Former UConn men’s basketball guard Tyrese Martin secures NBA G League Elite Camp invite > NBA Draft Combine invite | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Former UConn men’s basketball guard Tyrese Martin secures NBA G League Elite Camp invite > NBA Draft Combine invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kids going to be on a roster at some point next year
Would love to see Tyrese in the league. NBA body, tough kid, humble demeanor. He would represent UConn well.

Reaction Score
Would love to see Tyrese in the league. NBA body, tough kid, humble demeanor. He would represent UConn well.
And improving 3-pt shot. He does play some great defense even in these scrimmages. Also, he rebounds well for his size.

Reaction Score
His handle looks like it’s improved tremendously since he left too. That was something I thought he needed to be better at when he was here, in my opinion. I hope the Pacers snag him

Reaction Score
He’s been playing against a higher level of competition since he left and I’m sure it’s helping him elevate his game.

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the NBA at all, but is there any chance he gets taken at the end of the 1st round to get a guaranteed contract? Christian Braun from KU is a projected 1st round pick in that 26-30 range by some analysts. Tyrese and Braun have almost identical stats (Tyrese is a better rebounder and 3pt shooter). I don't understand how one guy is a 1st rounder and the other is seen as an undrafted guy.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I don't really follow the NBA at all, but is there any chance he gets taken at the end of the 1st round to get a guaranteed contract? Christian Braun from KU is a projected 1st round pick in that 26-30 range by some analysts. Tyrese and Braun have almost identical stats (Tyrese is a better rebounder and 3pt shooter). I don't understand how one guy is a 1st rounder and the other is seen as an undrafted guy.

Unlikely but I think he did play himself from undrafted to a potential 2nd round pick. Keep in mind he was on zero draft boards before Portsmouth and the elite camp, so he did himself some huge favors by playing well in those.

For reference and maybe comparison sake, Jared Rhoden is now on some mock drafts in the late 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Not that it makes a huge difference getting drafted late 2nd round v. signed undrafted but there are only 58 picks this year instead of 60 since two teams had to forfeit picks. Back end of draft you're almost better going undrafted but something to be aware of if Martin were to be a top 50-60 guy on team big boards.

Reaction Score
I doubt he'll sneak into the first round but I could definitely see him being a successful NBA player. Draymond Green was drafted in the second round and look where he is now. Just seems like Rese gets better and better every time he steps onto the court. His hunger and love for the game will take him a long way and make him a lot of $$

Reaction Score
Being 23 years old hurts a good amount in the draft. Beyond that, FOMO drives stock rising in the draft. Showing up on lists and buzz among scouts creates FOMO that pushes people up, Martin hasn't been part of the conversation much, if at all, until just now.

Reaction Score
There is always a chance of this. If the Warriors, Suns, 76ers, Bucks and other title contenders are in need of a player who can step in right away, then why not?

Teams don’t need projects. I think the developmental part of it is swinging back towards players becoming ready to contribute.

What’s the point of drafting a player as a playoff team and getting nothing out of it for 2 years?

In the lottery? You got for highest ceiling. Playoff team?

You have to balance with immediate productivity in that rookie contract.

Reaction Score
Braun is more athletic and better run and jump athlete. Martin is slightly longer, a lot stronger, and tougher (and still a good athlete).

Main thing is Martin being 2 years older and Braun already being more skilled with a higher BBIQ. Martin isn't likely to close that gap over time since he's older. Braun might be able to get to Martin's strength, though.

If Martin had shot like he did this year 2 years ago, he'd have been a 1st rounder. As it is, it's a little out of the blue and not consistent with his past results, so he'll meet with some skepticism unless he proves its sustained shooting.

Reaction Score
Braun is more athletic and better run and jump athlete. Martin is slightly longer, a lot stronger, and tougher (and still a good athlete).

Main thing is Martin being 2 years older and Braun already being more skilled with a higher BBIQ. Martin isn't likely to close that gap over time since he's older. Braun might be able to get to Martin's strength, though.

If Martin had shot like he did this year 2 years ago, he'd have been a 1st rounder. As it is, it's a little out of the blue and not consistent with his past results, so he'll meet with some skepticism unless he proves its sustained shooting.
Braun's Max vert is only 1 inch more than Tyrese, athleticism is probably a wash, when including strength and versatility. Braun is definitely shiftier though.

Reaction Score
John Hollinger mentioned Tyrese in his Athletic draft notebook today -

• Jared Rhoden, Seton Hall and Tyrese Martin, Connecticut: A pair of tough, physical wings from the Big East who parlayed great outings at the Portsmouth Invitational into strong G League camps and combine invites. Both defended well and attacked the basket, using mature frames to overpower some of the younger guys at both events. Rhoden is slightly more interesting to a wider swath of NBA teams due to his elite length, but both should expect to end up as two-way contract players. Each of them has really helped themselves throughout the pre-draft process.

Reaction Score
Being 23 years old hurts a good amount in the draft. Beyond that, FOMO drives stock rising in the draft. Showing up on lists and buzz among scouts creates FOMO that pushes people up, Martin hasn't been part of the conversation much, if at all, until just now.
Sorry... FOMO =?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99