Friday (3/8) games | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Friday (3/8) games

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's amazing how often I post about a team struggling...and then almost immediately they pick it up. Stanford up 17-16 now.
That could be marketable if you keep it on the down low!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's amazing how often I post about a team struggling...and then almost immediately they pick it up. Stanford up 17-16 now.
In that case, could you please continue to post about Stanford's struggles all the way through the evening of Sunday, April 7? Thank you!! :p

Reaction Score
Lack of inside presence is hurting FSU, NCSU up 46-39, 3:31 third quarter.

Reaction Score
If they beat A&M (not Auburn) to reach the final it might put them in the conversation, but I still doubt it. This is their only top 50 win at the moment. I really think Arkansas needs to win out for the auto bid.
They committee might use your standard for their decisions, but you seem overly focused on top 50 RPI actually meaning more than it does. Massey and many other rating systems give a far better perspective of a teams strength. RPI is very flawed. I personally will celebrate the day when it is finally scrubbed as a criteria.

Plebe-- I have a question for you. Do you really believe that the RPI is a good criteria, or do you just use it because you know the committee uses it. If it's the latter, then that would eliminate any argument in respect to your opinions on which teams will make it. The only factor unknown factor that would then be left for discussion, would be how much value the committee gives the RPI?

It would also help if you clarified if your choices are based on who you think should make it, or are just a prediction of who you believe the committee will chose? Many people are expressing their own views as to who deserves to make the dance. For discussion purposes it would clear up any confusion if people knew what was actually being discussed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
32-29 Stanford at the half. This is a battle.

@Plebe it looks like generally you've had high quality games thus far.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is that same dude from their home arena giving the refs constant hell?

Ha. There is somebody over on the opposite side of the arena from me... In the NC state section that is awfully loud. It could be him

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
32-29 Stanford at the half. This is a battle.

@Plebe it looks like generally you've had high quality games thus far.
It'll be interesting to see how Gottlieb uses Anigwe, Caldwell, and Thomas in the second half; all three have two fouls now, and they're her core. Does she leave them in if they pick up a third early in the third? The two fouls on Anigwe in the last two minutes of the first half could really shape how the second half plays out, because while she's not shooting well, we're having to sag to contain her and that's giving their shooters a lot of looks; Cal is shooting better from the three (35.3%) than from the two (25%), and they're not known for being an especially sharpshooting team. If Anigwe has to sit I suspect their success rate from outside will plunge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lets she how good Cunane is when she doesnt have a 4 inch advantage on everyone Head bang
Also these refs might as well call the game for NCState with these bogus line violations and foul calls, thanks for listening to my rant. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I will say Stanford has a pretty significant amount of support throughout the stands. Not as much as Oregon had, but still significant. Cal ... not so much. They have the pack behind the team bench and not a whole lot else.

Perhaps it’s a good sign for Cal that Anigwe was only 1-8 in the first half and yet they’re only down 3.

Reaction Score
That is the worst foul call on Myers of all time, Triad did you see that???

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I will say Stanford has a pretty significant amount of support throughout the stands. Not as much as Oregon had, but still significant. Cal ... not so much. They have the pack behind the team bench and not a whole lot else.
Stanford WBB has a strong core contingent of fans. It helps that our men's team has been anywhere between mediocre and terrible for over a decade now, so a lot of bball fans have shifted to follow our women's team more instead, including yours truly. In the early 2000s, our men's team was much better and Tara was in the midst of her ten-year final four drought. But these days, rooting for the women's team is generally a much more satisfying fan experience! ;)

Reaction Score
Lets she how good Cunane is when she doesnt have a 4 inch advantage on everyone Head bang
Also these refs might as well call the game for NCState with these bogus line violations and foul calls, thanks for listening to my rant. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Don’t think she is that much taller than Myers lol

Reaction Score
9 fouls called all game on NC State. I am sure NC State is enjoying this season, because next year Leslie and Rogers are gone, but really sweet 16 is probably their ceiling.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I left the Temple v Memphis game at halftime with Temple up 28 to 17.
How did they lose?
Memphis was 4 for 32 in the first half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey @TheFarmFan what happened to Alyssa Jerome? Front court depth is pretty thin but I don't think she's played at all so far. Coffee just doesn't seem like she does much when she's in the game.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Travis Mays is a class guy and a great coach, and I've been rooting for him ever since he took the SMU job.
And there's also the fact that Swin's cousin plays for them.

I almost left the game at halftime. The score was 22-17. Really ugly, no talent basketball. My wife talked me into staying for the second half. While the 2nd half was more interesting when SMU tied the game, I was really unimpressed with the SMU coach. IMO he lost the game. With 22 seconds left and down by 2 he did nothing except let ECU run the clock. A passive defense and no fouls although he had fouls to give. People around me (what few there were) were all yelling for SMU to foul.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Both teams were looking ragged, but a pair of 3's and a layup for Stanford have them sitting pretty. 63-52 w/ 2 1/2 minutes left. Anigwe and Smith each have 4 fouls. Smith has been sitting for about 5 minutes and Stanford kept the lead the whole time, she's set to come back in.

I have to give Coffee credit, she hit one of the 3's and got a big D board in the middle of that 8-0 run.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Huge sequence there for Stanford. Consecutive 3s by Coffee and Williams and then a wide open layup by Williams for an 11 point lead. Gottlieb held out for the media timeout but it might be too late, only 2:29 to play.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Just saw your post, nwhoop. Jerome really isn't well suited to be the primary post up on defense - she's only 6'2", she's not especially fast, and she gets beat to the basket fairly often. Coffee is 6'5" and as a senior just knows where she needs to be to keep Anigwe away from the basket. It doesn't show as much in the stat line, but she's been doing a pretty good job of keeping Anigwe 5-10" away from the basket on a lot of possessions, because she's hard to get around. Jerome is better as a high post/wing, but oh yeah, she's behind the presumptive All-American in Smith... And against Anigwe, we really need height, so that means 6'5" Coffee, 6'4" Smith, and 6'3" (and lengthy) Dodson are better options.

Fourth Quarter looks to be playing out as I had hoped/expected - Cal is losing steam and our ability to bench our starting players to keep them fresh for the fourth is now paying dividends. What I did not expect was that Williams would suddenly find her long-distance stroke again. That's been huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom