Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
I would very much imagine FS2 gets shuttered and that content is moved elsewhere. I can’t believe they still operate it to be honest

I think UConn will be least impacted by this from a linear games standpoint but don’t kid yourself.. this isn’t anywhere near the current state in terms of overall linear games for the entire league. And we’ll still have anywhere from 4-8 streaming only games going forwards… there’s minimums for each team in every package that gets offered to media companies.

Long story short- if you’re Providence, Butler, Xavier, etc…. get ready to learn AppleTV buddy
I actually was thinking it would impact UConn the most. Purely anecdotal but it feels like Peacock has been getting a lot of Purdue MBB and Iowa WBB to bring more viewers to the service, but I could be totally wrong.

Reaction Score
And you know this how?
I don't but considering Fox has the B12 coming on board the same season that our negotiation ends I can't imagine the BE valuation in their eyes would grow as much as it should

Reaction Score
But what would be their reasoning to get involved? It's the "common good" for there to be collegiate athletics? In Alabama they'll happily root for the semi-pro Crimson Tide, they have for years. If the NFL thought they could come up with a model they could monetize through a soccer-esque academy system, they're going to do it regardless of what happens in the NCAA or whatever model the P2 comes up with post-breakaway. Until then the power schools are happy to scoop up as much of the revenue as possible. I think someone else mentioned it but there's the adage that "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" and right now the P2 is deciding just how much do they want to be pigs and share a pittance of the largess or hog it all for themselves. Past history indicates they'll eventually go after it all...

I just don't see Congress getting involved, if you're the senator from Ohio or Texas are you going to do anything that risks alienating fans of the major teams in your state not voting for you? If the P2 conferences can't see past their own greed to not kill the golden goose, Congress doesn't seem like a likely candidate to bail them out. Even if it were so inclined to hold hearing and take up the conversation with the current political environment there is about 0.1% chance of there being enough consensus to come up with a bill that would pass both houses and get signed into law.
I am curious how the state legislators will view these changes and evolution. With all this money coming in to a big time school, why should the state continue to fund the state school at the same level. For UConn - if we were in those conferences - I'd be certain the CRDA would increase rent for us. The state would not approve funding increases. The school has the money already, use that.

Also is sad that the point of college sports was prestige, awareness and student life. Not football money. Hence activity funds. Those days are gone.

Reaction Score
I don't but considering Fox has the B12 coming on board the same season that our negotiation ends I can't imagine the BE valuation in their eyes would grow as much as it should
The big 12 is making up the hole the PAC 12 is leaving. They still need the big east content

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I actually was thinking it would impact UConn the most. Purely anecdotal but it feels like Peacock has been getting a lot of Purdue MBB and Iowa WBB to bring more viewers to the service, but I could be totally wrong.
Yeah… it very well could impact us greatly. Its impossible to know anything for sure without knowing what the deal looks like… a lot will depend on how many games FOX keeps in their inventory IMO… if they slash it in half for instance streaming may wind up with a much larger inventory than I’m thinking now.

Based on the report from Ourand.. it sounds to me like the “third package” is all of the crappy non-conference games plus lower end conference games (think DePaul v Buter or something like that) with the FOX/CBS packages being split somewhat evenly. I imagine FOX feels some loyalty to the BE because they signed with them in 2014 but that doesn’t mean they’ll overpay or overcommit coverage to the league. We’ll see what happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is great news to me.. I thought FOX had filled up their content with the big10 and big 12 contracts and that Fox was playing hardball with the big east since the big east is two weeks away from going into the open market without a deal

There is a sizable component of UConn football fans that want the annihilation of UConn’s athletic program because it joined the Big East.

Reaction Score
This issue has been laid out before. FOX really didn't increase their basketball content with their new contracts, gain some there, lose some there. But, losing the Big East would create a massive hole in their college basketball content as FOX covers over 120 games. And, they only potentially have one conference tournament for the foreseeable future, the Big East as they do not have rights for the Big 12 or Big 10 conference tournaments. I think what many people miss is that the BTN, SECN, and ACCN consume by far most of those conferences basketball content which is why the Big East is valuable to FOX as they offer a lot of content for FS1 and FS2. This is also why people can't compare the ratings of the entire Big East conference slate of basketball games on the FOX networks vs a small subset of the Big 10 games on the FOX networks.

Reaction Score
Yeah… it very well could impact us greatly. Its impossible to know anything for sure without knowing what the deal looks like… a lot will depend on how many games FOX keeps in their inventory IMO… if they slash it in half for instance streaming may wind up with a much larger inventory than I’m thinking now.

Based on the report from Ourand.. it sounds to me like the “third package” is all of the crappy non-conference games plus lower end conference games (think DePaul v Buter or something like that) with the FOX/CBS packages being split somewhat evenly. I imagine FOX feels some loyalty to the BE because they signed with them in 2014 but that doesn’t mean they’ll overpay or overcommit coverage to the league. We’ll see what happens.
Ah that makes sense. Ourand goes out of his way to mention FOX has loyalty to Big East and one of the best relationships with Big East execs so it really could be just the bad games rather than the good which would be pretty big.

Drew

Reaction Score
Ah that makes sense. Ourand goes out of his way to mention FOX has loyalty to Big East and one of the best relationships with Big East execs so it really could be just the bad games rather than the good which would be pretty big.
Yup… and there’s a bunch of nuance to it obviously too. Peacock isn’t going to sign up to only stream Jackson State @ Seton Hall or whatever. They only do that so they can also stream UConn v Villanova. So there’s give and take. You just hope the give is less than the take in this scenario

Frankly- FOX re-upping with a reduced commitment makes a ton of sense. Big East conference v conference games average ~211k viewers on FS1. FOX could easily have filled that inventory with B1G womens hoops, mens hoops, etc. I hope if they get a more selective inventory of games and averages go up that they’ll keep them around after the next deal ends. Will be curious if the Big East follows the other leagues with a shorter deal between 4-6 years or if they look for some more long term security (while likely sacrificing money).

Reaction Score
There is a sizable component of UConn football fans that want the annihilation of UConn’s athletic program because it joined the Big East.
Why do you keep posting this crap? I have yet to meet a football fan who doesn’t love all UConn sports. Most of us were surprised by the BE move, but it’s not like the AAC was helping us. What we want is a real conference that supports ALL our sports.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yup… and there’s a bunch of nuance to it obviously too. Peacock isn’t going to sign up to only stream Jackson State @ Seton Hall or whatever. They only do that so they can also stream UConn v Villanova. So there’s give and take. You just hope the give is less than the take in this scenario

Frankly- FOX re-upping with a reduced commitment makes a ton of sense. Big East conference v conference games average ~211k viewers on FS1. FOX could easily have filled that inventory with B1G womens hoops, mens hoops, etc. I hope if they get a more selective inventory of games and averages go up that they’ll keep them around after the next deal ends. Will be curious if the Big East follows the other leagues with a shorter deal between 4-6 years or if they look for some more long term security (while likely sacrificing money).

Feels like a 5 year offer might be the game here...line things up with what will probably be another exciting round of CRA at the end of the decade.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why do you keep posting this crap? I have yet to meet a football fan who doesn’t love all UConn sports. Most of us were surprised by the BE move, but it’s not like the AAC was helping us. What we want is a real conference that supports ALL our sports.

I will rephrase. There is a small, very active posting component of UConn football fans on this board that seem to root for the annihilation of the UConn athletic program because it joined the Big East.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see who this 3rd party is and assuming it's a streamer -- which one. Fox doesn't have a sports streaming service. Apple hasn't been overly successful. Peacock is NBC owned and probably feels good about their content with Big 10. Might ESPN be in play for those tier 3 rights? There's a ton of stuff on ESPN+ already but rumors are they'll be raising the price soon. Paramount Plus may be a likely option as well since that's CBS owned and they have some sports there (mainly soccer.)

Drew

Reaction Score
Feels like a 5 year offer might be the game here...line things up with what will probably be another exciting round of CRA at the end of the decade.
I would tend to agree.

In today’s media landscape and with added teams going to the B1G in the next TV deal, I can’t envision FOX wanting to do anything more than 5 years either. Win for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
Sankey is the Borg...after destroying football, basketball could be his next target.

In a recent phone interview, Sankey acknowledged the tournament is one of the few things that bonds the disparate world of Division I together. "Nothing remains static," he told ESPN. "I think we have to think about the dynamics around Division I and the tournament."

He added that recent runs by UCLA from the First Four to the Final Four in 2021 and Syracuse's run to the round of 16 beginning with a play-in game in Dayton in 2018 show the caliber of power-conference teams on the fringe of the NCAA tournament.

"That just tells you that the bandwidth inside the top 50 is highly competitive," Sankey said. "We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers [from smaller leagues], and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion."

Reaction Score
Sankey is the Borg...after destroying football, basketball could be his next target.

In a recent phone interview, Sankey acknowledged the tournament is one of the few things that bonds the disparate world of Division I together. "Nothing remains static," he told ESPN. "I think we have to think about the dynamics around Division I and the tournament."

He added that recent runs by UCLA from the First Four to the Final Four in 2021 and Syracuse's run to the round of 16 beginning with a play-in game in Dayton in 2018 show the caliber of power-conference teams on the fringe of the NCAA tournament.

"That just tells you that the bandwidth inside the top 50 is highly competitive," Sankey said. "We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers [from smaller leagues], and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion."
He's not wrong about the major conferences. They have expanded and some of the conferences probably deserve more bids. I think he is pushing for expansion by talking about the small conferences' auto bids to get more people on his side.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

This is the stuff that pisses me off beyond end.

When they first moved beyond 64 (when the 16 member WAC split into the WAC & Mountain West) the reasoning was that they couldn't take away any automatic bids from a lesser conference. Obviously the idea of taking away an at large, that almost assuredly would go to a member of a power conference was never a possibility.

The play-in games that they've refused to call play-in games deprive some schools of the actual experience, which is entirely bullspit. The champion of the Big Sky, the MEAC, etc should be part of the 64 team field that begins play on the Thursday after selections Sunday. That school did everything it was required to do (win it's confreence's autobid) while being afforded one opportunity. The last school from one of the power conferences to receive an at large bid had countless opportunities to earn its way into the field and failed nearly all of them. If one of those schools still needs the opportunity to be part of the NCAA tournament, they should be playing in Dayton against a school with a similar claim. Yes, they did a (surprinsingly) good thing when they went to four of these games by having the final at large teams participate in two of them but they really should have the final eight at large do this. They also should have only at large bids play these games once they expand.

I know an eleven seed from the SEC or B-12 will more likley make it through a few rounds than the one representative of any of the bottome five or six conferences. That isn't the point. Abelene Christian, Coppin St, Mercer, Valparaiso, Oral Roberts, Richmond, Hampton, Norfolk St, St Peters, Cleveland St, Middle Tennessee, Fairleigh Dickenson and UMBC are as much of the fabric of this tournament as shots by Laetner or Suggs.

Reaction Score

Sankey wants to take away the one thing that makes March Madness special. Many people watch because they want to see Cinderellas take out giants, and it has happened countless times throughout the history of the tournament.

If he gets his way, he will kill March too just like SEC and B1G are doing to college football.

Reaction Score
Sankey wants to take away the one thing that makes March Madness special. Many people watch because they want to see Cinderellas take out giants, and it has happened countless times throughout the history of the tournament.

If he gets his way, he will kill March too just like SEC and B1G are doing to college football.
The P2 can dictate college football, but not college basketball. There are too many schools involved in the NCAA basketball tournament and the real power brokers in college basketball are the networks and they want the current format to continue. That said, there will probably be tournament expansion.

BTW, the last P2 school to win the NCAA championship was Kentucky in 2012.

Reaction Score
The P2 can dictate college football, but not college basketball. There are too many schools involved in the NCAA basketball tournament and the real power brokers in college basketball are the networks and they want the current format to continue. That said, there will probably be tournament expansion.

BTW, the last P2 school to win the NCAA championship was Kentucky in 2012.
Bingo. I don't know why everyone doesn't understand this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom