Fought our hearts out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fought our hearts out

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The effort was great. Thus team isn't all that talented yet we hung in there against a really good team. Just too many missed jumpers and layups.

And even though the refs blew some calls late, we shot 40+ free throws. I can't lay this loss at the refs' feet when we shot so many more FTs than Wichita.

Reaction Score
I want to applaud them for effort I really want to but I cant because it sends the wrong message, and it would be disrespectful to the team if I did.
Good for you....I applaud the effort because it was an epic comeback and they were screwed

Reaction Score
The smart play was to call a TO
Oh jeez, hadn’t thought of that. You’re absolutely right. The way that game was officiated the refs probably would’ve missed it.

Shockers (a well coached team with smart players) could’ve fouled then, though.

Reaction Score
Good for you....I applaud the effort because it was an epic comeback and they were screwed

Is any player on the team happy right now? Just because I dont applaud the effort doesnt mean I dont respect it.

Reaction Score
Is any player on the team happy right now? Just because I dont applaud the effort doesnt mean I dont respect it.
Who said they're happy...they're pissed and crushed I hope about the loss.

They should have won so I don't treat it like a normal loss where they played bad or made crucial mistakes. They made the winning plays, the CV save to AG was a game winning play the ref took away in real time so not on them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
To the fans that left at the end of regulation... YOU SUCK! Sad excuse UConn fans! Don’t come to another game please. At least the seats will be available to real fans. You should be ashamed of yourselves leaving like that, during a Sunday afternoon game no less!
I left right under 3 .i knew we weren’t winning the game. I was right. Come at me.

Real uconn fans number in the 100’s.And if you don’t know that you aren’t a real UConn fan. You sit there through njit? You sit there thought unh? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was insane. Im like emotionally drained after that one. The crowd was great, and to the fans that left early and missed out...what is the point of leaving early? I always wondered why thats like the hit thing to do. Ive probably been to about 100+ UConn games over the years, and I can honestly say that I never once left a game early.

Reaction Score
The effort was great. Thus team isn't all that talented yet we hung in there against a really good team. Just too many missed jumpers and layups.

And even though the refs blew some calls late, we shot 40+ free throws. I can't lay this loss at the refs' feet when we shot so many more FTs than Wichita.
The reason we shot so many fouls is that Wichita plays with the philosophy that you foul, foul and fouls some more. The refs cant call them all. They go 10 deep so that works for them.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I left right under 3 . Come at me.

Real ucon fans number in the 100’s.And if you don’t know that you aren’t a real UConn fan. You sit there through njit? You sit there thought unh? I highly doubt it.

(Rolling my eyes) excuses... yes actually I do. I’m usually one of the last to come out the building.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The last 1:05 of regulation was excellent and showed all of us that this team does have some fight in them after all. They just need to be able to shut the door in OT when they had a chance. Hitting free throws is a must. If they hot 75% they win the game.

Reaction Score
The worst ref was the little one with balding hair. He was much more interested in making sure players shirts were tucked in and players took throw ins from two feet away from where they lined up. He anticipated one call on Vital before Vital made his move. On several calls the play had moved on before he blew his whistle.
Hopefully this crew does not ref Big East games next year,

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Tremendous effort today. First loss we've had in a while where I have no team complaints. Kind of weird for the Boneyard, eh?

Reaction Score
Hurley said in the postgame and also pre season that his expectation is each game in year 2 should be a win or a very tough loss. Doesn’t mean 100% it will happen but that is the expectation.

Reaction Score
Don't know what happened to change the team in last minute of reg time, but need to bring that feel to rest of game. Does DH use an electric cow prod?

Reaction Score
get cliff here no matter what it takes.
would emphasize this 100 times. Cliff or Bruner. It may take ushering someone we already have out, and you gotta do that if you are Hurley. The "loyalty" plan hasn't worked out. He doesn't owe all of these current players a spot next season.

Reaction Score
They have had a number of character game where they fought their rear ends off, but I’m not sure they are learning from it. Carlton and AG remain huge impediments to winning. The list of ways they undermined a win today are too long to list. Hurley has to keep Bouk, Sid, Akok, CV on the floor as much as possible.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The day we start applauding losses is when we are no longer a top tier program
Is appreciating effort the same as applauding losses? No one is glad we lost but if you can't see the positives in this team fighting as hard as it did through two OTs, I feel bad for you.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, and why does any of that matter? When has Uconn been all about winning participation trophies, to me a loss is a loss and a win is a win. I have my own policy that I cant applaud effort I applaud results thats what im all about.
You revealed much by jumping so instantly to the "participation trophy" trope. Not my words and certainly not my point of view, so pretty easy to dismiss the pushback against something I didn't say that you did. .
If it's your policy, I can't object, but you phrased it in such a way that suggested a compliment sent by anyone would be a wrong message and disrespectful. That's the distinction between your use of the pronoun "it" rather than "I." You'd already used the pronoun "I" to state what you really wanted to do but couldn't. That would make it easy for me to misunderstand you.
A loss is a loss, and a win is a win. On that we can agree.
I spell UConn with a capital C, because Connecticut is a proper noun. I have no idea why you use a lower case c. Could just be an error or typo on your part.
Oh yeah, and I've only been answering your initially asked question about why any of what I wrote matters. If you were clearer that you were being fully personally expressive and simply frustrated by the tension between wanting to offer a compliment and the principled position not to, then I simply register that I don't share your policy, even if my offered alternate would be a suggestion if you asked.

Oddly enough, all these words add up to, "Whatever."

Reaction Score
Is appreciating effort the same as applauding losses? No one is glad we lost but it you can't see the positives in this team fighting as hard as did through two OTs, I feel bad for you.
gonna correct that, I mispoke. Meant to say applauding the effort after losses, nobody is applauding the loss. The effort should be there every time though, you shouldn't have to hope the effort will show up. That's a Geno philosophy. I absolutely see the positives in this game, but overall what @Scoe said is right, it would be disrespectful to the program and team for us to just applaud the effort in a game we lost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom