Foxx is a quarterback | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Foxx is a quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Clearly I'm not getting my point across:

You can defend decisions a, b, c, d and so on.

I can't see anyway to connect a, b, c d into a cogent long term plan.

That's the issue for me.

I tend to agree with your point: every other position on the field has been given a "develop during game action" strategy except for QB. I don't understand burning Boyle's RS if he's not going to play either. My point is if they feel like they need to go to a wildcat package, then maybe Foxx is the only guy who can run it. There might not be underclassmen ready to QB those packages.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley, I really don't mean to blow up on you do just know that but...

THE ARGUMENT ISN'T THAT FOXX IS A SENIOR IT'S THAT HE'S A SENIOR WIDE RECEIVER PLAYING QUARTERBACK!

No worries - I don't take anything personally here unless someone talks about CL Smooths in a derogatory manner. :)

The answer to that: because there are, apparently, only 3 active and eligible guys left on the roster who have practiced as a QB in some capacity:

1. Whitmer - writing is on the wall...not a D-1 QB, can't move the offense, skills do not mesh well with our horrendous OL, not the future;
2. Boyle - young, clearly not comfortable with the offense yet. Not as mobile so does not mesh well with our horrendous OL but I still want to see him play more to get him more reps now that his RS was inexplicably burned;
3. Foxx - wildcat read-option offense only; skills mesh better with our horrendous OL (moves the pocket, not stationary, only has one hot read of the opposing DE to worry about instead of having to worry about all 11 defenders...8 of which will be in our backfield 1 second after the ball is snapped). Not the future unless you think that Davis/Shirreffs can run this style of offense in 2015. Develops our RBs in that case.

I have no idea if Lamelle, Bradley, Abrams, etc can run wildcat. Maybe they can. I have no idea who else has practiced being the primary ball handler on offense.

If I had my way, I'd thank Whitmer for his services, assign him the finest clipboard, visor and headset available, and plant him right to Cochran for the remainder of the season. Start Boyle and play him the majority of downs and use Foxx as a complimentary wildcat read-option guy. If Boyle gets hurt (likely, given our OL), then scrap conventional offense and exclusively go with wildcat read-option the rest of the season. Drink enough CL Smooths to think you're watching Oregon's offense, blackout and pray that Jim Delaney doesn't get ESPNews or ESPN3 and is watching this mess.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If Diaco's desired offense is a mobile quarterback and using Foxx now will start us in that direction and he's willing to do it, I'm all for it. If a by-product is that it moves the offense, puts a somewhat competitive product on the field and helps take the pressure off the o-line, again, I'm all for it. Why did it take this long. I can only assume he was trying to make do with the QB's he had. I don't really care and I don't care about Boyle's RS. I would like this team to start cutting down on mistakes, first and formost. If they can do that, great. If we can move the ball in the process, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom