Fox Discussing Post-Season NIT Alternative w/ BE, Big 12, B10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox Discussing Post-Season NIT Alternative w/ BE, Big 12, B10

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For reference, the first round NIT game at Gampel in 2015 only had 6000 in attendance. That was gross
That's sad. An NIT run is what propelled this program to the next level. We celebrated that vigorously (and with fire).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's sad. An NIT run is what propelled this program to the next level. We celebrated that vigorously (and with fire).
It's not sad, it's the cycle of life. A good NIT run comes usually from a down program having a good year that couldn't quite make the Dance. The NIT coming after an NC year is a bummer.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Oh wow, what a shock, nobody went to Storrs CT in March, basically the polar opposite of Vegas.

Actually 6k in Gampel should be celebrated lol
It never should be celebrated. Thats small time attendance, even for a preseason game against Marathon Oil. Either we are the Basketball Capital of the world or we aren't. Which way you want it?

Reaction Score

Times have changed. NIT used to mean something. Now it's played in Dickies Arena.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It never should be celebrated. Thats small time attendance, even for a preseason game against Marathon Oil. Either we are the Basketball Capital of the world or we aren't. Which way you want it?
The fact that 6k people traveled to Storrs in March for NIT games is incredible to me.
We are playing a game in a competitive tournament. We play to win and I would expect our fans to treat it as important. Had we not won the NIT we did, I don't think we go on to 1999 and beyond. It was really important. So anytime UConn is down enough to be in the NIT, the right attitude is to go in and dominate that thing. Get your attitude back.

Reaction Score
Have you seen what is on tv besides sports? There isn’t much on. People will watch it if only for background noise.

Reaction Score
We are playing a game in a competitive tournament. We play to win and I would expect our fans to treat it as important. Had we not won the NIT we did, I don't think we go on to 1999 and beyond. It was really important. So anytime UConn is down enough to be in the NIT, the right attitude is to go in and dominate that thing. Get your attitude back.
I think you're living in fantasy land. If any of the other blue bloods were making a big deal out of winning in the NIT there would be 10 threads on this board mocking them endlessly for it. The players don't care about it so there's no reason fans should either. Especially for UConn fans when it's all about national championships

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, we didn't. Nobody gave a crap. I suppose I gave enough of a crap to spring for 2 tickets and haul myself out there. I can't remember what was more of a chore, the drive or the game. I remember ASU thinking after they won, "crap, we have to go play another game". Both teams just wanted the season to end. You are just writing drivel.

Reaction Score
This is bad for college basketball, but a good sign for UConn. This is Fox dipping their toe in the waters of eventually breaking away from the NCAAs, but the fact that the Big East is being included in those plans (at least right now) means we're likely to be part of the breakaway assuming we're still in the Big East.
Well, it means we're included as long as FOX remains our broadcast partner. I'm curious how they are able to use the Big 12 in this scenario when they split TV rights with ESPN. Why wouldn't ESPN counter with an expanded NIT that includes the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and A10 or whoever?

Tinfoil hat version of me agrees that this is FOX testing the waters on a tournament in an effort to potentially work with ESPN to steal all the power conferences away from CBS/Turner...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well, we didn't. Nobody gave a crap. I suppose I gave enough of a crap to spring for 2 tickets and haul myself out there. I can't remember what was more of a chore, the drive or the game. I remember ASU thinking after they won, "crap, we have to go play another game". Both teams just wanted the season to end. You are just writing drivel.
Then don't accept the NIT invite. My point is only that if UConn plays, treat it like it matters. Players and fans alike.

I really don't think this proposed tournament would be any different.

DCT

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the attempt to put together a tournament of all the teams that didn't qualify for 2018 World Cup. It was quickly called the World Crap by fans and never went anywhere.
If it is crap that's Fox problem no?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is the first step of colleges leaving the NCAA. They’ll test it out in basketball, and with the NIT. Good. The sooner, the better for us.

Lol….no, not good.

When we’re talking about schools leaving the NCAA, we’re not talking about UConn and the Big East.

Reaction Score
Like the adults giving participation trophies to whoever plays, NOW everyone in college basketball will play in a postseason tournament.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think you're living in fantasy land. If any of the other blue bloods were making a big deal out of winning in the NIT there would be 10 threads on this board mocking them endlessly for it. The players don't care about it so there's no reason fans should either. Especially for UConn fans when it's all about national championships
Kansas claims a retro active “national championship” given out by the Pillsbury Doughboy as a legit title. I wish we would make fun of them for that more here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Presenting this as an opportunity to give a school and their players a leg up on potential NIL money is a bold marketing maneuver that may make this far more attractive than the other also ran post season tournaments.

That it is the two conferences that are outside the inevitable Power Two speaks volumes.

There currently is an NCAA rule (which they likely will not consider rescinding) where if you turn down an invitation to an NCAA run postseason tournament (NCAA had owned the NIT for more than a decade now) you cannot participate in another postseason tournament.

Risking what the result of testing the NCAA's resolve on this may well be worth the risk for the BE & B-12, the B1G may be far more cautious as they are playing a long game that still had more than a decade remaining before all of the pieces fall into place. They aren't going to benefit from this anywhere near as much as the other two conferences and making waves may not be in their best interests for a while.

Reaction Score
Lol….no, not good.

When we’re talking about schools leaving the NCAA, we’re not talking about UConn and the Big East.
The sooner they break away and form their own conferences into which we may be invited, the better. This is the first step towards that. We’re never getting into the B1G, Big 12, or ACC under the NCAA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom