Fouls Drawn In Big East Play - I crunched the numbers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fouls Drawn In Big East Play - I crunched the numbers

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Could you generate an equalized comparison by team?
I believe this is what you're looking for? For reference, UConn attempts 29.2 FG per game at the rim + paint, draws 3.6 fouls per game on those shots, for a 12.33% foul rate.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.40.31 AM.png

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Actually, the correlation makes perfect sense. Ice cream sales are up in warm weather as are water activities. Much ice cream is consumed in seasonal shops near water. Swimming decreases in cold weather as do ice cream sales.

Therefore one could be fairly certain that an increase in ice cream sales would positively correlate to an increase in drownings. Not causal, but a strong and predictable correlation.
Really?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One possible explanation on Adama is that he’s very patient and methodical on the low block and he plays below the rim. His strength is in his footwork and touch, not his size or explosiveness. What Providence did yesterday and what many teams do is try to crowd him and take away his ability to pivot. It allows for the defense to close out in control and stay straight up making him uncomfortable vs. having to say meet a player at the rim who is attacking as soon as they get a touch.
Yeah, sort of. But they crowd him with arms up, and those arms aren't truly vertical, they angle in. He gets hit by those arms sometimes 3-4 times a possession. Are they hard fouls? No. But they are the exact same fouls Alex Karaban gets called for every time. He's an And One machine because of it. Sanogo is probably fouled 6-8 times a game that aren't called. I'm fine with those, as long as our guys aren't being called for that either. But they are.

I said in chat against PC, you know the refs haven't been paid off, because nobody who was paid off would make it this obvious. It's beyond that and it seems quite personal and intentional. I'm very curious to see what happens tomorrow, and I think McLovin should post this on Twitter and tag Dave B.

Reaction Score
Yeah, sort of. But they crowd him with arms up, and those arms aren't truly vertical, they angle in. He gets hit by those arms sometimes 3-4 times a possession. Are they hard fouls? No. But they are the exact same fouls Alex Karaban gets called for every time. He's an And One machine because of it. Sanogo is probably fouled 6-8 times a game that aren't called. I'm fine with those, as long as our guys aren't being called for that either. But they are.

I said in chat against PC, you know the refs haven't been paid off, because nobody who was paid off would make it this obvious. It's beyond that and it seems quite personal and intentional. I'm very curious to see what happens tomorrow, and I think McLovin should post this on Twitter and tag Dave B.
That was the problem with the PC game, they weren't calling the same stuff both ways. If you're going to allow physical play do it for both teams, if you're going to call it tight do it both ways. We did foul too much playing defense in a typical game but PC was doing the same thing on our offensive end with no whistle.

Alex is getting called on some of those and 1's because he's late coming over on a driving layup. Sanogo's are when he's trying to pirouette all over the place under the hoop, sometimes the defenders are bumping him and aren't vertical with their arms but Sanogo doesn't get the benefit because he plays such a finesse style and doesn't seek out contact under there.

Reaction Score
Really?
Yeah, it's just common sense. Ice cream sales are highest in the hottest months. The highest number of swimmers are in the water in the highest temperature months, hence more drownings.

I bet something like motorcycle accidents would correlate pretty well because motorcycle riding is low in the winter and high in the summer. As I said, not cause/effect but a predictable correlation.

Reaction Score
Adama rarely travels because he has such great footwork and use of his pivot foot. He is all about finesse than going up strong and drawing the foul. He would rather attempt to make a 2 point bucket than draw a foul. He certainly isn't going catch the ball in the block and immediately pass it out.
Agreed. You don't draw a lot of fouls taking jump hooks and pirouette moves underneath the rim for protection. You probably see more fouls on these bigs on the floor trying to establish position. Often times bigs help their teams get into the bonus this way, but arent the ones ultimately shooting the free throws. Aside from him being a superior 3pt shooter, Dixon is probably the closest thing to Sanogo in the Big East? Also way down the list. Where did his numbers get a bump up? Mismatches on switches or against UCONN, backing down guys in isolation because Hurley opted to let him do that vs. doubling. Short of that, he has been to the line once in 3 other games. The formula thus far has been to double Sanogo and let Jackson shoot 3s. Jackson successful against Nova, not so much vs Xavier and PC.

I also pointed out to our "stats team" that the big east season is still very young. It would be interesting to look at the same numbers over the course of last FULL Big East season? Because a big part of drawing fouls is skill and style of play, some teams are going to have more personnel that are better at it than others. Because of these large disparities between players, what does it look like when you take the best and worst players numbers out from each team.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No, they just decided it was okay for Providence to body our guards and bridge our big man and then call those fouls on the other end.
Providence bodies cutters . It’s a Cooley signature.

This isn’t a comment at you, but in general to the BY after this loss. Classic big East hoops. We thought we were kings. We ain’t right now. Providence out BigEast’d us. Don’t cry. We were away from league. Now we are back. Adjust.

We'd be undefeated in pac12 I don't want to be pac12 or 10 or 8. I want to win bigeast wars

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

ur starting to sound like a forum shopper. u know, looking far and wide for an audience to hear some crapola that doesn't really exist. butthurt is not an actionable offense. even when u do get lucky forum shopping, usually there's a higher court that sez 'sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up for today.'
u can do it. put ur toes in the water of the great 'out-there,' where apparently no one other than us local dreamers share the opinion that 'they're all trying to get us!'
the overwhelming majority, like 100%, of other cbb hoop chatters, are like 'youse are whiny, stop imagining things that are not there.'

really killing our former 'Connecticut, accomplished and dignified, tho we dislike u immensely, rep.' in this life, respect goes a lot further than 'like.' and now, we're gettin dissed on a regular basis. not good.
here, have a lovely beat,
too much with the bickering, kill it with the sound...

Reaction Score

This isn’t a comment at you, but in general to the BY after this loss. Classic big East hoops. We thought we were kings. We ain’t right now. Providence out BigEast’d us. Don’t cry. We were away from league. Now we are back. Adjust.

We'd be underrated in pac12 I don't want tbe pac12 or 10 it 8. I want to win bigeast wars
Again, I'm fine with it if it's called both ways. They bodied all game long with rarely a whistle until a couple minutes left and the game was over, we bodied all game and got called for fouls all game.

Good for Cooley and Providence, I like them but the refs were wildly inconsistent that game. Didn't have a problem with the refs in the Xavier game.

Reaction Score

We'd be undefeated in pac12 I don't want to be pac12 or 10 or 8. I want to win bigeast wars
I guess the gripe is why weren’t we allowed to do the same thing? Also they missed calls both ways to be fair. It just seemed that the calls they missed on providence turned into huge momentum plays. Ie when they stripped Sanogo by damn near arm hooking his entire arm that led to that huge Noah Locke 3. And then the next time down when we were on defense they call us for a cheap reach in. You can’t not call that assault on Sanogo and then call us for a tickle reach lol

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this is where our collective heads should be at, with a big game coming up.
Don't worry about it, people, we'll walk you through it
Step by step, like an infant new kid
Inch by inch with the new solution
Transmit hits, with no delusion

The feeling's irresistible and that's how we movin'

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I guess the gripe is why weren’t we allowed to do the same thing? Also they missed calls both ways to be fair. It just seemed that the calls they missed on providence turned into huge momentum plays. Ie when they stripped Sanogo by damn near arm hooking his entire arm that led to that huge Noah Locke 3. And then the next time down when we were on defense they call us for a cheap reach in. You can’t not call that assault on Sanogo and then call us for a tickle reach lol
We didn't do the same thing. Because we don't do that. So when we do we aren't practiced on it. It’s a style. It’s how a team chooses to play. Fouls are missed on both teams EVERY game. Picking out one vs another is futile. Example? Against Xavier Sanogo extended his arm and nunge flopped, and he got a T for a flop call. Later Newton did nothing and dude flopped and it was a charge on Newton. Basketball, how does it work?
Dauster has it right , this bitching makes us sound like a poverty program.

Providence played to their identity and beat us on their home court and got some calls. Kudos. Move on.

Reaction Score
We didn't do the same thing. Because we don't do that. So when we do we aren't practiced on it. It’s a style. It’s how a team chooses to play. Fouls are missed on both teams EVERY game. Picking out one vs another is futile. Example? Against Xavier Sanogo extended his arm and nunge flopped, and he got a T for a flop call. Later Newton did nothing and dude flopped and it was a charge on Newton. Basketball, how does it work?
Dauster has it right , this bitching makes us sound like a poverty program.

Providence played to their identity and beat us on their home court and got some calls. Kudos. Move on.
Villanova does this to PC every year and always beat us at the free throw line and it is never because they aren’t better than us and the refs gave it to them. It is because they draw fouls and hit free throws.

All the whiners need to get a new, less embarrassing hobby than finding sabermetrics for how there is a conspiracy against UConn. Grow up Peter Pan.

Reaction Score
I watched a bit of Xavier v St John's game where they had the coaches "miked-up". At half time, Mike Anderson, the coach of St John's gave a speech that, if I recall correctly, said, "we need to turn this into a street fight". It should be a basketball game not a street fight! Locker room talk can be colorful, I know. Still this was his strategy. It is a strategy because the coaches know the officials can't discern a street fight from solid basketball. This is the problem. Unfortunately, the BE embraces and wears it as a badge of honor. Allowing games to disintegrate into a street fight is unacceptable, IMO. Bad officiating flourishes in the BE. I doubt they have it out for just UConn. It is a conference thing. It forces UConn to rework itself into something it may not be good at. That is my fear. But there is still a long way to go and I have hope UConn will adapt.
It’s how they played in the old big East. The kicked the crap out of each other then went into the tournament prepared. If you weren’t good or tough enough you ended up with a losing record. It’s big East ball. Love it or leave it

Reaction Score
I had a stats teacher at UConn present a strong correlation between eating ice cream, and drownings. The correlation was undeniable.

Digging deeper, it wasn't because Ben and Jerry's was offing ice cream lovers.

Hurley being an ass may affect a call or two. But it had nothing to do with a 10 pt, or 12 point loss.
Oh my I better give up ice cream lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You seem upset Friar. Is it not enough for PC to win the game, you need us to somehow validated as well?

Well, that’s very Rutgers of you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe, but bodying is much more of a foul than reaching. That‘s what we saw. Soft, inconsequential fouls that are meaningless were called on UConn, hard fouls by PC were let go. PC also reached on Sanogo endlessly without calls. If that’s the way it is fine, I would plan to hip check Hopkins into the stands every possession. We will just have to play ugly, thug basketball I guess. That style isn’t going to translate in the tournament. Fouls should be based on the extent to which they impact play, and what we saw was the opposite.

Reaction Score
Villanova does this to PC every year and always beat us at the free throw line and it is never because they aren’t better than us and the refs gave it to them. It is because they draw fouls and hit free throws.

All the whiners need to get a new, less embarrassing hobby than finding sabermetrics for how there is a conspiracy against UConn. Grow up Peter Pan.
Grow up Peter Pan is probably the least mature way you could’ve ended that.

Reaction Score
Croswell was playing bulldozer and still managed to get a call. Why does a defender have to fall outside of the circle to get a call?

Reaction Score
Providence beat St. John’s today. They got 14 more FTs (34-20) than SJU did. No conspiracy. These guys know how to draw fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom