louisville (diplomas printed on two-ply toilet paper). All the moves prior to UL fit the "academic" requirement, UL assuages the football schools (hadn't happened until this point).

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Big 10 and SEC take 4 ACC schools. Then FSU and Clemson would take the Big 12.

And the B12 would have option of going even further by adding the likes of Gtch, Miami, LSVL and Pitt. Even if B1G and SEC stop at 16, post-avalanche, the ACC could conceivably be left with Duke, Wake, Cuse and bc.

Will be interesting to see what card ND plays as this all starts rolling....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And the B12 would have option of going even further by adding the likes of Gtch, Miami, LSVL and Pitt. Even if B1G and SEC stop at 16, post-avalanche, the ACC could conceivably be left with Duke, Wake, Cuse and bc.

Will be interesting to see what card ND plays as this all starts rolling....

They could. Not sure there a lot of good candidates to go past 12, but I'm sure a school like WVU would love to get some more regional opponents.

pj

Reaction Score
Miami, VT, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, ND (all academically strong schools)...and Louisville (diplomas printed on two-ply toilet paper). All the moves prior to UL fit the "academic" requirement, UL assuages the football schools (hadn't happened until this point).

Are you serious? Pitt and ND I can see as academically strong institutions. None of the others are. SAT scores of admitted undergrads are almost identical at Syracuse and Louisville (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/louisville.htm and http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/syracuse.htm). Syracuse had to drop out of the AAU because they are #194 among universities in research funding, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/syracuse_university_pulls_out.html.

The ACC gave up on academics a long time ago. The B1G still has that luxury. That is one aspect that makes it attractive to UVa / UNC / Ga Tech, and even FSU who would like to upgrade its research standing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the acc gave up on academics in 1953. the whole academics thing was and is a ploy to act like they are better then the sec. which they are, but everyone is better than the sec. every time the sec adds they get a little smarter balancing out the hilbillies test scores and that threatens the belt notches of the silly private schools and there high horses.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Pitt and ND I can see as academically strong institutions. None of the others are. SAT scores of admitted undergrads are almost identical at Syracuse and Louisville (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/louisville.htm and http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/syracuse.htm). Syracuse had to drop out of the AAU because they are #194 among universities in research funding, http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/syracuse_university_pulls_out.html.

The ACC gave up on academics a long time ago. The B1G still has that luxury. That is one aspect that makes it attractive to UVa / UNC / Ga Tech, and even FSU who would like to upgrade its research standing.

The ACC never (that I know of anyway) has made "research" a criteria (or consideration) for membership. Only 5 ACC schools are members of the AAU (http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476). Syracuse dropping AAU might be relevant to the discussion of whether they can go B1G, but not one about the academic quality of the ACC. While the B1G has that luxury, they choose to ignore it (Nebraska #102, not in the AAU) themselves.

U.S. News and World Report Rankings (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities)
#18 ND ('12)
#31 BC ('03)
#45 Miami ('03)
#60 Syracuse ('11)
#62 Pitt ('11)
#74 VT ('03)
#163 Louisville ('12)

If they gave up on academics a long time ago, then why is it that they didn't choose to add an absolute dumpster fire of a "college" until Louisville? If none of the other schools are strong academic institutions, then what does that make Uconn (#63)?

I'll grant that the SAT scores are similar, but when one of the two (hint: its Louisville) doesn't even report the SAT writing scores of their students I'm not exactly going to view that positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom