Foxx is a quarterback | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Foxx is a quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I want Boyle to start and Foxx used as a Wildcat QB the same way McCummings was used.

It's sad, but right now getting to a McEntee&McCummings level of production on offense would be a huge step up for us.

Since Foxx is a starting WR we could even keep Boyle and Foxx on the field together at all times, when the team breaks the huddle Boyle could just run to a WR position and vice versa.

We can't get any worse by trying this and we need to start getting Boyle some reps if the goal is to build for next year.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Since Foxx is a starting WR we could even keep Boyle and Foxx on the field together at all times, when the team breaks the huddle Boyle could just run to a WR position and vice versa.

You can't be serious.

Reaction Score
He is. He's picturing Boyle throwing a crushing leading block for Foxx when they "wildcat" him... :confused:

This is big boy football. Can't be running scared all the time like our current starting QB Mr Happy Feet (your boy ) is.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is big boy football. Can't be running scared all the time like our current starting QB (your boy) is.

Yup. Big boy football. With our QB at WR. Remember how that went last year? Hmm...big boy football...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UConn fans are unrealistic because we want 1 single competent QB in a decade plus?

Aside from the beginning of 2007 with TL and the end of 2010 with ZF we've had the worst QB play of college football.

Read what I said, not what you think I said. Getting Orlovsky and what he brought to the table made UConn competitive at the D1 level much faster than anyone had a reason to expect, because, in case nobody remembers, UConn was far from being a world beater at the 1AA level under HCRE. I agree that our QB recruiting was not very good, although Endres showed signs but self-destructed. It's mindless to think that the new HC has not been severely restricted in his choices of personnel moves.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So judging the coach on the decisions he makes is a false
premise.

That's an interesting conclusion.

Take this team, tell me what the broad range of choices his personnel gives him, and then coach it the way you think he should. Forgive me for remembering that almost everyone here was thankful that Foley was retained. Well, if he was to be the rock upon which HCBD was to start rebuilding, the new guy seems to have started with a foundation sinking in quicksand. And I'm not saying Foley sucks or that the HC is totally brilliant. I'm saying the talent sucks, and beyond that, we are two deep at QB with a line that exposes them to mayhem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Read what I said, not what you think I said. Getting Orlovsky and what he brought to the table made UConn competitive at the D1 level much faster than anyone had a reason to expect, because, in case nobody remembers, UConn was far from being a world beater at the 1AA level under HCRE. I agree that our QB recruiting was not very good, although Endres showed signs but self-destructed. It's mindless to think that the new HC has not been severely restricted in his choices of personnel moves.

Yeah UConn never won any games without Orlovsky.

Oh wait they won 2 conference championships and 30+ games in 4 years after he was gone.

Certainly it was Dan Orlovsky who skewed our perspectives. We should just be happy a power like Temple would even come play us in East Hartford.

We should have no expectations against South Florida, Temple, Tulane, Army and SMU.

It's Dan Orlovsky's fault we have the audacity to expect to compete with such football powerhouses.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

That's such a BS excuse. We had good, solid and competitive football teams under Edsall. Quicker than expected? Sure.

Not to undermine those teams, because they were great and getting those recordswere great, but come on, a few 8 win seasons has jaded the fans to the extent that we shouldn't be absolutely disgusted with the program now and thatbecause we won wquicker than expected somehow is an excuse for that?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Take this team, tell me what the broad range of choices his personnel gives him, and then coach it the way you think he should. Forgive me for remembering that almost everyone here was thankful that Foley was retained. Well, if he was to be the rock upon which HCBD was to start rebuilding, the new guy seems to have started with a foundation sinking in quicksand. And I'm not saying Foley sucks or that the HC is totally brilliant. I'm saying the talent sucks, and beyond that, we are two deep at QB with a line that exposes them to mayhem.

The talent sucks.

I know what I wouldn't do: Play 55 guys from scrimmage under the guise of building for the future and then panic and turn a senior WR into a quarterback.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah UConn never won any games without Orlovsky.

Oh wait they won 2 conference championships and 30+ games in 4 years after he was gone.

Certainly it was Dan Orlovsky who skewed our perspectives. We should just be happy a power like Temple would even come play us in East Hartford.

We should have no expectations against South Florida, Temple, Tulane, Army and SMU.

It's Dan Orlovsky's fault we have the audacity to expect to compete with such football powerhouses.

Your logic is awash in false syllogisms. And a total lack of understanding of how ruinous the PP regime was, not to mention how overblown you are making out the Edsall years. With a few exceptions after DO, we were always around .5oo and got to the Fiesta Bowl when the league as a whole was not great.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anything that bolts Whitmer to a headset, visor and clipboard is moving this program in the right direction for the future. Shirreffs and Davis are both dual-threat QBs. If Foxx runs read-option better than Boyle, then put Foxx out there. Not just developing QBs, but we also need to develop our RBs too. And if we move the ball, score some points and maybe just maybe win a game or two this season, it could (hopefully) build some confidence heading into offseason workouts. Because at this pace, with 10+ sacks/game, costly turnovers as a result of relentless pressure, and coaches being too afraid to attempt a pass against the nation's 102nd ranked pass defense because our OL is horrendous, ANYTHING is better than throwing out the conventional offense that we've been throwing out there through 5 games this season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The talent sucks.

I know what I wouldn't do: Play 55 guys from scrimmage under the guise of building for the future and then panic and turn a senior WR into a quarterback.
I don't think he's the one panicking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your logic is awash in false syllogisms. And a total lack of understanding of how ruinous the PP regime was, not to mention how overblown you are making out the Edsall years. With a few exceptions after DO, we were always around .5oo and got to the Fiesta Bowl when the league as a whole was not great.

You are so totally and utterly lost it's impressive.

Sure I don't know what syllogisms means but I know what I'm seeing and hearing is a f@cking joke.

Reaction Score
Gonna be a loooong two weeks on the old Boneyard

PhzpA.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's such a BS excuse. We had good, solid and competitive football teams under Edsall. Quicker than expected? Sure.

Not to undermine those teams, because they were great and getting those recordswere great, but come on, a few 8 win seasons has jaded the fans to the extent that we shouldn't be absolutely disgusted with the program now and thatbecause we won wquicker than expected somehow is an excuse for that?

Again, Diaco isn't taking over from Edsall. He is taking over a really lousy team with a need to play vets. I can only imagine the crying on this board if the guy started playing new guys, less physically mature, and were getting run ragged. Geez. The team is down, Diaco didn't create it, and it might not be pretty for a while.

Reaction Score

You are very wrong. With Orlovsky, not counting his freshman year, we went 6-6 and 9-3 against non-Big East schedules, and then went 7-4 (3-3) in the Big East. FHCRE's last 4 years we went 9-3 (5-2), 7-5 (3-4), 7-5 (3-4), and 8-4 (5-2). We reached a plateau at least as high post Orlovsky as with Orlovsky, higher if you realize our schedules was tougher. We just weren't as good passing the ball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Again, Diaco isn't taking over from Edsall. He is taking over a really lousy team with a need to play vets. I can only imagine the crying on this board if the guy started playing new guys, less physically mature, and were getting run ragged. Geez. The team is down, Diaco didn't create it, and it might not be pretty for a while.

How about for starters:

1) Play our best players all the time.

2) Don't play a senior WR at QB!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Don't drop football, go independent. We're basically an independent now - playing in a non-BCS conference trickling around in limbo trying to latch onto a decent P5 conference. The only thing that is keeping us in the AAC is revenue and TV deals.

UCONN is not Notre Dame and they can't do that and survive in any sport, including basketball. They need a conference and hopefully a better one in the near future. If not they need to do the best they can in this conference

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are so totally and utterly lost it's impressive.

Sure I don't know what syllogisms means but I know what I'm seeing and hearing is a f@cking joke.
You are very wrong. With Orlovsky, not counting his freshman year, we went 6-6 and 9-3 against non-Big East schedules, and then went 7-4 (3-3) in the Big East. FHCRE's last 4 years we went 9-3 (5-2), 7-5 (3-4), 7-5 (3-4), and 8-4 (5-2). We reached a plateau at least as high post Orlovsky as with Orlovsky, higher if you realize our schedules was tougher. We just weren't as good passing the ball.

7-5 is around .500 last I looked. And the league was not all that good in the Fiesta year. We were 8-4 on the strength of a great kick or that would have been 7-5 too with a lesser bowl. Without looking back, I'm guessing some of the wins were in openers against 1AA teams. I am not wrong that you can't look at Diaco as if he's taking over from Edsall. That's 4 years ago and the material Diaco has to work with as a first year HC isn't up to snuff. They are paper thin at QB with a line that has more holes than swiss cheese. It's delusional to think that Boyle would do a whole lot better, if better at all, than Whitmer, or at least not so much better that he can overcome the personnel weaknesses at other important positions.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How about for starters:

1) Play our best players all the time.

2) Don't play a senior WR at QB!
I have news for you. He's pretty much playing the best players and not panicking to use true frosh who should be redshirted like most programs do. If he starts to play them, then I would say he's panicking. It's the fans who are panicking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have news for you. He's pretty much playing the best players and not panicking to use true frosh who should be redshirted like most programs do. If he starts to play them, then I would say he's panicking. It's the fans who are panicking.

You should look at the number of true freshman who have played. And then you should realize you have it totally backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom