Fouls Drawn In Big East Play - I crunched the numbers | The Boneyard

Fouls Drawn In Big East Play - I crunched the numbers

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Figured I share this with everyone here.

I wanted to take a look at how UConn is at drawing fouls on drives compared to the rest of the Big East.

There are 58 players who have attempted at least 3 shots per game in the paint + at the rim and here is where UConn players rank (data is from in-conference games only):
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 1.36.53 PM.png

What's even more mind bending are the fouls (not called) on Sanogo. Across the Big East with other high usage centers, they draw fouls on nearly 17% of their shots, compared to Sanogo who only draws fouls on 5.6%

Make of this what you wish. I know officiating has been discussed in like 100 different threads, but I figured I'd put some data together to see if it backs up the whistles we see / don't see.

Anyone who wants to double check my work or play around with the numbers can use this Google Sheet here:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Figured I share this with everyone here.

I wanted to take a look at how UConn is at drawing fouls on drives compared to the rest of the Big East.

There are 58 players who have attempted at least 3 shots per game in the paint + at the rim and here is where UConn players rank (data is from in-conference games only):
View attachment 82718
What's even more mind bending are the fouls (not called) on Sanogo. Across the Big East with other high usage centers, they draw fouls on nearly 17% of their shots, compared to Sanogo who only draws fouls on 5.6%

Make of this what you wish. I know officiating has been discussed in like 100 different threads, but I figured I'd put some data together to see if it backs up the whistles we see / don't see.

Anyone who wants to double check my work or play around with the numbers can use this Google Sheet here:

thoughtful, factual, impressive. thanks.
doesn't belong in this joint tho, cuz we're told it's all
le conspire grande! pardon my french.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Idk if there is a reffing bias beyond college refs just tend to be atrocious.

I still don’t understand how Croswell getting low and driving his legs as hard as he can to try to run over Sanogo while Sanogo holds his ground is a defensive foul.

Reaction Score
This is clear to see watching the games. I sort of expected the truth to be somewhere in between when I clicked on your post since perception is often skewed by bias. The refs, in fact, hate us. The league should tell the refs to stop trying to kill the golden goose and call it fairly. The Big East needs us to be strong this season.

This also shows more evidence that Newton needs to be a bit more me first and just attack the damn basket.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
One possible explanation on Adama is that he’s very patient and methodical on the low block and he plays below the rim. His strength is in his footwork and touch, not his size or explosiveness. What Providence did yesterday and what many teams do is try to crowd him and take away his ability to pivot. It allows for the defense to close out in control and stay straight up making him uncomfortable vs. having to say meet a player at the rim who is attacking as soon as they get a touch.

Reaction Score
this is what ive been saying on twitter and i just get called a "crybaby" UConn fan. Its so lopsided its not funny. The Big East officials want us out of the top 25. Games not close to being called down the middle. You would think the conference would want to pump up their powerhouse but they just hate our guts, Hurleys guts...etc

Reaction Score
Before we jump on the refs, I would say that the common thread is that a lot of our players are particularly averse to contact on the offensive end.

Most of Sanogo's shots are taken while falling away from the basket or using the rim for protection. Hawkins has gotten fouled on his 3-ball, but we all know that driving is not a huge part of his game. It has been discussed ad-nauseum here how Jackson seems to find creative ways to avoid contact at the rim, or defaults too much to the three.

Maybe the whistle has been a little bit biased - I have no way to say - but there is more than meets the eye with stats alone. Really good analysis regardless

Reaction Score
One, I do think refs are sticking it to DH a bit. Probably started with the GT game where he kept calling the ref a “… Clown”. They’re human, I’d probably do the same. Hopefully just a 2 game thing to prove a point

Two, as some have said, our guys a very soft at the rim and avoid contact. AJ is most confusing as he’s aggressive and plays with an edge, except when driving to the hoop. Newton is such a good foul shooter, wish he was also more comfortable going up and drawing contact.

Reaction Score
One possible explanation on Adama is that he’s very patient and methodical on the low block and he plays below the rim. His strength is in his footwork and touch, not his size or explosiveness. What Providence did yesterday and what many teams do is try to crowd him and take away his ability to pivot. It allows for the defense to close out in control and stay straight up making him uncomfortable vs. having to say meet a player at the rim who is attacking as soon as they get a touch.
That's what I see with him as well. He might get bumped sometimes with no call but it's mostly just guys crowding him and Adama trying to pirouette and do all sorts of crazy footwork to score. He's a really difficult player to ref, he's huge but he's a finesse player once he has the ball and they're probably looking at his feet half the time. He's also often times falling away. On his missed bunnies in the second half he seemed to try and sneak the layups in quickly and shortarmed them.

I thought the refs were terrible last night, I saw our guards getting bumped a lot with no fouls while it was constantly being called the other way but Providence was the more aggressive team on offense and the more aggressive team pretty much always wins the fouls battle. We have not been playing an aggressive driving brand of basketball. I do believe Goodman that the refs hurt Hurley though and that needs to be fixed.

Clingan seems to be the only guy playing super aggressive out there around the hoop on both ends and he racks up fouls on people.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Idk if there is a reffing bias beyond college refs just tend to be atrocious.

I still don’t understand how Croswell getting low and driving his legs as hard as he can to try to run over Sanogo while Sanogo holds his ground is a defensive foul.

On at least one of those drives Sanogo was lunging over in to Croswell and reaching out with both his arms. You are going to get called for that everytime. Keep your upper body straight and don't reach with you arms.

Reaction Score
100% its retaliation for him mouthing "you're a clown" its been egregious and completely lopsided in both games since he did that. The kids are paying for it, instead of fining him as a conference and moving on. Last night i saw the players frustration bubble over more than once at the officiating.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
PC has 4 in the top 30, UConn has 1. Xavier has 4, UConn has 1
This is not based solely on just the UConn/PC game and the UConn/Xavier game
I am not saying that the NBE officiating is even at a fair level but this list is very telling - some players know how to draw fouls while some don't. It can be taught.

Reaction Score
I think these are the two reason why Adama does not get more fouls called on his opponent:

Hopkins last night initiated all the contact by jumping into his defender, he was called once for it.

Most of Sanogo's shots are taken while falling away from the basket or using the rim for protection

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
That's what I see with him as well. He might get bumped sometimes with no call but it's mostly just guys crowding him and Adama trying to pirouette and do all sorts of crazy footwork to score. He's a really difficult player to ref, he's huge but he's a finesse player once he has the ball and they're probably looking at his feet half the time. He's also often times falling away. On his missed bunnies in the second half he seemed to try and sneak the layups in quickly and shortarmed them.

I thought the refs were terrible last night, I saw our guards getting bumped a lot with no fouls while it was constantly being called the other way but Providence was the more aggressive team on offense and the more aggressive team pretty much always wins the fouls battle. We have not been playing an aggressive driving brand of basketball. I do believe Goodman that the refs hurt Hurley though and that needs to be fixed.

Clingan seems to be the only guy playing super aggressive out there around the hoop on both ends and he racks up fouls on people.
Spot on. I’d like to make one thing clear as well, I thought yesterday was complete BS. X was what it was because we took 37 threes. Yesterday we played in the paint and it was not called like for like at all.

But here’s the silver lining: It’s hard for anyone to win on the road in CBB. We have now lost two games on the road to arguably two of the top 4 teams in conference. These are not fall back from the pack losses. Creighton at home is a must win. Put it in pocket and go after a qualtiy road win at Marquette. Win both and we’re still very much on schedule for meeting our goal in the 2nd season.

Reaction Score
I feel as though Adama could either be called for a travel or have a foul called on whoever is guarding him every time he makes a move in the post.

And here is a cute puppy…

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN
Adama rarely travels because he has such great footwork and use of his pivot foot. He is all about finesse than going up strong and drawing the foul. He would rather attempt to make a 2 point bucket than draw a foul. He certainly isn't going catch the ball in the block and immediately pass it out.

Reaction Score
This is clear to see watching the games. I sort of expected the truth to be somewhere in between when I clicked on your post since perception is often skewed by bias. The refs, in fact, hate us. The league should tell the refs to stop trying to kill the golden goose and call it fairly. The Big East needs us to be strong this season.

This also shows more evidence that Newton needs to be a bit more me first and just attack the damn basket.
LOL

Reaction Score

You can’t be serious. I’ll take this is an attempt rapt comedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom