Friday (3/8) games | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Friday (3/8) games

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kiana Williams had 11 or 12 points a few minutes ago. Now she's up to 23. Spearheaded this surge, Stanford will be moving on.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well that changed in a flash. Stanford led by 1 point with 7 minutes to play and I was thinking, this is gonna come down to foul trouble and free throws. And then poof. Stanford ends the game on a 21-4 run.

Kiana Williams was really magnificent today. With Smith having a somewhat off day and others in some foul trouble, she was the rock that Stanford needed and was buckets in crunch time.

What a great sophomore class in the Pac-12: Sabally, Williams, Onyenwere, Slocum, McDonald, Boley and Goodman come to mind off hand. At least a few of these have All American potential.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Friday is my bowling night so I wasn't able to watch the NC State/Florida State game live...but I just got through watching on DVR. All I can say is...

WHEW!

Too many missed free throws! The Wolfpack Women almost gave that one away. That last few minutes won't do tomorrow against Louisville.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, OSU-UW is a breakneck paced shootout so far. 15-13 Beavs at the first media TO, both teams bombing 3's.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just realized these are @nwhoopfan ’s two teams ... so who are you rooting for in this one?

UW looks pretty good early. The freshman Rees has some buckets and Peterson is picking up where she left off.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I just realized these are @nwhoopfan ’s two teams ... so who are you rooting for in this one?

UW looks pretty good early. The freshman Rees has some buckets and Peterson is picking up where she left off.

Gotta go OSU in this one. UW is going nowhere this season, don't want to see the Beavs get tagged w/ a really bad loss w/ seeding implications on the line.

Unfortunately for UW Melgoza is also picking up where she left off--missing everything. There were a few games in OOC where Melgoza and Peterson were both hitting shots, but they haven't really had that going since November.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

@nwhoopfan I do have 3 UW caps.... 2 of which are about 6 feet away from me..... shall I put one on? :eek::oops::rolleyes::D:p:cool:;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan I do have 3 UW caps.... 2 of which are about 6 feet away from me..... shall I put one on? :eek::oops::rolleyes::D:p:cool:;)
They need all the fan help they can get. They’re vastly outnumbered here in the arena.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Friday is my bowling night so I wasn't able to watch the NC State/Florida State game live...but I just got through watching on DVR. All I can say is...

WHEW!

Too many missed free throws! The Wolfpack Women almost gave that one away. That last few minutes won't do tomorrow against Louisville.

I havent seen a replay... but it looked to me that the FSU coach went through the handshake line really fast. I looked once and she was shaking Moore's hand... looked away for a second... looked back and she was headed to the tunnel with a scowl.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Hmm...how have you managed to acquire 3 UW caps? I know you claim a lot of teams but I didn't think the one in Seattle was one of those.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmm...how have you managed to acquire 3 UW caps? I know you claim a lot of teams but I didn't think the one in Seattle was one of those.

Well years ago... My parents went on a Alaskan Cruise and spent a few days in Seattle. I asked my mother to bring me a real husky hat. A few years later.... a female who I used to date who had since moved to Seattle... was back in town... and I asked her to bring me a UW hat... she bought me two. All nice caps.... but two are purple.. and its hard to match purple with anything other than black. The other one... is kinda tight around my big head :oops:

Plebe

Reaction Score
You know how there are some things that you can’t fully appreciate on video? Well, watching her live for the first time, I am blown away by Slocum’s speed in the open court. Good lord almighty it’s like a rocket blasting from one end of the court to the other. She is electric.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You know how there are some things that you can’t fully appreciate on video? Well, watching her live for the first time, I am blown away by Slocum’s speed in the open court. Good lord almighty it’s like a rocket blasting from one end of the court to the other. She is electric.

Kiana Williams and Aari McDonald can get down the floor in a hurry too. Who do you think is the fastest?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What did Rees have for dinner? 4 3's and 14 points in the first half. OSU looked on the verge of blowing it wide open, but UW has stormed back. 37-33 under a minute left.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Kiana Williams and Aari McDonald can get down the floor in a hurry too. Who do you think is the fastest?
All three of them are like lightning. Really tough call. With Slocum maybe it seems just different or unexpected because she’s a bigger build than the other two? But yeah I’d put those three in a race up against anyone in the country.

Meanwhile, the Huskies have roared back to make this a game. Four point lead at halftime. I thought OSU was fixing to blow them out.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I wonder if Arkansas should get a spot over Tennessee in the tournament. Arkansas is 19-13, Tennessee is 19-12. Tennessee has one more SEC win than Arkansas. If Arkansas beats A&M, they should replace Tennessee in the tournament regardless of what happens vs Mississippi State.... since they have that huge upset vs South Carolina.

I apologize if this has been addressed already. I came back when all the games were over... I saw State/Tennessee and left.

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to go to the SECT, I bet you can get a ticket real cheap about now.

Teams in the semis:
Miss St (6.5 hrs)
Mizzou (11.5 hrs)
Ark (12.5 hrs)

Unless State was to get upset tomorrow that building will be over half maroon on Sunday, possibly tomorrow, esp as we are due another rough round of tornado causing thunderstorms tomorrow a lot of folk in north MS may use it as an excuse to get outta town.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
All three of them are like lightning. Really tough call. With Slocum maybe it seems just different or unexpected because she’s a bigger build than the other two? But yeah I’d put those three in a race up against anyone in the country.

Meanwhile, the Huskies have roared back to make this a game. Four point lead at halftime. I thought OSU was fixing to blow them out.
I'd give them each an edge in a slightly different way - I feel like Williams is the smoothest of the three, McDonald is the grittiest of the three, and Slocum is the most explosive of the three. But they're all so fun to watch.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I just watched the post-game press conferences. I have got to say I really like Sue Semrau. She was very upbeat and positive in her press conference, and thanked the student journalism majors who had covered the game at the very end of her time on the stage. She seems like a nice lady.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington just went ahead early in Q3. It looks like they really believe they can win this game. Never mind how much they've struggled the last 2 years, they're just out there ballin'.

Goodman was carrying OSU for several games but now she's in a shooting slump.

edit--OSU is just missing so many open 3's. They used to be money behind the arc but they just haven't been that team for more than a month now. Really would've liked to see how this season would've played out if Tudor didn't get hurt. I think their 3 point shooting woes closely coincided with her injury.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They committee might use your standard for their decisions, but you seem overly focused on top 50 RPI actually meaning more than it does. Massey and many other rating systems give a far better perspective of a teams strength. RPI is very flawed. I personally will celebrate the day when it is finally scrubbed as a criteria.

Plebe-- I have a question for you. Do you really believe that the RPI is a good criteria, or do you just use it because you know the committee uses it. If it's the latter, then that would eliminate any argument in respect to your opinions on which teams will make it. The only factor unknown factor that would then be left for discussion, would be how much value the committee gives the RPI?

It would also help if you clarified if your choices are based on who you think should make it, or are just a prediction of who you believe the committee will chose? Many people are expressing their own views as to who deserves to make the dance. For discussion purposes it would clear up any confusion if people knew what was actually being discussed.
I’m trying to predict what the committee will do. It’s easy to pick at the flaws in the RPI but as long as the committee continues to use it then my thoughts on its merits are irrelevant. Top 50 wins has long been one of the criteria most commonly cited by committee chairs in discussing their decisions and, for better or worse, when they say “top 50” they mean in the RPI. The team sheets and nitty gritty sheets that the committee members use to evaluate and compare teams are organized by RPI rankings. Massey may be a better ranking system but I’ve never heard any evidence that the committee even considers it.

FWIW the committee is also clearly aware that the RPI is flawed because their selections and seedings *never* follow the RPI strictly. Whether they do a good job of departing from the RPI is a matter for another talk show.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well... we’ve all heard of an eager beaver. But tonight i think I’m seeing a lot of nervous Beavers in the crowd tonight.

Big 3 by Pivec at the end of 3Q to tie the game up at 51.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec hit a 3 to tie it at the end of Q3. UW had been up 5. Pivec w/ another double-double. I'm not sure how to check but she has to be the leading rebounding guard in the country. Around 9 per game. That's ridiculous. Slocum hasn't been getting any looks after lighting it up in the first half.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Watching this is taking me back to that game a few years ago in the NCAAs when Wynn’s Long Beach team very nearly upset Oregon St. I think LBSU was something like a 15 seed?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watching this is taking me back to that game a few years ago in the NCAAs when Wynn’s Long Beach team very nearly upset Oregon St. I think LBSU was something like a 15 seed?

They mentioned that game during the pre game.

Both teams missing some open 3's.

Than Peterson drills one, UW up by 1. 5:30 left. make it 2 in a row for her

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom